Elite Expedition: The Search for Color! (sequel to: The Wrath of Beige)

verminstar

Banned
1 word: Multicrew.

Scientific accuracy: "mayday, mayday, we're taking hits, going down"

Or die in the Srv...after magically refuelling and repairing it...then wake up in yer ship orbiting the planet.

Scientific accuracy? There is now a level zero. Shame I cant repair my ship in the same ways...I certainly have enough rare mats to get 100% bonus like the srv does ^

Last edited:
1 word: Multicrew.

Scientific accuracy: "mayday, mayday, we're taking hits, going down"

The environment should be as realistic as is practical, only our interaction with it is fiction. I'm not a big fan of telepresence (in an era where this is a thing why do we fly ships at all? It's inconsistent) but I don't see any hypocrisy on FDev's part in the specific argument you give.

The environment should be as realistic as is practical, only our interaction with it is fiction. I'm not a big fan of telepresence (in an era where this is a thing why do we fly ships at all? It's inconsistent) but I don't see any hypocrisy on FDev's part in the specific argument you give.
I'm not blaming FDev of hypocrisy, I'm blaming them for lack of consistency.

Why are all HMC and MR planets boring beige/brown?
Well scientific accuracy you see.

Why can I just hop in anyone's ship at any time? That's not scientifically accurate!
Well, gameplay reasons you see.

Is the way Neutron Stars and White Dwarfs are displayed scientifically accurate? I doubt it, but it makes for pretty pictures. My guess is FD doesn't deem the colour of HMCs and MRs important enough to spend more resources on, so they're using the scientifically accurate escape pod.

Last edited:
I'm thinking there may be room for a few more variables in the mix.

Anyone can make pancakes if you have the basic ingredients, but you need some strawberries for strawberry pancakes.

2 Cents [noob]

I'm not blaming FDev of hypocrisy, I'm blaming them for lack of consistency.

Why are all HMC and MR planets boring beige/brown?
Well scientific accuracy you see.

Why can I just hop in anyone's ship at any time? That's not scientifically accurate!
Well, gameplay reasons you see.

Is the way Neutron Stars and White Dwarfs are displayed scientifically accurate? I doubt it, but it makes for pretty pictures. My guess is FD doesn't deem the colour of HMCs and MRs important enough to spend more resources on, so they're using the scientifically accurate escape pod.

Your response seems to boil down to 'don't like it'. You're allowed to not like it, it's subjective. But if you think it's unrealistic that's an objective statement with no corresponding evidence. What are you basing your doubts on?

There are several images of real planets/moons where the detail & variation over the surface far exceed what we see in the game, but greys, reds & browns pervade. In the game the landable bodies typically display a three colour gamut based on altitude - plains, mountains & valleys, with splodges of variation for ejecta. I'd be happy for FDev to refine this model to include more variety (for the sake of improved accuracy) but the basic colour scheme seems to line up better than before with what scant information we do have about these extrasolar bodies.

Last edited:
Your response seems to boil down to 'don't like it'.
Does it now? So all them words I wrote making them sentences you're ignoring were a waste of effort. Noted, won't make the mistake of spending any effort in a reply again.

After all, why read someones arguments on a forum geared towards discussion? That way madness lies.

I'm in. I'm taking a break from the Guardians' ruins mistery and started a exploration trip in search of black holes. I still have 2.500ly to reach my destination, and on my way back to the bubble, which is a 7.500ly trip, I will try to find any surviving HMC planets of this plague.

Heres a funny thing that will mess with the so called realism excuse. There are crater impacts on HMC and MR but none on other planets...so meteors which are made of metal are drawn by by other magnetised HMC perhaps and never hit anything else? Stick that in yer realism pipe ^

Nice one, except it isn't true.
Planets that have more active geology do have less crater impacts and more other geological features. But saying only MRs and HMCs feature craters is like saying all planets gone beige - hyperbolic to the extreme.

It's a shame all these threads are hijacked this way, making proper conversation impossible.

If what we currently have is scientific accurate in regards to metal planets without atmosphere then I'm very dissapointed in our Galaxy. Can it really be that boring of a place?

Definitely not. Frontier haven't figured out how to make the rest of the galaxy as interesting and varied as the hand crafted planets in Sol. Once they do, the problem of variation will sort itself out.

I do fear humanity will never see a neutron star upfront, but given this is the closest we've got so far, I think neutron stars do appear accurate (without accretion discs that are promised to come anyway).

(starts at 0:46s)
[video=youtube_share;pIoDD_TDsZI]https://youtu.be/pIoDD_TDsZI?t=46s[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely not. Frontier haven't figured out how to make the rest of the galaxy as interesting and varied as the hand crafted planets in Sol. Once they do, the problem of variation will sort itself out.

I haven't landed on any of the planets in Sol, are those really that much better looking?

Great Mission Mengy and well put forth. I wish you great success on your journey for color.

Perhaps the projector bulb for the galaxy was changed with a cheaper brand last time it was replaced :)

May your journeys lead to the rainbow.

I do fear humanity will never see a neutron star upfront, but given this is the closest we've got so far, I think neutron stars do appear accurate (without accretion discs that are promised to come anyway).

(starts at 0:46s)
https://youtu.be/pIoDD_TDsZI?t=46s

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't landed on any of the planets in Sol, are those really that much better looking?

Well, this is true only if we are looking through the canopy with x-ray vision. Given the star in this video is only twelve miles across, perhaps the original version we had was more realistic in visible light.

One thing seems likely though, they are not beige.

I'm not buying the scientific accuracy excuse. Easier to implement, not bothered to spend more resources on, who gives a toss about planet colours, those I believe.

But... they had more varied colours and then reduced them. So they actually spent resources making the galaxy beige-ier.

But... they had more varied colours and then reduced them. So they actually spent resources making the galaxy beige-ier.
I'm guessing unfortunate side effect, justified as scientific accuracy after the fact.

The FD bewilderment when this was first reported puzzles me if this is working as intended. But then again, I'm easily puzzled.

Well, this is true only if we are looking through the canopy with x-ray vision. Given the star in this video is only twelve miles across, perhaps the original version we had was more realistic in visible light.

One thing seems likely though, they are not beige.

May or may not - we don't have data about how it looks like in visible light spectrum.
I'm sorry it isn't beige, here you go with a healthy dose.
just_beige_light_beige.jpg

The planets have always been mono or duo chrome. Just the number of colors on the palette was reduced. Going back to monochrome green isn't really an improvement over monochrome beige. What we need are proc gen planets that can host a variety of colors on the same planet surface. Proc gen coloration is probably a LOT more complex than it sounds, especially on a zoomed in 3D surface that is attempting to look believable. They've made significant progress on this front for ice planets, but rocky and metallic are lagging a bit behind. Although the latest textures aren't too shabby.

IMHO the best looking HMCs or MRs are around blue-white stars

Ironic that you should mention blue-white stars. After jumping through a plethora of junk or empty systems I finally came across one with an F star that had a few ringed HMC’s orbiting it. The color of these planets was different than the previous HMC’s I’d come across on this expedition:

5IZ4ij0.jpg

FJCMcsN.jpg

AY1reVF.jpg

6QUkFMv.jpg

jnBkEYf.jpg

2Wrsw6N.jpg

PLtw06Y.jpg

EonhfuG.jpg

Planets 1 and 2 are much lighter in color than the other HMC’s I’d seen on this expedition, much more white than beige. Planets 3 and 4 however are slightly more beige in coloring, but still lighter in shade than the others. All four display the same physical characteristics that seem to be common with HMC’s: monochrome in color save for a couple of areas that are shaded very slightly darker, mostly flat terrain, many little craters with a few large impact craters showing visible ejecta blankets, and not many mountains nor canyons at all. Bland in both coloring and surface features without much variety at all.

The lighter coloring is most likely the result of the white F star, whereas all of the other HMC’s were orbiting red-orange M stars. Truth be told though these four lighter HMC’s are the more accurate colors due to the purer white light, these are more true beige than all of the pictures I’ve posted before. The M star HMC’s are actually a more tan color than beige. Still, despite the wonderful rings surrounding these planets, they are rather dull and boring to look at. Nowhere near as interesting looking as the rocky or ice worlds I’ve logged so far.

Despite some good investigative work being done, this mission appears very far from being successful or over. I’ve yet to find either a metal rich planet or an HMC which displays some variations in its coloring and terrain features. The search goes on….

Top Bottom