News Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

Well, that is reasonable, I'll retract my original disapproval at FD charging for this, as a "one off payment" to name plate all of my ships sounds ok. Not so sure about those who kick-started and this was supposed to be part of their deal, that's another argument.

Last edited:
Hah! What about us Linux users? At least you have a client...

@Ed: Thanks for the clarification; the community was working itself up into a right old lather.
I understand that someone has got ED to run on a Raspberry Pi. So there is hope for the Linux Community.
07 FarrSide

name taken

So how will the ship naming situation, ive looked but cannot see the answers that im curious about. so how will it work if someone chooses the same name that i have chosen for my ship? and can i change the name as often as i can or is that limited?

And seriously, now that we have holo-me telepresence where we can be anywhere at any time for the most part, why are these pay real money purely cosmetic only items only manageable while docked in locations with outfitting? We should be able to use these things on the fly...move the Livery options from Outfitting to a Livery Lobby panel option to go along side the Mult-crew Lobby panel.

Are there / will there be any plain name plates? No images / lines. Just text. I was all set to buy one until I couldn't find that option.

hate to be a buzzkill but can you not make cosmetics that we dont have to pay for? its getting tedious seeing these small things that we have to pay for, i mean ive already bought season 2 and i would like to have some cosmetics which will be free for once

So how will the ship naming situation, ive looked but cannot see the answers that im curious about. so how will it work if someone chooses the same name that i have chosen for my ship? and can i change the name as often as i can or is that limited?

Ship names are not unique. You can rename anytime you're at a station with outfitting (and therefore livery).

Note: QA are looking into a bug which means that the ship ID is used instead of the name on the hull. I discovered this after the release of the nameplates and tested in beta 5. The problem still exists in the release.

Note: QA are looking into a bug which means that the ship ID is used instead of the name on the hull. I discovered this after the release of the nameplates and tested in beta 5. The problem still exists in the release.

They don't consider it a problem, they changed description in store. ID plate can be put into name slot (but will display ID there).
Strange decision in my opinion, but functions as designed.

They want money from the nameplates?
They cant give this kind of cosmetics free??
They are all greedy sons of..

Oh wait, i dont care.

Now Frontier, be silent and accept the currency im holding in my hand.

Last edited:
Got to admit ship names were a little bit "meh" for me, but now all my ships are named and painted. Well done Frontier, you got a few quid from a cynic :)

They don't consider it a problem, they changed description in store. ID plate can be put into name slot (but will display ID there).
Strange decision in my opinion, but functions as designed.

The text in the description is still misleading:

Your Ship Name for the Name Plate will be pulled directly from the text entered in the Livery menu.

A bit annoying.

Top Bottom