Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder how deep the barnacles go into the ground (I mean in lore, not just the model that you can clip through the planet surface to see) - who knows what it's actually tapping into. The barnacles might just be a kind of side effect of a different process?
I imagine them being much bigger underground , with roots keeping it lodged in place

I wonder how deep the barnacles go into the ground (I mean in lore, not just the model that you can clip through the planet surface to see) - who knows what it's actually tapping into. The barnacles might just be a kind of side effect of a different process?

Maybe until the very core of the planet. A kind of tunnel or pipe to allow the ship to suck off the melted metal from the core.

Deleted member 148280

D
I went to Witch Head Sector DL-Y D17 A1 (7.10, -173.82) yesterday and drove around for half an hour. No love for the double barnacle sitting there, so far.

I've given up on the Witch Head Sector tbh so heading to the pleiades.

An odd thing is I just got jumpped by an NPC Python demanding corgo. Out here? really?

Don't know if this is normal, but on my way to this sector, the one of the surface thargoide event, I was scanning a system, and casually stopped to check a random signal source that appeared near me, and... yeah! Anomay Detected [Threat 4], I know this is a Unkown Artifact, so I go down, and shoot it down to get the material (the UA would corrode my cargo).

Then I go supercruise, another signal... another Anomaly, suddenly just next to it another signal/ anomaly, and further away another one, 4 Unknown Artifacts in a row?

Im currently scanning the whole system, as a side note, Im only 2 or 3 jumps away of the system where the first hyperdiction happened.

Data Link Scanner works, but shows nothing.

The system is ARIES DARK REGION UE-P B6-1

Edit: Just theory, as I found them near the sun as I jumped, could be UA the equivalent of our Nav Beacon?

Update: 6 in a row...

Last edited:
Maybe until the very core of the planet. A kind of tunnel or pipe to allow the ship to suck off the melted metal from the core.

Core? unlikely - most likely just until it hits the mantle of the planet (granted some colder planets might need to get to the core before it hits any kind of magma).

Last edited:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7 A 6 -42.78° -21.71°

Before I was even fully loaded into the instance I was taking fire. Barely got out
Ok, thanks. I'll add that as an ongoing mission for Cobra Kai. If there are other sites that "suddenly" become hotspots, please report them. It will make it easier for groups like Cobra Kai to know which Barnacle to advice people to go to.

Ok, thanks. I'll add that as an ongoing mission for Cobra Kai. If there are other sites that "suddenly" become hotspots, please report them. It will make it easier for groups like Cobra Kai to know which Barnacle to advice people to go to.

System is very hot - had SDC in one instance, then a corvette, clipper, fas group hitting folk in the next (these guys have been around from last night) - and I just got my first "win" - got 2 ships plus myself out (on 17%) hull from what I think was 2 clippers and something smaller (didn't get a good look - to busy sticking torps and packhounds in the lead clipper).
They are getting sneakier too - coming up quiet and low trying to come round on the srv's from behind the hill next to the barnacles.
Off to eat - will be back later - I'm the looney in the Ieagle :D - tempted to bring the keelback out as well for fighter fun.

Looking at the vids frame by frame, it seems to me that the intense beam goes from the barnie to the ship.

Whoa you're right. The ships beam comes on, then it looks like a more concentrated beam shoots up from the barnacle. So maybe some interaction is taking place between the two and not just a beaming/probing/harvesting action on the ships part.

My personal opinion on these encounters are a pointer to where we will eventually be able to enter the 'witchspace' following the alien vessels.

i.e. You go to known barnacle sight, wait for an encounter, then follow through the portal after scanning it.

The ability is not yet implemented in the game as yet, that will come in a future update. As MB said "you use the scanner like a hand' as in grab and hold on....

Anyone noticed this:

I was in the Mobius instance and the barnicles were pretty much trashed after a day of bored people farting around with them. I scanned a barnicle and got a scan successful message and that was all. I scanned the other barnicle but I got a message saying that it already been scanned.

Now I then went into my own private group where the barnicles and tendrils are all intact and got a "Meta-Alloys" detected message on both barnies. I certainly did not get that at the trashed Mobius group one.

I cannot comment on whether it makes any difference to visitations but it was a find of some sorts.

Maybe the alien ships retrieve meta-alloys from the barnicles. Maybe it stops their own ships from being affected in the same way that ours are.

Last edited:
Whoa you're right. The ships beam comes on, then it looks like a more concentrated beam shoots up from the barnacle. So maybe some interaction is taking place between the two and not just a beaming/probing/harvesting action on the ships part.

Yep. Like if the ship comes, honks to say " I'm here and hungry", lights the barnie to show him where to shoot, and then the barnie feeds him.

it would be consistent with the theory which says the ships are the offsprings of the barnies.

Last edited:
Meta alloys cleaned up the infected stations. There are currently plagues abound in the bubble probably being transported around by our ships. What if the flower ship is cleaning our ships. As i noticed when the flower ship hyperdicts you it and "scans" ther are yellow beams whipping and lashing toward our ships but i also noticed yellow orbs and specks headong towards the flower ships.

My theory we have a species of cleaners. Meta alloys are the detergant. Lol

Anyone noticed this:

I was in the Mobius instance and the barnicles were pretty much trashed after a day of bored people farting around with them. I scanned a barnicle and got a scan successful message and that was all. I scanned the other barnicle but I got a message saying that it already been scanned.

Now I then went into my own private group where the barnicles and tendrils are all intact and got a "Meta-Alloys" detected message on both barnies. I certainly did not get that at the trashed Mobius group one.

I cannot comment on whether it makes any difference to visitations but it was a find of some sorts.

Maybe the alien ships retrieve meta-alloys from the barnicles. Maybe it stops their own ships from being affected in the same way that ours are.

Yeah you'll get that message about MA's being detected if you scan a stalk containing them, and you can target them through the actual Barnacle. I got a blank scanned message as well from the barney itself. If the stalks were trashed than they won't give you the MA message

Yeah you'll get that message about MA's being detected if you scan a stalk containing them, and you can target them through the actual Barnacle. I got a blank scanned message as well from the barney itself. If the stalks were trashed than they won't give you the MA message

I think (someone told me and it made sense) that once you scan one of the Barnacles, the location is added to the Navigation panel. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the empty message or not. Maybe there shouldn't be a message, or maybe it should be "unknown barnacle location added" or something like that

I think (someone told me and it made sense) that once you scan one of the Barnacles, the location is added to the Navigation panel. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the empty message or not. Maybe there shouldn't be a message, or maybe it should be "unknown barnacle location added" or something like that

Yeah, I noticed this, thanks

Currently sitting at the twin barnacle site at Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1 (25.3286, 25.5308). Just picked a random site from a list. Got all systems powered off except for life support on my DBX. In it for the long watch, so have to make the fuel last. Good thing I shelled out for the survival onesie, getting pretty chilly in here.

Will report if anything happens.

So the idiots are infiltrating Mobius again.

Anyway as I'm back in port having been shot to bits - saw two visitors today at 10:30 and 12:24 game time at the Pleides Sector OI-T site - but then nothing.
Could be because the spikes got trashed at 2pm but couple of us jumped to SC and returned around 7pm and still no more visits.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom