2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
+rep

I got the reference!

Ah Your such a hero with your words of wisdom. If you haven't noticed already we are the ones paying for the game so we do have SOME entitlement to be upset at two delays... anyhow personally I'm not too bothered but I hate how people have the audacity to say you haven't got the right to be upset.... (FDevs your still doing a great jump though so keep up the good work)

I'm gonna write, You haven't got the right to have RIGHTS!!!!, Alright

We will fight all night, despite the lack of light,
the wrong and the right,
the upset and the white'knight!
This is our plight :p

I got a bit carried away there :D

Good question.

I think it's just developer empathy. Everyone's been in that tight spot before where nothing's working and you don't know why, and it's gonna take time to work out why even though there are clients waiting for you.

Not really.... I am a dev, some stuff I understand, some stuff from this end I've seem from game studios (not naming names) looks very poor, you can often see examples of poor communication (not Fdevs strongest suit either) and poor project management even if you aren't involved in the projects.

And the key thing to not annoying your customers is proper expectation management, and building into any timelines plenty of time for issues! If you think you will have something ready in 5 days if all goes well you NEVER under any circumstances say "it'll be ready in 5 days" You just don't!

I have every sympathy for bugs being found last min and issues this can cause - anyone who watched the live stream could tell there were big issues! But waiting till after the anticipated release (beta's normally start on Tuesday that was widely expected and FDev could have shot that down long ago) then Late on Thursday saying "yeah guys issues, it'll be Monday" then late on Monday saying "ooops, we did it again! update tomorrow morning" then no update the following morning..... that I have no sympathy at all for! That's the sort of stuff that devs who don't make games but "real world stuff" get sacked for!

People I know who are game devs have a much higher tolerance for this than those I know who don't....most "real world" devs are not particularly flattering about how game devs operate. And sure part of that is them wanting to be making cool games rather than the boring project they are working on, but part of it is knowing a "lets wing it" operation when they see it.... IMO FDev need to get a lot better at the comms, at expectation management, right now it's the sort of level you expect from devs who just got a few volunteers to do it....

Hmmm...

delayed to the 29th February...? :D

Watch the fruit of bad decision of going with p2p grow into the Giant Worldtree of Woe. These problems are very hard to debug, everything is unreliable and wonky and actual live tests will be even worse, as reliance on the network reliability grows.

Even the decision of doing huge update, that actually depends on networking, instead of bringing love to long range solitary explorers and miners is somewhat dubious.

Feel like at this point it's going to be pushed another day, got a feeling if it were going to be today we would've heard something by now?

Last edited:
I've certainly had the awful moment in testing when you find a use case you haven't tested that is actually quite common - and you need to fix it because it's a show-stopper. You can't reasonably test everything and sometimes it's only later in the cycle you come across things. Sometimes you just disable a feature until you sort it out in beta, sometimes you can't do that.

The reason for the delay could be anything. Could be they've just found out it crashes on AMD Processors or magnetic drives or something, Could be that they can't get the sodding IPv6 network code to work properly (you saw how often then got kicked out of the demo?). Could be that they're been reading this board and said "We must redo multicrew to a different approach - it's pretty clear we chose the wrong design candidate". Could be "Holo Me" is actually a registered trademark of "Patent Trolls Inc". or the Cypriot cheese marketing board has objected to it.

Could be that one of the testing PCs just zapped it's HDD and they're just making sure it was a defective SATA controller, and not the game code that caused it. (yes, real world example - how to fudge do I know why an entirely blank HDD just did that to itself - logically the code that did it was on the, now blank, HDD along with it's logs and isn't available for analysis!)

These things happen. If this was certain developers I'd be being asked to pay for DLC packs and Christ knows what given the number of updates and improvements incoming.

Feel like at this point it's going to be pushed another day, got a feeling if it were going to be today we would've heard something by now?

No rules for beta delivery. Sometimes it could be late in the day (6pm).

So nop. Impossible to figure something.

wow - some people all upset about frontier delaying the bug catching beta as they're catching bugs in it.
I could understand some of the impatience if it was the release version but the beta, get a grip. [wacko]

I know, silly humans I guess.

Imagine the salt if the Beta was shipped on friday evening riddled with bugs...

Last edited:
I know, silly humans I guess.

Imagine the salt if the Beta was shipped on friday evening riddled with bugs...

Pretty sure the general reaction wouldn't be too bad since we all know it's a beta. The few that would freak out would be the ones that can't be taken seriously anyway. Most of us know it's a real beta and not the PR garbage most developers push out these days abusing the term.

Last edited:
Frontier take you're time even when it's ready wait a bit more. There is no hurry and you should not reward the saltyness displayed in this thread.

Next week will do.

I get it I do, the addicts want there fix but some of this stuff, It's embarrasing.

Last edited:
Not really.... I am a dev, some stuff I understand, some stuff from this end I've seem from game studios (not naming names) looks very poor, you can often see examples of poor communication (not Fdevs strongest suit either) and poor project management even if you aren't involved in the projects.

And the key thing to not annoying your customers is proper expectation management, and building into any timelines plenty of time for issues! If you think you will have something ready in 5 days if all goes well you NEVER under any circumstances say "it'll be ready in 5 days" You just don't!

I have every sympathy for bugs being found last min and issues this can cause - anyone who watched the live stream could tell there were big issues! But waiting till after the anticipated release (beta's normally start on Tuesday that was widely expected and FDev could have shot that down long ago) then Late on Thursday saying "yeah guys issues, it'll be Monday" then late on Monday saying "ooops, we did it again! update tomorrow morning" then no update the following morning..... that I have no sympathy at all for! That's the sort of stuff that devs who don't make games but "real world stuff" get sacked for!

People I know who are game devs have a much higher tolerance for this than those I know who don't....most "real world" devs are not particularly flattering about how game devs operate. And sure part of that is them wanting to be making cool games rather than the boring project they are working on, but part of it is knowing a "lets wing it" operation when they see it.... IMO FDev need to get a lot better at the comms, at expectation management, right now it's the sort of level you expect from devs who just got a few volunteers to do it....

Exactly. They mention that they have been working on future content for a long time, but in fact they seem to start developing something only after they make the announcement and then development is always rushed and with many problems.

Being upset is one thing. We all are upset on some level. What's going on in the forums is something different.
Not really. There are people vocally holding FD accountable, me included. However, I don't condone name calling or any of that stuff, but it is happening from everyone. It accomplishes nothing.

FD are a business, they take our money, and should be prepared to be held accountable when they fail to deliver over and over again.

If someone tells me they're going to do something, and then don't do it, I hold them accountable. I vote with my wallet in this situation, though. Any chance of me pre-ordering anything from them again is completely gone.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom