HTC Vive resolution and  focus

I could be guessing wrong, but it looks to me like, with that latest SteamVR beta, Elite's HMD Quality may now be a multiplier *on top* of the RenderTargetMultiplier in your SteamVR config, instead of supplanting it, the way it did before.

The blurriness seems to stem from your now even larger frame buffer consuming the lion's share of your video ram, leaving very little for textures, so you become stuck with lower levels of detail.

...so the solution to your problem appears to be to reduce your HMD Q to 1, or whatever ultimately produces the old value of 2, together with your SteamVR supersampling value. That should return you to your previous effective settings.

I am definitely going to consider torturing my wallet with a 1080ti when they appear. Even if their power is not /that/ much better, ED could obviously use any extra memory they might offer. I have configured for planets to use 8k textures, and tried to do the same for the skybox, but that led not only to insane stuttering in the the hyperspace tunnel, whilst generating it, but after a couple of jumps, DirectX would throw its hands up in the air and complain about not being able to allocate buffers (980ti here). Looked amazing though. :7

In other "news", my Vive suddenly became a whole new HMD for me, an hour ago:

Finding it beginning to become a little hard to focus really close up (half a metre or so), I bought a pair of cheap glasses for bed reading, today, and on a whim decided to try them in the Vive. -Well, what can I say... The screen door effect was always very apparent and sharply defined to me, but doubly so with the glasses, and the whole imagery got sharper along with it. Everything also looked suddenly larger, and the rills of the fresnel lens became defocussed and much less annoying, losing both their definition and "doubling" effect, even though the amount of additive light remains about the same.

This strikes me as rather odd, since the Vive is hardly supposed to present the equivalent of a 0.3m focus, which is the only distance, plus/minus a scant centimetre, at which I am getting focus with the (+1.5) spectacles in real life, but if not infinity, then at least a metre or two.

I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth though: Things frankly look almost as sharp as in the Rift now, to me, even with the higher PPD of the latter. Unfortunately it also seems to come with some of the image distortion that the Rift has.

After this revelation, I fully intend to try a set of different strength lenses for best effect, and then order some lens inserts from VR Lens Lab.

Last edited:
Thanks for a Tip. I haven't rendertargetmultiplier line in steamvr settings since EDH 2.2 , so I reduced in game HMD Q for 1.0 and added SS 2.0 at steamvr config. Now is working again and image is superb sharp. Looks like new HMD firmware is ok but new steamvr app (9 or 8th dec update ) generating issues. If I'm not wrong HMD Q in game is not effective anymore ( steamvr take over SS ) and only consuming extra vram.

Last edited:
Oh, no, it /is/ effective; If you max it out, aliasing shimmer is reduced by quite a lot (and asynchronous reprojection somehow manages to keep up surprisingly well, with the view stuttering a bit, and showing the edges creeping in, when turning your head), but that's because (with 2.0 in both places) you're rendering 16 times the normal pixel count, which is 1.4 times that of the physical displays to begin with (...and, as you say, consequently appear to run out of vram, or whatever else may prevent higher LODs from streaming in). :9
(LATE EDIT: ...assuming the "HMD Quality" setting really /is/ full-screen supersampling; I don't believe that was ever confirmed. :7)

I decided to have a gander at my new asp from one of the hangar walkways, by the way, and then noticed that the particularly stubborn aliasing on the edges of the shock absorbers, that the floor is suspended by, is apparently /not/ from polygon edges, as I had thought, but from reflections. Maybe that particular shader could be modfied with a bit of blurring, or extra sampling from the envmap if that's what's used (EDIT: ...and possibly the normal map, too), or something... :7

EDIT: Oh, by the way, while we're at it: I trust everybody present are aware that a number of betas back, Valve separated the renderTargetMultiplier thing, so that any bits that does not come from the running game, has their own supersamling value?

...so if one want the chaperone bounds and Steam dashboard and desktop capture, etc, to still look sharp, and can afford the overhead, one has to add a second renderTargetMultiplier entry to the "compositor" section of steamvr.vrsettings. (This has come up again, a couple of times recently, when something has slashed the value down to 0.1, "behind the backs" of some people, leaving them confused at their suddenly blurry interface)

Last edited:
I saw a thing on Reddit last week about an advanced settings feature that could be enabled in SteamVr which allowed sliders to change the render target for the compositor and the interface separately.

Never tried it out though

I haven't been using VR for ~4 weeks because I have been catching up with some podcasts & netflix while playing. To day I checked out VR again and it had a bunch of firmware updates on steam VR. After updating my Vive I set everything to vanilla on Steam VR and VR Ultra in game - runs very smoothly now on these settings - even in fancy tourist stations.

Before I couldn't stop the jerkyness in stations when I moved my head. I am using an Nvidia 1070 and i5 6600K with 16Gb Ram

Trying to emulate what is being described on this thread:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/274325-How-to-get-Elite-in-VR-looking-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-D

I still have performance issues. I've despised this 25 hour trial-and-error process in the extreme, and would gladly pay someone $50 to get me working beyond "I can put up with it" levels.

I have a GTX 1080, i7 6700, CPU 4.6 gHz, 16 GB RAM. I turned off the Desktop Game Theater in Steam, turned off Interleaved Reprojection. I have this in the config file, "renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.2, SS set at 1, HMD at 1, and here are my graphics settings:

EDscreen1.png

Everything looks pretty good, even a little impressive, except for the 1) awful shimmer at stations, 2) the merely annoying screendoor effect, and 3) the fact that you have to took right at stars, centered in the lenses, to get them to be fully resolved - when off-center they're streaky. No matter what I do, however, I can't get rid of the motion jutter. And I hope someone has suggested to FDev to allow us to dim the throttle and flight stick lights so that we can reduce, or totally eliminate, that ridiculous glare.

Stations: look good, bad jutter
Planets: look better than good, medium jutter
Open space: looks really good, mild, intermittent jutter
RESs: look really good, bad jutter

I tried OCing the GPU, but with both Afterburner and EVGA, just by taking it up from 1607 to 1700 (boost 1900) or so, it actually blurred the resolution to about what VR Low-Medium would be by in-game settings, even at SS 1.25. Still can't figure that one out. I actually had to uninstall both OC'ers to restore the graphic quality, even though I'd reset the GPU to default.

How davedf above is outperforming my set up is strange, unless he's OC'd on the GPU, or jutter doesn't bother him. Setting in-game to Ultra really didn't change anything from the above complaints.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'm serious about the $50.

Last edited:
There are lots of folks here that know this stuff better than I do, but with 2.2, I removed my supersampling set in the rendertargetmultiplier and set the HMD image quality higher (1.5, IIRC). I think I also used a supersampling value above 1.0 (maybe 1.25, I'm not currently at my gaming computer to check). Those settings removed the shimmer, and performance seems pretty good. I'm running a 1070 with an older overclocked 3870K, so you should be able to achieve better results than me.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I remembered after the above post that removing the multiplier set actually got me to a decent sweet spot, so it's actually pretty good. Good to great graphics except for stations, which are substandard no matter what, but mostly smooth motion, intermittent jutter, in everything but RESs. I don't know what's standard on the other points, such as are stars only totally resolved when looking right at them? Smeary or elongated when not looking right at them? And the screen door effect is pretty standard with the Vive?

Last edited:
Smeary or elongated when not looking right at them?

Welcome to the world of the fresnel lenses both Valve/HTC and Oculus choose to put in their first generation consumer HMDs. Not too fond of the tradeoff myself, even though I was one of the worst complainers about the (even) smaller "spot that's in focus" of the Rift DK1. :7

And the screen door effect is pretty standard with the Vive?

Yep. Both these two issues are hardware ones - not much FD can do about that, without bringing back blue space. :7

That render multiplier line of code is bogus for my rig. Like etarm above suggested, HMD to 1.5 and SS to 1.25, the graphics are incredible. I'm actually kinda blown away by it. But the jutter lag is there all the time for pitch and roll motion, and so I don't know what the trick is to get performance up. GPU overclocking was strange for me, since it actually made system performance FAR worse and made the graphics fuzzy. All I know is the goal is to leave the settings where they are and get the jutter out. Have I got to get more FPS? Or wait for the GTX 1100?

That render multiplier line of code is bogus for my rig. Like etarm above suggested, HMD to 1.5 and SS to 1.25, the graphics are incredible. I'm actually kinda blown away by it. But the jutter lag is there all the time for pitch and roll motion, and so I don't know what the trick is to get performance up. GPU overclocking was strange for me, since it actually made system performance FAR worse and made the graphics fuzzy. All I know is the goal is to leave the settings where they are and get the jutter out. Have I got to get more FPS? Or wait for the GTX 1100?

I would think you'd be fine with those settings and a 1080. Maybe the problem is with "interleaved reprojection". I have "allow interleaved reprojection" unchecked and "allow aysnchronous projection" checked. You might try that. I'm not noticing a judder (well, maybe every once in awhile, but it's very infrequent.)

Last edited:
If it's juddering, doesn't that imply your GFX settings are too high for your system to maintain the FPS ?

If it's juddering, doesn't that imply your GFX settings are too high for your system to maintain the FPS ?

It does indeed, but they shouldn't be too high. I'm now overclocked on the CPU to 4.4, overclocked on the GTX 1080 to a boost of 2000, and on in-game settings etarm above is running without judder on a 1070. I still get mild judder on lower GFX settings than he has, so there is something most definitely wrong somewhere.

There is a third tickbox to do with reprojection. This one is in the developer section and is called "always-on reprojection". Maybe you have that one active? Either way; What happens if you change it?

It does indeed, but they shouldn't be too high. I'm now overclocked on the CPU to 4.4, overclocked on the GTX 1080 to a boost of 2000, and on in-game settings etarm above is running without judder on a 1070. I still get mild judder on lower GFX settings than he has, so there is something most definitely wrong somewhere.

I have a 1080, I run the settings mentioned in the 'crystal clear' thread from aio and z4. I get a little edge-object judder on occasion at res points, which is acceptable given the amount of objects being rendered vs one on one combat. Recommendations for SteamVR SS @ 1.2, HMD @ 1.25, Antialiasing on FXAA/SMAA, or even disabling it all together with your rendering/ss settings - it still looks good but compare your FPS. Many of us have had excellent results with the 'crystal clear' settings, and others start there and wind back the visial settings until the judder goes away. There's much more to the PC than GPU/CPU (edit: that reads a little patronizing, sorry that's not the intent) ... a rubbish motherboard, or ram, will slow things too which is partly why we'll never get the same results across the board unless we have identical computers. Also, an often overlooked and underrated point is that we all have different levels of what we think is acceptable - an example is, a pal of mine uses the same settings on his 980 that i do on my 1080, and he's fine with it and thinks it looks great. I can't play on his system at all.

The screen door can't be changed, you're looking at a monitor/screen from a couple centimetres away, through a magnifying glass :)

If your download speed can do it with little time wasted, I'd even consider reinstalling SteamVR and/or Elite

- - - Updated - - -

There is a third tickbox to do with reprojection. This one is in the developer section and is called "always-on reprojection". Maybe you have that one active? Either way; What happens if you change it?

These settings have also been discussed, and explained, so these you want Async ON, Interleaved OFF, Always-on ON

Last edited:
I have a 1080, I run the settings mentioned in the 'crystal clear' thread from aio and z4. I get a little edge-object judder on occasion at res points, which is acceptable given the amount of objects being rendered vs one on one combat. Recommendations for SteamVR SS @ 1.2, HMD @ 1.25, Antialiasing on FXAA/SMAA, or even disabling it all together with your rendering/ss settings - it still looks good but compare your FPS. Many of us have had excellent results with the...

Always-On Reprojection helped noticeably just now, but I think I might know what's going on. First off, the performance is more than acceptable now, and the graphics are just jaw-dropping. Even though some guys are saying EDFX isn't working with the Direct to HMD configuration, I'm thinking it's possible mine is. Certainly the HUD is my color setting. The screenshots I've been grabbing in VR are WAY beyond anything I've shot in non-VR, even with EDFX, and so there's a link to one below. Maybe you guys can tell me if it appears the graphics, especially the color and contrast, are enhanced. If so, that might explain it. But set on Ultra VR, both SS and HMD at 1.25, not really any judder in open space, a little on planets, a little at stations. If EDFX is hampering the performance a little, I'm dead-on good with it, because this experience is exceeding my expectations by orders of magnitude.

Sorry, this forum's image handling is atrocious. Here's the direct link. This is just the galactic arm we see everywhere all the time. Is this how yours looks?

http://imgur.com/a/giy5U

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
anyone noticed that in new beta 2.2.03 update 4 changelog we got:

"VR
- Enabled dithering for VR to reduce banding
"

But again this improvement for Rifters and this totally unfair cos they don't take seriously our issues..

Last edited:
Top Bottom