IL-2 Sturmovik Squadrons

I would like to know if there are other Elite Dangerous space pilots out there who like to go into WW2 SIM Battles?

My old Squadron faded away some years ago, and I never took the time to get into a new one.
My preference planes are Bf 110 E-2, Pe-2 Series 35, Ju 88 A-4 and the He 111 H-16 but ocf anything goes :)

So if there are some casual Squadrons out there who need an old Pilot/Gunner, I'm available for duty mostly :)

I got all the version of IL-2 BTW.

To those who are wondering what it's all about look here..

[video=youtube;1cvEvoXb3Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvEvoXb3Mo[/video]

new bullet strick mechanics..
[video=youtube;Tx4421N5-bA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4421N5-bA[/video]

Last edited:
VR-heads out there might be interested to know they added Rift and Vive support recently and it's fantastic.

Yeah, I don't have VR but, I can tell you that 4K and TIR works just splendet and the new graphic upgrade is just breathtaking good.

Tactical Air War is multiplayer. I assume that Riedquat is talking about a single-player campaign. Pat Wilson's campaign generator is a development of the one he built for RoF, and seems to be well rated by most who use it. There is also a new in-game career mode coming from the BoS developers, due in October or thereabouts.

BoS has improved quite a bit since the early days, and a lot of the people who had gripes over some of the more gamey features (i.e. having to unlock weapons etc) have started playing again now they are gone. As for VR, there have been a few issues with the initial patch, and the developers have released 3 successive hotfixes, but reports generally have been very positive.

For those who haven't been keeping up, after Stalingrad and Moscow, and the Kuban content still under development, the next in the series will be set in the Pacific - battle of Midway - and we will have carrier operations to look forward to. As of yet it isn't clear which aircraft will feature - though Wildcats and Zeros are a given - but whatever they come up with, it looks like being a winner.

Tactical Air War is multiplayer. I assume that Riedquat is talking about a single-player campaign. Pat Wilson's campaign generator is a development of the one he built for RoF, and seems to be well rated by most who use it. There is also a new in-game career mode coming from the BoS developers, due in October or thereabouts.

BoS has improved quite a bit since the early days, and a lot of the people who had gripes over some of the more gamey features (i.e. having to unlock weapons etc) have started playing again now they are gone. As for VR, there have been a few issues with the initial patch, and the developers have released 3 successive hotfixes, but reports generally have been very positive.

For those who haven't been keeping up, after Stalingrad and Moscow, and the Kuban content still under development, the next in the series will be set in the Pacific - battle of Midway - and we will have carrier operations to look forward to. As of yet it isn't clear which aircraft will feature - though Wildcats and Zeros are a given - but whatever they come up with, it looks like being a winner.

Yeah, I've been away for sometime, but returned in force, I really like the new look and the way the devs are taking it, so I got all the campaigns in the new version when it was on promotion sale. Really happy about it, and I'm looking forward to join the MP battles for sure.

TAW is multiplayer but you can play it alone as I understand.

Last edited:
Not got the latest version if IL2 with its online multiplayer, but have got the original game.

Loved it.

Learning to fly a plane with no tutorial was a real challenge, but one the was really rewarding when you figured things out, through trial and error.

I think it gave me an excellent grounding for Elite, whose flight mechanics are childs play in comparison.

Loved the difference in the planes some were a joy to fly like the Spitfire and my favourite the LAV 7. Others were unforgiving mistresses that would bury you at the slightest mistake.

Not got the latest version if IL2 with its online multiplayer, but have got the original game.

Loved it.

Learning to fly a plane with no tutorial was a real challenge, but one the was really rewarding when you figured things out, through trial and error.

I think it gave me an excellent grounding for Elite, whose flight mechanics are childs play in comparison.

Loved the difference in the planes some were a joy to fly like the Spitfire and my favourite the LAV 7. Others were unforgiving mistresses that would bury you at the slightest mistake.

Yeah! some of the Russian fighters small and spin if you get too agitated with the stick :D

Indeed, old IL2 flyer here, including many past online experiences on all the old popular online servers including my all time best experience (of any online sim experience), the GhostSkies campaigns in IL2 1946!

Yea, also flew CLOD and many hours/days/weeks/months on the ATAG BoB server. For all same callsign as I use to now fly 3000 years later!

Also, recently picked up BoS and a few plane additions on a recent sale, along with note of VR in the latest patch. I have not spent much time in it yet, but I did install/setup PWCG and it seems to work well, though only flew a few missions in it thus far. Most were fairly uneventful fighter sweeps over the front, but I think I need to spend more time with it to learn its workings. Seems to be fairly complex and has a lot to offer.

All in all, yea the WWII sim offerings and time over the years has likely been my most enjoyable online experience! ED is fun too, but there is something special in the dogfight of WWII era craft and the experience of "flying" in that day along with voice comms with fellow pilots trying to stay alive and in the fight.
In IL2 1946, one of my installs has the period music hooked into radio stations which also was quite cool. When on a long patrol in ingress to target, simply tune into a station in game and hear real BBC radio noting news of the day in 1943, along with music. Immersion at its finest!

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
I bought IL-2 immediately they added VR support, but still haven't set up a decent joystick mapping or worked out what the hell I'm doing. I'd be happy to join with any sessions and try and learn some stuff though.

I bought IL-2 immediately they added VR support, but still haven't set up a decent joystick mapping or worked out what the hell I'm doing. I'd be happy to join with any sessions and try and learn some stuff though.

What do you want to know ?

I don't use VR so can't help with that, but setting up the aircraft is easy, we can do that if you want too?
What HOTAS are you using? do you have rudder pedals?

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, old IL2 flyer here, including many past online experiences on all the old popular online servers including my all time best experience (of any online sim experience), the GhostSkies campaigns in IL2 1946!

Yea, also flew CLOD and many hours/days/weeks/months on the ATAG BoB server. For all same callsign as I use to now fly 3000 years later!

Also, recently picked up BoS and a few plane additions on a recent sale, along with note of VR in the latest patch. I have not spent much time in it yet, but I did install/setup PWCG and it seems to work well, though only flew a few missions in it thus far. Most were fairly uneventful fighter sweeps over the front, but I think I need to spend more time with it to learn its workings. Seems to be fairly complex and has a lot to offer.

All in all, yea the WWII sim offerings and time over the years has likely been my most enjoyable online experience! ED is fun too, but there is something special in the dogfight of WWII era craft and the experience of "flying" in that day along with voice comms with fellow pilots trying to stay alive and in the fight.
In IL2 1946, one of my installs has the period music hooked into radio stations which also was quite cool. When on a long patrol in ingress to target, simply tune into a station in game and hear real BBC radio noting news of the day in 1943, along with music. Immersion at its finest!

Yeah, for some reason I love the bombers, those long bombing runs do have some magic over it, listing to old music from the 40's only enhance the feeling. even tried to find some old german radio recordings but could not find it.

Yesterday it was patrolling the coast of dover, ran into some ME110, that are hard targets and you really need to be flying with your seat on your pants, with full realistic setting it's damn busy in the cockpit during these dog fights. :D

edit: I found this!!

https://archive.org/details/wwIIarchive-audio

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hey Lysander. I am having a look at this, I flew IL2 way back then too. But was wondering why would you recommend Il2 which is older than DCS? Wouldnt it be better to use the latter? Or not much WWII content in DCS yet?

Would you be able to recommend a step by step fool proof list to set it up from scratch now? Along with recommended content to install (been a while :) )

Last edited:
Hey Lysander. I am having a look at this, I flew IL2 way back then too. But was wondering why would you recommend Il2 which is older than DCS? Wouldnt it be better to use the latter? Or not much WWII content in DCS yet?

Would you be able to recommend a step by step fool proof list to set it up from scratch now? Along with recommended content to install (been a while :) )

Hi old chap!

Well, DCS is fun, I have it too and love it, however it doesn't have the "magic" you find in IL-2. The DEVS of IL-2 are really putting a lot of work into the old versions, and also developing new versions to the series.
The whole serie had a huge graphical and sound upgrade, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover are still a challenge and also much better and still improving now that Team Fusion has taken over the development of this one.

More planes, more missions, more of everything is my answer.

Yes, DCS is more into the simulation, IL-2 still is a very basic simulator and you can't click on everything. They focus on combat bullet damage, and so on. If you want something that is 100% simulated but not much to do, then DCS.
If you would like to get the combat feeling with a good flight model, a great damage model, with lots of content it's IL-2.

I think IL2: COD is a round $9 and the new versions are $49.99 the new Kuban addon should be great as you got mountains and sea included in the new scenery.

So I would start with IL-2 Cliffs of Dover get it on steam, go into beta and click on Team Fusion MOD, install and have fun again. Then get IL-2 BOS then BOM then BOK :D

Or just as I did, all of it in one go when it was on promotion :D
[video=youtube;wtDmksWdkEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDmksWdkEw[/video]
[video=youtube;e0dytt-7rMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dytt-7rMY[/video]

Just love the Stukas :D
[video=youtube;ax0b6Rk7BYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax0b6Rk7BYI[/video]

Listening to some old pilots talking about how to fly the airplanes is kind of fascinating.
[video=youtube;tT1BI13Fzgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT1BI13Fzgs&index=42&list=PL00A506FAE3B4225E[/video]

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Just set it up. Took me longer to set OBS to record than the actual game.

I still need to get familiar with all the trimming thingy to make my flight stable but hey. Not bad for a first try :p

[video=youtube;30d119sfxVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30d119sfxVo[/video]

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Just found this, epic!
[video=youtube;v6u4JxgE2S4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6u4JxgE2S4[/video]

Top Bottom