Kudos, cmdr Harry Potter and the SDC [Salomé's event]

My biggest applauses to Harry Potter and the SDC.

Yes, I mean that. And no, I'm not an SDC membe, and I have called them griefers many, many times. But this was brilliant.

I have been unable to join the event, because I was travelling abroad, but I followed it as close as I could. When I learnt that the PAC said they would shoot any armed ship not in their files, I immediatly thought that Salomé would not make it. Because it was obvious that someone willing to kill her would infiltrate the PAC discord channels and lists.

Even better, many of the defenders were streaming live. So yeah, the position of Salomé was going to be known. Good job!

But let's be honest, the defenders had a really difficult objective ahead, even if they did a perfect job. I can't really blame them: They did it as good as they could and failed, so just cheer guys! You had fun, that's the important bit!

But now, as a wannabe writer myself: The story development is simply brilliant! Think about it: Salomé has a very important objective that moves hundreds of pilots to defend her when the Empire places a millionaire bounty on her head! They organize a defense force to protect her, but a mercenary infiltrates this force and destroys her from the inside!

It is a BRILLIANT storyline!

So stop complaining! This was not about winning or losing, this was about creating an story, and you all did! And the SDC has played an amazing role in it, they deserved to be considered as the best villains ever in the galaxy!

Oh, and by the way:

I AM PLACING A BOUNTY OF 10 MILLION CREDITS ON COMMANDER HARRY POTTER'S HEAD. :D

(EDIT: Consider that bounty a simple roleplay, I will not pay anything because the forum rules forbid it)

Last edited:
But now, as a wannabe writer myself: The story development is simply brilliant! Think about it: Salomé has a very important objective that moves hundreds of pilots to defend her when the Empire places a millionaire bounty on her head! They organize a defense force to protect her, but a mercenary infiltrates this force and destroys her from the inside!

I bolded a key aspect of your sentiment.

I find the term mercenary interesting.

IRL, he's been referred to as a troll, due to his trollish activity through out the history of ED.

It begs the question: Is a real life troll the "noble, independent warrior" of fiction?

I bolded a key aspect of your sentiment.

I find the term mercenary interesting.

IRL, he's been referred to as a troll, due to his trollish activity through out the history of ED.

It begs the question: Is a real life troll the "noble, independent warrior" of fiction?

No. Read the Oregon Files series of books for a better idea of what "noble, independent warrior" looks like. Because troll is a far cry from it.

All SDC did in this entire saga was piggyback on the hard work of others, skulking in at the last possible minute via tracking by means of a friend icon on the map and shooting Salome who was next to defenceless and on the verge of death in any event.

Hardly noteworthy and definitely nothing to crow about.

Bit off topic but ti's triggered a neuron for an effective way to handle bounties and solve the sidewinder issue.
  • Give all ships an immutable identifier different than the call sign.Expose that identifier in logs if you scan or are scanned by the ship.
  • Create a new station contact where you can submit or look for bounties.
  • Bounty is only collectable if you kill the player while they're piloting that ship.
  • Bounties are player defined and are independent if wanted or clean status. You could end up wanted if you collect on a clean player.
  • Max bounty value is set to the buy value of the ship. Bounty is only accepted if you sufficient funds to cover and is cleared if you drop below.
  • On a kill CR is transferred from the bounty givers account to the person(s) getting the kill.

It can't be used to trade or make money since at best getting your friend to kill you is only going to break even and at 50% all you accomplish is you costing the bounty giver X CR at a cost of 2X CR to yourself.

It might get more folks into open if they can make nearly 1B credits for a top kill.

It's entirely player driven except for the FDEV code to setup a submission/query interface and tracking.

Last edited:
Glory to the Empire! Well done SDC & Harry Potter.

All the Feds sure seem salty. You have to remember Salome is an officially declared terrorist.

All SDC did in this entire saga was piggyback on the hard work of others, skulking in at the last possible minute via tracking by means of a friend icon on the map and shooting Salome who was next to defenceless and on the verge of death in any event.

Hardly noteworthy and definitely nothing to crow about.

Except a lot of social engineering and psychological science to infiltrate the enemy as a secret agent commissioned by the Empire.

So stop complaining! This was not about winning or losing, this was about creating an story, and you all did! And the SDC has played an amazing role in it, they deserved to be considered as the best villains ever in the galaxy!

What makes it brilliant? Predictable betrayal at the critical moment is hardly an untold story, and the part where it's a computer game means it doesn't actually have to be story developmented.

The real villains of the game were bugs and the friend's list. SDC could not have made their kill without those.

Except a lot of social engineering and psychological science to infiltrate the enemy as a secret agent commissioned by the Empire.

You mean went along with the pre-planned event that was there months before. In December last year Drew even tweeted that SDC would be the bad guys for this event, they just decided a False Flag would be better for the storyline. I'm sure there will be some private conversations had that pushed the story the way it was already decided to be written.

PAC seriously cannot be that stupid, their doctors wouldn't let them use a computer if their intelligence was that low. Yes Mr Valet sure you can park my car, you look suspiciously like that wanted poster of that carjacker, even wearing the same jacket... I'm sure it'll be fine.
Most conspiracy theories are stretches of evidence but this one you have to stretch more to believe what actually happened.

The only thing SDC should get kudos for is holding off on killing the other VIPs to get the main one. Although thats like giving a fly kudos for flying past a ball of dung to land on a bigger one a few metres further on.

Yeah ok, I'll give up on the "It's a conspiracy man" and the whole "pre-planned scenario" thing for a few days. I can't see how people believe it was just incompetence though, nobody is that incompetent except maybe the government.

Last edited:
Some seriously miserable people here! A story is a story, it has to be written, it has to be told.

If you cannot suspend your disbelief then maybe go do something else rather than worrying about the outcome of somebody elses FICTION.

Catch 22

If you don't follow the forums/reddit, you probably don't even know this Story happened. And if you do, it the same as reading a book you saw being written before hand. With it's contrived anti-climatic and expected ending. Much to do about nothing really. Because the Game overall doesn't even care what happened for most people.

My biggest applauses to Harry Potter and the SDC.

Yes, I mean that. And no, I'm not an SDC membe, and I have called them griefers many, many times. But this was brilliant.

I have been unable to join the event, because I was travelling abroad, but I followed it as close as I could. When I learnt that the PAC said they would shoot any armed ship not in their files, I immediatly thought that Salomé would not make it. Because it was obvious that someone willing to kill her would infiltrate the PAC discord channels and lists.

Even better, many of the defenders were streaming live. So yeah, the position of Salomé was going to be known. Good job!

But let's be honest, the defenders had a really difficult objective ahead, even if they did a perfect job. I can't really blame them: They did it as good as they could and failed, so just cheer guys! You had fun, that's the important bit!

Oh, and by the way:

I AM PLACING A BOUNTY OF 10 MILLION CREDITS ON COMMANDER HARRY POTTER'S HEAD. :D

(EDIT: Consider that bounty a simple roleplay, I will not pay anything because the forum rules forbid it)

Quite right. Drew has some lovely plot to draw upon. Much more interesting than had she made it. Look forward to reading the book.

Some seriously miserable people here! A story is a story, it has to be written, it has to be told.
If you cannot suspend your disbelief then maybe go do something else rather than worrying about the outcome of somebody elses FICTION.

Yup I am miserable and serious :D

My issue is that we have been lied to and/or duped. 3/4 survived on pc, and xbox had no issues at all with a 1 for 1 survival rate. Yet it was apparently 80% is a total failure in terms of getting the data which was actually gotten before the event started anyway.
It was advertised as player driven... If you got technically arguably Drew is a player and it doesn't matter but for many it does as now it's part of the game lore and will forever make the organisers of the defence look stupid :p

Lets look at a current storyline, say the Aliens. I'd bet every credit my account owns that they will go hostile and war will break out regardless of what the players do. Because otherwise would be boring.

I'm more than happy to be told this is how it's going to be because it'll be better in the long run for the narrative or whatever.. I'm less happy to be misled or duped or lied to. Kinda ruined my belief in that tagline of player-driven, why should I or any of us bother participating in these events in the future if the scenario is scripted and even if one side is the best and dominates the enemy at every stage they will still loose because someone decided it would go that way. Doesn't strike me as the realistic open sandbox.
Like the games where you are levelled so far that you can kill 5 enemies with 1 hit and tank the damage of 10 for over 3 minutes without coming close to being in trouble, yet theres still a cutscene where 3 somehow manage to overpower you and capture you so character X can come and do a heroic rescue for the story.

Just as an FYI I wasn't there and didn't contribute, I'm arguing principals here on why we should bother in the future. This is pretty much the biggest single event in the games history, definitely the biggest story event. Bigger than Distant Worlds, bigger than most if not all community goals with thousands of players on each side joining. It does matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom