I'm too negative

Not so negative any more. It wouldn't surprise me if you post sum's up how a good portion of people feel.

I have my gripes but I keep coming back to ED (been playing since original Beta) and always look forward to new content/improvements. It has the 'X factor' for me (apologies for cliche'd phrase). I like how the Devs operate and engage and I like what they have created. There may be some wobbles on the way but there is a long game being played out.

Happy to admit I'm on a bit of a break at the moment and I've even been away from lurking here for a few days (Assetto Corsa to blame!). But here I am again and I'll be back to my Asp 'Capricious Sky' pretty soon.

Right On Commanders!

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
A bit of complaining is expected (and sometimes deserved ), but you are right. Every now and again I stand back and take a look at what this game is, how much time I spend in it and how much enjoyment it provides. I'm ever so glad I bought it. :)

I've recently come to the realisation that my occasional contributions to this forum have a significant negative bias.

Join the club! but add a touch of humor, teaspoon of sarcasm, and 100ml of mirth... and.... you're pretty much on par with most!

Don't need to justify it though... It's what makes the ED forum such a great lunch time destination.

Be boring if we're all 'darling buds of may' or daisies in a meadow.. :)

The hopes of today and the promise of tomorrow. The never ending story.

Beautiful read. Good OP.

One summer evening in the basking orange warmth of our sun, you realize that Elite has matured and become the global social platform it always was meant to become.

Another universe, within our own.

Last edited:
The best thing I ever did was grab the life time pass and sit back and enjoy the ride across 400 billion systems over however many years FD continue to develop this game

And I struggle with little things, too, like the lack of a kill-rotation function in Flight Assist Off. Hard to imagine it, when such technology is a basic part of all 21st-century spacecraft.
Rotation of what - your own ship, or the "rotational correction"-covered stuff like the Coriolis stations' spin? In CQC I can kill my own ship's rotation fine with FA off, just move the HOTAS the opposite direction, countering my rotation. Anything more automated would be FA by definition.

And I think, in light of all my negativity, it's worth taking a moment to show some appreciation for the game I enjoy, rather than harping on about the one that never was.
These are the posts I typically rep. Someone sees faults with the game and states their opinion clearly with an even tone. Even when negative, it's a conversation rather than a rant. This is how discussion forums should work.

+1

PS. Fangirl away. I squeed like a school girl the first time I saw a planet landing. :D

The Development team has done nothing to abate the negativism that is running rampant on the forums. The game itself is full of Bugs and unfulfilled promises of a living galaxy. Perhaps time will fix this issue, but it is on the development teams heads as far as negativity is concerned. There is never any news, deadlines, or announcements made on known bugs, future content, and game direction.

When left alone to to your own devices, people tend to jump to a negative conclusion. Pragmatism leads to the theory that no news is bad news. If the development team isnt willing to trust its fanbase, then how can you have trust in them. After the total Dev Time over the last 5 years, the data coming out from the development team has all but stopped. It has become a 3 times a year update due to E3 and its like. Enthusiasm has waned and trust has not been instilled. Its human nature to assume a negative outcome.

A very very large portion of negative posting and threads would be addressed if the development team would share anything at all. Not details mind you, but something.

The Development team has done nothing to abate the negativism that is running rampant on the forums. The game itself is full of Bugs and unfulfilled promises of a living galaxy. Perhaps time will fix this issue, but it is on the development teams heads as far as negativity is concerned. There is never any news, deadlines, or announcements made on known bugs, future content, and game direction.

It's not the Dev Team's job to talk to the public. They're coders, not public relations people.

Besides, we know what they're doing right now - working on the PS4 version, 2.4 and 2.3.x fixes.

I do agree that it would be nice if the PR guys were a little more forthcoming, but to some extent they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

It's not the Dev Team's job to talk to the public. They're coders, not public relations people.

Besides, we know what they're doing right now - working on the PS4 version, 2.4 and 2.3.x fixes.

I do agree that it would be nice if the PR guys were a little more forthcoming, but to some extent they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Development team are responsible for bug fixes. There are day one bugs still in the game today. There are many many things the Dev team can do. Even if its publish a list of bug fixes and the schedule they are following. Yes the communication with the public should be done by PA team, however the work is being done by developers and we have no way of knowing what is being done. Transparency is part of the development process and we have none of that.

Check out any of Star Citizens weekly development posts and tell me that our development team could not be a bit more forthcoming. I said no details, but progress reports are required by any project team. Not every scrap of information is required to be given at one of the 3 large events throughout the year.

Not fighting, just telling you how development of an app works. Since we are the apps consumers, we should be made aware of any progress or setbacks to the process.

A very very large portion of negative posting and threads would be addressed if the development team would share anything at all. Not details mind you, but something.

Unfortunately I don't believe this is true. The vast majority (though obviously not all) of negative/whining comments come from a very few number of people, and they tend to spread the negativism far and wide (both in new threads of their own, and liberally strewn through others). Besides, there was a statement in the last few days regarding the next patch (June 27th) and the future (which after 2.4, is primarily about QoL for a bit - yay!). People that state that FD aren't communicating seem to have their ears and eyes shut, which means that the issue isn't really FD's problem (though many of the game bugs obviously are :D ).

I would rather the dev team were silent and getting on with what they should be doing (which isn't talking to us).

Transparency is part of the development process and we have none of that.

Um, no it isn't. Why do FD need to tell us in detail what they are doing? The only reason RSI does it is to calm people down about how they're spending their money... I haven't ever seen another game company do this. FD have released a game - either buy it or don't, enjoy it or don't, but don't think you have any rights to anything beyond that.

Last edited:
Development team are responsible for bug fixes. There are day one bugs still in the game today. There are many many things the Dev team can do. Even if its publish a list of bug fixes and the schedule they are following. Yes the communication with the public should be done by PA team, however the work is being done by developers and we have no way of knowing what is being done. Transparency is part of the development process and we have none of that.

That's heading into slightly dangerous entitled territory - the Devs have no obligation to be transparent to us (the public) because they don't work for us.

But I agree it would be nice to hear "we're working on 2.3.1 and we're hoping to release it in two weeks' time". I disagree that they should tell us what they're specifically working on for 2.3.1, because if they have to drop one of the fixes then they're going to be accused of breaking promises, going back on their word, etc.

i would say OP that from the sound of your post, you are a lot like me - when things are good you enjoy the game and when things after an update go wrong, you aren NOT being negative: dont view it as such. you are pointing out flaws, by CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. if we didnt care about the game, and if an update makes some aspect of it suddenly way over the top and not fun any more (such as i did after engineers, when combat was suddenly skewed towards the most vocal FA-OFF pewpews, who arent interested in anything other than the combat and are willing to do or enjoy the mats grinding to mod) then we say so and give our reasons.

the day i am not pointing out what i think can be done a lot or a little better or was a mistake is a day im in the galaxy someplace and not on a long supercruise to the other star in the system and having time to post lol.

Um, no it isn't. Why do FD need to tell us in detail what they are doing? The only reason RSI does it is to calm people down about how they're spending their money... I haven't ever seen another game company do this. FD have released a game - either buy it or don't, enjoy it or don't, but don't think you have any rights to anything beyond that.

Check out anything on Steam Early access and you will see that your statement is wrong. Other games do not release a game over the course of multiple years. So they only need to communicate any large changes/adjustments and new content. DLC is not core content its DLC. Both Star Citizen and ED have decided that is the route they are taking.

However early access projects such as ED should be updating as they go along. That is both the curse and the blessing of releasing a product gradually. You can have time to make things perfect, however people do expect to see progress. Early access games are literally one step above beta in its completion. However its is not yet a complete product. As it stands we have to wait until E3 to find out if and when we will see bug fixes. We have to wait until PAX to find out if day one promised content will be added. That is no way to support your ongoing project.

Everyone who has purchased this game and are playing the game have invested both time an money to its creation. PR or Dev team, I dont care which, can abate the vast majority of the negativism if they would only communicate progress or changes. If this was supposed to be a huge surprise and the community is to have no input on the design/direction of the game, then it should not have been released yet. If they had not done it this way, then the cool stuff the community pursued would not have been added. See Colonia and the addition of PG owned mega ships as examples.

Either way I am not justifying myself to your views. Take it as you will, however I know what I need in order to have my fears/negativity addressed and I am not the only person that feels that way.

Top Bottom