Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Heavy Metal

"It's not a big surprise to feel your temperature rise, you got a touch of redline fever.
'Cause there's just one cure that you know for sure, you just become a Heavy Metal believer."
--CMDR Felder

Lakon Spaceways is renown for their T-Series freighters and while ships of all classes have made appearances in BRC events and the Buckyball Run at one time or another, the Lakon transports are often overlooked in favor of faster, longer-range vessels. Heavy Metal is a celebration of these workhorses of the galaxy; the Lakon Type-6, -7 and -9 Heavy. Anyone with half decent reflexes can dance a nimble Eagle or Viper through an asteroid field, but it takes nerves of steel to boost a fully-laden Nine through the slot without requiring a call to the Bank of Zaonce's insurance adjuster after.

Heavy Metal is a bit of an experiment as much as a race, to test the capabilities of the three Lakon Types relative to one another, where range is not as important as delivery speed versus cargo capacity. In a nutshell, pilots will start at the port of their choice in Banapityas and make one trade run, out and back, to U Carinae and Sounti, as quickly as possible, making as much profit as they can through cargo hauling.

Your Flight Plan will look like this:
Banapityas -> U Carinae -> Banapityas -> Sounti -> Banapityas
OR Banapityas -> Sounti -> Banapityas -> U Carinae -> Banapityas

9mRO5Aa.png

Where to start and finish, and what cargo to haul is entirely up to the judgement of each individual pilot. There is no single starting/finish location, though the Heat Sink Pub at Treschov Ring/Banapityas A5 will be serving round the clock for Buckyballers looking for a place to hang their helmets between runs.

"Time is money."
--CMDR Franklin

Winners will be determined by calculating "Profit Per Second" - that is, the amount of credits earned divided by Total Time in Seconds. The more tonnage your ship can haul, the more profit you will make, but fuel costs and damage to your ship will cut into your profit and reduce your PPS. All ship types will run together, but a winner will be declared for each Type (6,7,9) in addition to the pilot with the greatest PPS.

"Have you got a 27B/6? Sorry, I'm a bit of a stickler for paperwork. Where would we be if we didn't follow the correct procedures?"
--CMDR Lowry

The Rules
  • Lakon Types 6, 7, and 9 only in this race.
  • Races can be flown in any mode (Open/Solo/Private)
  • Pilots start, trade, and finish at any port of their choosing as long as they adhere to the flight plan.
  • Type-6's may utilize medium pads on any platfoem as they see fit.
  • Engineering and premium resources (jumponium, etc) are legal.
  • Use of trade tools like EDDB is legal and encouraged.
  • Doing business through the Contact Board is forbidden. (No missions, no bounties, no picking up additional credits outside of trading commodities.)
  • Fuel and Repair costs will count against the PPS.
  • Time in station screens for loading/unloading cargo, repairs, etc., all count against total time.
  • Ships must be refuelled and repaired at the end of the race for proper PPS calculation.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CMDRs: Unlike most races, the dash clock will not be the timekeeper of record as takeoff and landing are secondary to when cargo is loaded/offloaded. The clock on the Commodities Screen should be captured after a ship's hold is full, and the final screenshot of the race will be the Station Services screen showing the time, pilot's location, credit balance and ship status.
The race ends 23 APR, 00:00 Galactic Standard Time. Race submissions submitted after will be accepted as long as the start time is before 23:59 on the 23rd.

"Honey, got no money, I'm all sixes and sevens and nines."
--CMDRs Richards, Jagger

To Enter:
Reply to this thread with your CMDR Name, Ship Name, Ship Type and Cargo Capacity

To Race:
  1. Research your route, find the one with the best commodities. Remember you can start and finish the race anywhere in Banapityas, and stop at any station when in U Carinae or Sounti.
  2. Open the Commodities Screen and take Screenshot #1 if not recording video. IMPORTANT: take this screenshot BEFORE you purchase cargo, or it will affect your starting balance/PPS rating in the end. Before purchase is also the start time of record for videographers, so purchase and launch quickly!
  3. Launch and head to either U Carinae or Sounti.
  4. Dock at any station and sell your goods. Load up your second haul, take the Second Screenshot of the Commodities screen.
  5. Return to Banapityas, dock at the station of your choice, sell your goods.
  6. Pick up your next order and take Screenshot #3 in the Commodities screen showing your payload.
  7. Fly to whichever system you have not visited and dock at the station of choice to sell your cargo. Pick up your final payload and take Screenshot #4 of the Commodities screen.
  8. Return to Banapityas and dock at the port of your choice. Land, and sell your final payload. Return to the station screen, Repair/Refuel/Restock All and take Screenshot #5, showing the time, location, and your credit balance.
  9. Use the SUBMIT TIME button to open the Official BRC Heavy Metal Submission Form (Link below the leaderboard) to enter your race details including the location of your screenshots. (Note if you take video but don't want to wait to encode and post it, play it back and take screenshots at the appropriate points.)
  10. Sit back, relax, and wait for the next Leaderboard Update. Or, if you think you can do better, run it again!
Note: Please do not post your race results in the thread. If you don't have an image host, fill out the form and use http://attachment.com as the location and PM me your attachments.
Another Note: Times/PPS will not be posted until the final day. A daily race report will indicate how close competitors are, and if a CMDR is particularly curious, he or she may PM ElectricZ on the forum for an exact number after submitting a time.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your FSD's! And heavens help oncoming traffic in the slot...

How did we get here? The story behind Heavy Metal:

"The best ideas come out of bar bets. Who wants another drink?"
-- CMDR ElectricZ

Gather 'round, CMDRs, and listen to the tale of a little system called Banapityas where one of the most widely traded commodities is bad decisions. A thriving Agricultural/Refinery system with 1.5 billion people and a dozen ports of call, Banapityas is a hub for commerce in its sector. The refineries of nearby systems U Carinae and Sounti are hungry for metals from Banapityas as well as foodstuffs from Banapityas A5. In orbit of A5, Treshchov Ring is home to Mercurial Spirits, whose marketing strategy of churning out booze so corrosive it had to be bottled in recycled reactor shielding makes it the #2 export of the system. Incidentally, When serving drinks mixed with Mercurial Spirits, it is highly recommended to use official Buckyball Beer Mats, now available at the BRC home station of Rebuy Prospect, now open for business in the Fullerene C-60 system. (Rebuy Prospect - "Crash Here Anytime.")

Our story begins 12 April, 3303 with a Lakon Type-9 named Patience and her master, one CMDR Vikram Rando. Rando is your typical heavy hauler, more interested in a fat paycheck than fancy flying, who stopped in for a quick stop at a spacer pub called The Heat Sink while on turnaround at Treshchov. While alcohol is the catalyst for many unwise decisions throughout history, it's most potent when mixed with a splash of ego.

After CMDR Rando's 7th drink in his self-imposed 2-drink limit, his love of Patience proved too great to keep to himself. In an epic ten minute, alcohol infused soliloquy to his beloved Type-9, he proclaimed pilots of all other Lakons at the pub to be "no more significant than the ZP Haulers I scrape from my windscreen after every landing." Rando's loud proclamations caught the attention of CMDR Suze "The Fuze" Garber, master of the Lakon Type-6 Busted Flat II. Garber, herself fueled by equal parts pride, Mercurial Vodka, and the inherent jealousy of a freighter jock who can't afford a Type-9, accused Rando of hauling weapons-grade biowaste and stated that credit per credit, ton per ton, the ship with the best Commander at the helm would make the most profit, regardless of capacity, be it a Lakon Type Six, a Nine or a Tweleven. (Garber's speech had become somewhat slurred by this time.)

Rando focused on the leftmost of the three Garbers he could see and uttered those magic words any Buckyballer loves to hear. "Wanna bet?"

Bookies in Banapityas are giving odds on whether Rando or Garber even make it out of port, so to increase the betting action, they sent a collective invitation to the pilots of the BRC and anyone else interested in denting some landing pads.

And just to get this Buckyball rolling...

CMDR ElectricZ
"Magnum Errat"
Type 9
490t capacity

Last edited:
It's got to be my T6, Deep Blue Yonder, for this one (cargo capacity 90-100t, tbc once we've seen the full rules). This will be a bit of a change from her normal set-up, since for nearly two years now she's mainly been used for exploration (and long-distance racing, of course), with most of the wear coming from three trips to Sag A* :).

Reporting for disgusting haulage duty to show those slow- traders who can make the mostest.

CMDR Bruski

Type-6
Capacity: 112t
Kaka felota

Type-7
Capacity: 304t
Doors and Corners

Type-9
Capacity: 532t (probably)
Oversized Coffee Machine

All still need to be purchased and named, so subject to change. :p

What will the rules on engineering and jumponium for this race be?

Looking forward to some high inertia speed-docking! (will there be a backwards bonus? :D )

Last edited:
Alec Turner
tba
tba
tba

Further to that, seeing as I only currently own a Type 6 I should probably start there. So, sad tho I am to lose the "Turner. B. Alec" ...

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship name: The Pug That Snored
Ship type: Type 6
Capacity: some

P.S. I've skim read the OP three times now. Am I supposed to understand what we have to do? Sorry, I'm VERY tired. I'll read it carefully later I promise.

Last edited:
P.S. I've skim read the OP three times now. Am I supposed to understand what we have to do? Sorry, I'm VERY tired. I'll read it carefully later I promise.

I think you're alright, rules are coming tomorrow (if I understand correctly.) OP is mainly very fun RP, which is one of my favorite parts of the races! :D

Also it tells us where to park our fat slow ships with no range. :p

Last edited:
(PS my CMDR name still doesn't show for me in game!)

Aww man, I thought this last patch was gonna take care of you. That's what you get for being an individual. I of course will keep it straight on the leaderboard because as you well know I never make mistakes!

Reporting for disgusting haulage duty to show those slow- traders who can make the mostest.

What will the rules on engineering and jumponium for this race be?

Looking forward to some high inertia speed-docking! (will there be a backwards bonus? :D )

Wow some eager beavers out there! That's what I get for being all coy with the details. All mods, all buffs are legit for this race, though if you check the route the max jump range is about 11.9 LY, so range/number of jumps isn't a major factor. (Though I suppose a carefully engineered transport might be able to increase its optimum mass rating for thrusters - maneuverability is key when it comes to speedocking a loaded freighter!

Further to that, seeing as I only currently own a Type 6 I should probably start there. So, sad tho I am to lose the "Turner. B. Alec" ...

Geez, Alec, if you want to remain Turner, B. Alec the whole race, all ya gotta do is ask. I can make that happen for ya! (TBA, didja get it? AH HA! AH HAHAHAHAha ha ha... (ehem) I'll update it on the next pass...)

And as Bruski pointed out, there's no actual details in the OP other than some flavor text. Basically, it's Banapityas out to U Carinae/Sounti and back, with a twist. No real galmap route plotting, no long distance speed records. This race is all about Supercruise navigation and piloting and speed docking with a little bit of shopping thrown in since we are pretending to be traders in this go round. It's max amount of profitable cargo in the shortest time, if that gives you any indication. Cargo space and thrusters!

Oh and Drakhyr Jhyrryl no sheilds? Now THAT'S how you do it... Incidentally, I just found out who your insurance carrier is and I just shorted all their stocks. Don't disappoint me!

Last edited:
Oh and Drakhyr - no sheilds? Now THAT'S how you do it... Incidentally, I just found out who your insurance carrier is and I just shorted all their stocks. Don't disappoint me!

Err, you seem to be getting me and Jak mixed up...

Cmdr Jak (aka Jhyrryl) of the T7 Scow-ling Enigma has stated his intention to run without shields.

The T6 Deep Blue Yonder is mine (Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr), and will be running with shields; I'm too fond of the ship to want to run without :).

After a bit of carefully planned trading, I've finally reached the magic number:
5FsL8ch.jpg

Since this will allow a fair number of rebuys, I'm in!

CMDR Polly
Possibly in a T6 "Volantem Laterem" or a T9 "Nos Subsisto Enim Nemo". One or both. Perhaps neither. Perhaps I'm going to the bar right now. Yes, that's a good idea! Be back soon! Well, soonish anyways...

Err, you seem to be getting me and Jak mixed up...

Cmdr Jak (aka Jhyrryl) of the T7 Scow-ling Enigma has stated his intention to run without shields.

The T6 Deep Blue Yonder is mine (Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr), and will be running with shields; I'm too fond of the ship to want to run without :).

D'OH. Sorry, my reading retention is still as strong as ever. OK, starting NOW I don't make mistakes. I'm going to blame it on you beating me out to Sadge by like a LOT in the Yonder when I was flying an Asp. #stillbitter ;)

Last edited:
raises hand ... I'll probably run without shields, hell I'll dock backwards if someone buys me a beer! :D

- - - Updated - - -

keep on truckin'
<-lightspeed->

(PS my CMDR name still doesn't show for me in game!)

No way! What the hell was all that changelog stuff concerning handling '<' correctly about then? :S

Last edited:
Did someone say something about a race? I just flew 10 Kylies to get here, don't tell me I missed it.

Wait, I'm early??

And I get to buy another T6??? This might be the best race ever! :)

CMDR Rusticolus
<TBD>
Lakon Type 6 Transporter (still in the showroom, just choosing the colour and interior trim)
<TBD>

Top Bottom