2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not really. There are people vocally holding FD accountable, me included. However, I don't condone name calling or any of that stuff, but it is happening from everyone. It accomplishes nothing.

FD are a business, they take our money, and should be prepared to be held accountable when they fail to deliver over and over again.

If someone tells me they're going to do something, and then don't do it, I hold them accountable. I vote with my wallet in this situation, though. Any chance of me pre-ordering anything from them again is completely gone.

Oh no, fdev close your doors droogie not going to pre-order it's all over[cry]

Oh no, fdev close your doors droogie not going to pre-order it's all over[cry]

Hyperbole much? Your post is as toxic as the ones people are complaining about. I simply said they should be held accountable. I do that with my wallet. I've been perfectly reasonable. You, however, are just trolling.

Not really.... I am a dev, some stuff I understand, some stuff from this end I've seem from game studios (not naming names) looks very poor, you can often see examples of poor communication (not Fdevs strongest suit either) and poor project management even if you aren't involved in the projects.

And the key thing to not annoying your customers is proper expectation management, and building into any timelines plenty of time for issues! If you think you will have something ready in 5 days if all goes well you NEVER under any circumstances say "it'll be ready in 5 days" You just don't!

I have every sympathy for bugs being found last min and issues this can cause - anyone who watched the live stream could tell there were big issues! But waiting till after the anticipated release (beta's normally start on Tuesday that was widely expected and FDev could have shot that down long ago) then Late on Thursday saying "yeah guys issues, it'll be Monday" then late on Monday saying "ooops, we did it again! update tomorrow morning" then no update the following morning..... that I have no sympathy at all for! That's the sort of stuff that devs who don't make games but "real world stuff" get sacked for!

People I know who are game devs have a much higher tolerance for this than those I know who don't....most "real world" devs are not particularly flattering about how game devs operate. And sure part of that is them wanting to be making cool games rather than the boring project they are working on, but part of it is knowing a "lets wing it" operation when they see it.... IMO FDev need to get a lot better at the comms, at expectation management, right now it's the sort of level you expect from devs who just got a few volunteers to do it....

Thanks you for sharing your experience !
In fact, announcing dates that weren't reachable create the frustration. Either for customers, either for the devs too !

Let's hope they can fix it, but in the future I hope they will be more careful with this part of the communication.

Frontier will release it an hour after this thread goes quiet.

Now shhhhhhhh children.

Last edited:
While I've been waiting for this Beta to be released I've been playing a really cool space game that actually delivers just about everything I've been looking for in a space game since I first played "Elite" in 1985. It's called "Elite: Dangerous".

Just remember why the waiting is so frustrating: This is a great game that just keeps getting better.

Really? Accountable? This is not some kind of legal case. It's a game. A free update for a game no less. Chill.

I'm sorry kerrash, while remaining as neutral as possible, I would like to kindly remind you that it is not a free update,

its is a release in a series of updates that you pay for upfront by means of the Season pass, if it was free then members with the base game would be getting 2.3 too

Not really.... I am a dev, some stuff I understand, some stuff from this end I've seem from game studios (not naming names) looks very poor, you can often see examples of poor communication (not Fdevs strongest suit either) and poor project management even if you aren't involved in the projects.

And the key thing to not annoying your customers is proper expectation management, and building into any timelines plenty of time for issues! If you think you will have something ready in 5 days if all goes well you NEVER under any circumstances say "it'll be ready in 5 days" You just don't!

I have every sympathy for bugs being found last min and issues this can cause - anyone who watched the live stream could tell there were big issues! But waiting till after the anticipated release (beta's normally start on Tuesday that was widely expected and FDev could have shot that down long ago) then Late on Thursday saying "yeah guys issues, it'll be Monday" then late on Monday saying "ooops, we did it again! update tomorrow morning" then no update the following morning..... that I have no sympathy at all for! That's the sort of stuff that devs who don't make games but "real world stuff" get sacked for!

People I know who are game devs have a much higher tolerance for this than those I know who don't....most "real world" devs are not particularly flattering about how game devs operate. And sure part of that is them wanting to be making cool games rather than the boring project they are working on, but part of it is knowing a "lets wing it" operation when they see it.... IMO FDev need to get a lot better at the comms, at expectation management, right now it's the sort of level you expect from devs who just got a few volunteers to do it....

I'm a long time developer. While I do agree that expectations can be managed better, I don't agree with much else you said. Frontier and it developers are eager to please. That's a quality far to lacking in many development shops. You seem to misinterpret that and jump to the conclusion that they have a lack of experience. That's largely and assumption on your part and not fair to Frontier.

Last edited:
It isn't free. Last time I checked, horizons costs extra money on top of the base game. Yes, accountable. It isn't a bad word.

Uhh... you do know that 2.3 isn't Horizons, right? All of 2 (2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4) is Horizons. If you haven't already purchased Horizons then the beta for 2.3 does not apply to you.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom