Patch Notes: Bug Fixes

Why is it that FD releases NOTHING in between major updates?

I usually look forward to the new patches.........but not for the content. I look forward to them hoping to God that FD fixes something they broke 3 g months ago. But i also fear them, because i know any new bugs they introduce (or old bugs they fail to fix) will be in the game until the next major update.

I get that they are a small dev team...... and i get they are working hard on new content..... but Bug Fixes seem to be so far down their priority list its baffling.

As much as i would like to see new features all i really wanna see is "Patch Notes: Bug Fixes"

Ah. I guess those minor patches are major updates to you then?

If so I'd love to point towards several server side updates and fixes since then (which are way more convenient to players). But unfortunately I don't have all of those at my fingertips :)

Here's the most recent: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/324764-Server-update

Is it still "NOTHING"?

edit: fine, okay. real updates are non existent

Last edited:
Ah. I guess those minor patches are major updates to you then?

If so I'd love to point towards several server side updates and fixes since then (which are way more convenient to players). But unfortunately I don't have all of those at my fingertips :)

Here's the most recent: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/324764-Server-update

Is it still "NOTHING"?

edit: fine, okay. real updates are non existent

Sorry. My apologies. To be more accurate i should have said "Practically nothing" and "Few and far between".

I could give tons of examples but i will just use 1 or 2

The heat meta.
Should have been adjusted within days. Not MONTHS

Ship launched fighters
causing kills not to count and launching pre-damaged.....been around for a while

Edit: premium ammo bug. HAD to mention this one. Been around for months and wasnt addresses by the last patch meaning it will be there till the next update.

Last edited:
We had very frequent updates during the first season.
It was a deliberate decision to deal this down, announced in a dev update. (Unfortunately, I don't have a link.)

Two reasons (not mentioned in the dev note, but what I figure):
A) Launching updates is time intensive. They need to be prepared and accompanied afterwards. Every update means crunch-time for the developer team - something that is not possible to keep up as a normal state, if you don't want to risk burnout. Less frequent updates are better, here.
B) Some players were upset when they had to download new patches every other day. They complained, that this took away of their play time. Less frequent updates are considerate of these players.

Last edited:
We had very frequent updates during the first season.
It was a deliberate decision to deal this down, announced in a dev update. (Unfortunately, I don't have a link.)

Two reasons:
A) Launching updates is time intensive. They need to be prepared and accompanied afterwards. Every update means crunch-time for the developer team - something that is not possible to keep up as a normal state, if you don't want to risk burnout. Less frequent updates are better, here.
B) Some players were upset when they had to download new patches every other day. They complained, that this took away of their play time. Less frequent updates are considerate of these players.

B is a load of hores s(poop)

I find it ridiculous to assume people would rather be inconvenienced for months by game bugs and broken mechanics than have a 2 minute update

I usually look forward to the new patches.........but not for the content. I look forward to them hoping to God that FD fixes something they broke 3 g months ago. But i also fear them, because i know any new bugs they introduce (or old bugs they fail to fix) will be in the game until the next major update.

I get that they are a small dev team...... and i get they are working hard on new content..... but Bug Fixes seem to be so far down their priority list its baffling.

As much as i would like to see new features all i really wanna see is "Patch Notes: Bug Fixes"

As long as the same number of players keep playing, why would they? Business metrics state all is well.

I returned to ED as ive learned the guyme is now getting better and playing it, i see that. When it wasnt, i left and nourished other guymes i have end game
dev characters in...you as a player must act in accord with what you feel otherwise, you are sending the wrong message.

Last edited:
B is a load of hores s(poop)

I find it ridiculous to assume people would rather be inconvenienced for months by game bugs and broken mechanics than have a 2 minute update

Here is why:

Some people aren't affected or inconvenienced by anything you've listed, at all - and may in fact take much more than 2 minutes to update their entire client (it's hours for many on patch day).

Was any of it to do with limited data allowance? Didn't see any of it myself, just curious..

I can't assume their reasons, of course. But I think, YinYin is right in respect to the necessary download time. Nevertheless, I never found the updates too frequent and the complains were exaggerated, imo.

Here is why:

Some people aren't affected or inconvenienced by anything you've listed, at all - and may in fact take much more than 2 minutes to update their entire client (it's hours for many on patch day).

Again, i call B.S.

None of the updates, or even the installation of ED itself take hours unless your connection is utter garbage. And if your connection IS that bad, you are probably one of those people constantly complaining about poor instancing, long drops etc.......

It's no issue on the day after the patch. But on patch day no super cool connection will help you unless you happen to have a super short direct and prioritised line to the server. Which obviously not everyone can have.

And that alone is a day gone, which may have been the only available day during someones week.

I might be able to offer some insight into the process.

First, bugs have to be found/reported and entered into a database.
Then the bug gets fixed, which takes however long it takes.
The new version has then to be tested by an internal QA department, making sure that the fix actually works and more importantly, that nothing else was broken in the process. This can take hours or days, depending on the scope of the bug.
Now, since Elite is a multi platform title released on two consoles (soon at least), you might have to get the new version of the game certified by Microsoft/Sony, a process that is not only quite expensive but also very thorough and if any error is found (might be something minor like the word Playstation in lower case), you fail certification and have to go through it again, incurring new costs.
(disclaimer, I am not sure if every new major version has to be certified again).

Long story short, in most cases it is not the developers being lazy or bad work ethics or anything like that but rather considerations that are not immediately apparent and have very little do to with the actual process of fixing the bug itself.

The main reason they don't release updates as frequent anymore is because it turned out they introduced lots of bugs in these updates.

We had ~ 160 patches in the last 2.5 years (including beta), that's more than one update/week.

Drop to the wing beacon at a resource extracion site is broken since 2.0 or 2.1 can not remember exactly. Funny when the only tip for some bugs is to "please tell is if it still happens after the next update". Maybe some bugs disappear themself for couriosity, but I won't hope so...

Rote1-
Many of these bugs have long since been reported.
The certification process is used too often as an excuse. Other devs fix their games in a timely fashon

Babelfisch-
Beta patches mean precicely D(Richard) to anyone playing on the live servers and it is not appropriate to count them for the purposes of this discussion. So, I pose this question to you. When did horizons go live? And excluding november and january, how many other "downloadable" updates have there been since?

Vrseven-
Launch a slf in a conflict zone and it will freeze your kill counter. Even if you re enter your mothership.

Top Bottom