Elite Galaxy Online v2.0 - The Comms Link

Oh this is cool. Very cool in fact. I got it all installed and set up and it's quite satisfying to see it actually working. An absolute pleasure to have something like this, thank you! :D

Glad to hear it's all working, I've been keeping a close eye on things at this end and apart from a few minor tweaks which I've now patched it's holding up really well :)

I'm loving that it's so much easier to record objects now.

Jon474

Banned
Okay, suppose someone I know had downloaded this, installed it, set up a user name and API key and then...and then put in the wrong location for the journal file (let's pretend I, I mean, this friend, linked to the Logs file...by accident) and now the app crashes on launch. Is there a way of resetting the whole thing...like...please?

Flying happily
Jon
T-6E

Okay, suppose someone I know had downloaded this, installed it, set up a user name and API key and then...and then put in the wrong location for the journal file (let's pretend I, I mean, this friend, linked to the Logs file...by accident) and now the app crashes on launch. Is there a way of resetting the whole thing...like...please?

Flying happily
Jon
T-6E

It's ok Jon, I can admit to it, no need to refer to me as 'someone' :rolleyes:
It's 'cos it says logs.....maybe should say journal.

Anyways....Uninstall and re-install and you get another chance ;)

Flying happily
Jon
T-6E

Ah, thats interesting, I must have missed some bug if the folder location is set up wrong. Out of interest, were there other files in that location which ended with .log but are not then in the normal format of the new Player Journal files.
Tell your friend thanks for spotting this :)

Also tell him to press start, then type %appdata%, this will open up c:Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming

From there navigate to /AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/Data

Keep opening the folders with garbled names until you see an xml file called user.config.

Edit this by opening in notepad or something, your looking then for a setting called "is_setup_complete". Change the Value to False so it looks like this:

<setting name="is_setup_complete" serializeAs="String">
<value>False</value>
</setting>

Next time your friend runs the app, it will go through the setup process again.

If the above doesnt work, you can uninstall the app from Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs and then reinstall which should clear it out.

Ill get the bug added to the list.

Cheers

Would it be possible to allow us to select the install directory please?
I'm running low on SSD space and prefer to install tools to the HDD.

Also... perhaps we could also trawl existing logs? Never know, there might be something interesting in there o7

Last edited:
Ok...I uploaded a bunch of logs just a bit ago using the Ship Log reader from the New Discovery link, and it appeared to be successful. How long does it take for the uploads to be reflected on my EGO account and in the various lists?

Last edited:
Ok...I uploaded a bunch of logs just a biut ago using the Ship Log reader from the New Discovery link, and it appeared to be successful. How long doers it take for the uploads to be reflected on my EGO account and in the various lists?

That's weird, I've not seen any come through, usually it takes you straight to the processing page and you can see the results. The data is added to the site normally in a few seconds. One thing I have seen people miss though is the activate ship log reader button at the bottom which you need to click once it's loaded up your log files. Could you try checking again with one or two log files and press activate just to make sure it's working.

Last edited:
That's weird, I've not seen any come through, usually it takes you straight to the processing page and you can see the results. The data is added to the site normally in a few seconds. One thing I have seen people miss though is the activate ship log reader button at the bottom which you need to click once it's loaded up your log files. Could you try checking again with one or two log files and press activate just to make sure it's working.

Ok...in the process of uploading now...is it the Activate Ship Logs Reader button at the bottom that I need to hit when they are done uploading?

ETA Duh...just reread your post...it uploaded, and I just hit the button...and got an Error occurred while processing this directive error page

Last edited:
Yeah it's the activate log reader button, on reflection maybe that should simply say submit to make it a bit more obvious.

Ok I see them coming through now, you just smashed the slowest spinning class y star record :)

Last edited:
Yeah it's the activate log reader button, on reflection maybe that should simply say submit to make it a bit more obvious.

Ok I see them coming through now, you just smashed the slowest spinning class y star record :)

Yep...I see them there now, and just noticed that it only accepts from 2.3 on, and not 2.2 :) So LOTS of rejections :D

And about the Y class star...I am probably one of six who actually scan them :D

Last edited:

Jon474

Banned
Thank you for the replies, Cmdrs. I'll fix this...for my friend...later today.

Much appreciated.

Kind regards
Jon

Last edited:
I plan to add support for EGO into EDJP when I get some time (hah!). But EDJP is an offline app - so it's a post-processor of the journal rather than a realtime reader. Is it possible to add an API call to allow bulk uploads of scan events - or something that mimics what the "activate log reader" button does. I can obviously do them a line at a time but a bulk upload of, say, 20000 events as POST requests isn't going to be fun for anyone...

Jon474

Banned
Fix worked, thank you.

Is there any way of uploading Journals from before 2.3? Just asking.

It all looks good from here.

Jon
Type-6E

I plan to add support for EGO into EDJP when I get some time (hah!). But EDJP is an offline app - so it's a post-processor of the journal rather than a realtime reader. Is it possible to add an API call to allow bulk uploads of scan events - or something that mimics what the "activate log reader" button does. I can obviously do them a line at a time but a bulk upload of, say, 20000 events as POST requests isn't going to be fun for anyone...

Yeah 20,000 POST request in quick succession probably not the best idea. Ill take a look at whether the ship log reader can be opened up through the API as that processes the logs in a queue at my end so much better from a performance perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Fix worked, thank you.

Is there any way of uploading Journals from before 2.3? Just asking.

It all looks good from here.

Jon
Type-6E

Glad its working. The reason I made that decision to only support from 2.3 onwards was that the journals in 2.2 were completely missing atmosphere composition data.

That said, the journals in 2.3 are still missing axial tilt and soid composition data but I made the decision to go ahead anyway.

I'll have a think about whether I should relax the atmosphere restriction a bit or at least let scans of stars and planets with no atmospheres through from journals before 2.3

Would it be possible to allow us to select the install directory please?
I'm running low on SSD space and prefer to install tools to the HDD.

Also... perhaps we could also trawl existing logs? Never know, there might be something interesting in there o7

I've had a look at whether I can allow the install directory to be changed and unfortunately it can't be done with the current deployment method I am using.
The main benefit of this deployment method is that I can push out updates to the comms link to fix bugs without having everyone manually redownload it and I didn't even realise that the install directory was a limitation until now, sorry bout that.

The comms link should only take up between 3-5Mb hard disk space though so hopefully not too bad.

I actually do have a humble request for a feature that I'd like to see sometime in the future.

You've got carbon stars separated by their respective classes, same with white dwarf stars. How about separating the Wolf-Rayet stars in a similar fashion (WRO, WRN, WRC, WRNC etc.)?

I actually do have a humble request for a feature that I'd like to see sometime in the future.

You've got carbon stars separated by their respective classes, same with white dwarf stars. How about separating the Wolf-Rayet stars in a similar fashion (WRO, WRN, WRC, WRNC etc.)?

Hey,

The key thing now for separating out the classes is whether they come through on the journal with a different StarType ID.

I've just had a quick look at the mapping table I use to map from this player journal ID to the different star classes at EGO and your dead right - Wolf Rayet stars are split out into a number of types. Heres the mapping I currently use:

A - Class A Star
AeBe - AE/BE Class Star
A_BlueWhiteSuperGiant - Blue-White Supergiant
B - Class B Star
C - Carbon Star
CJ - C-J Class Star
CN - C-N Class Star
CS - Carbon Star
DA - White Dwarf - DA Class
DAB - White Dwarf - DAB Class
DAO - White Dwarf - DAO Class
DAV - White Dwarf - DAV Class
DAZ - White Dwarf - DAZ Class
DB - White Dwarf - DB Class
DBV - White Dwarf - DBV Class
DBZ - White Dwarf - DBZ Class
DC - White Dwarf - DC Class
DCV - White Dwarf - DCV Class
DO - White Dwarf - DO Class
DQ - White Dwarf - DQ Class
DX - White Dwarf - DX Class
F - Class F Star
F_WhiteSuperGiant - Yellow-White Supergiant
G - Class G Star
H - Black Hole
K - Class K Star
K_OrangeGiant - Orange Giant
L - Class L Star
M - Class M Star
MS - MS Class Star
M_RedGiant - Red Giant
M_RedSuperGiant - Red Supergiant
N - Neutron Star
O - Class O Star
S - Class S Star
SupermassiveBlackHole - Supermassive Black Hole
T - Class T Star
TTS - T Tauri Type Star
W - Wolf-Rayet Star
WC - Wolf-Rayet Star
WN - Wolf-Rayet Star
WNC - Wolf-Rayet Star
WO - Wolf-Rayet Star
Y - Class Y Star

As you can see, I must have fudged it for Wolf Rayet whilst I was developing the Ship Log Reader and then forgot to go back to it.

I'm currently working on the 2.1 update which is all about refining and extending the record tracking system but I'll see if I can get Wolf Rayets split out in 2.1 as well as that in itself will generate a whole bunch of new records to be broken!

Cheers

Top Bottom