Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 10 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It looks like the spiral beam in the first video comes down from the flowership, and thta triggers a return solid beam from the barney, so I'm plumping for "feed me energy" request first followed by the energy response.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me.
Plus the spiral beam hitting the corvette doesn't seem to be doing anything to the corvette, so I wonder if interacting with the flower ship simply causes a glitch in the matrix and buggy behaviour.

Looks to me like the flower ship is siphoning off a whole stack of barnacle fireflies in the various videos I've been watching.

I mean, I assume they're still there if you subsequently re-approach the barnacle, but it sure does look like a lot of them are sucked up.

Edit: oh and congrats on thread #10! Silly and marvellous at the same time :D

It is the same beam they use in the hyperdictions. It's probably multi-functional.

They might just be scanning, but it looks like some form of extraction of energy.
MA and materials are left untouched it seems.

I would love to see a close up of how the FF around MA react to the beam. They are best viewed live though.

I think i would reinstance every 30 mins or so.

Had 3 encounters this morning, none have occurred when I just sat and waited.

I assume it's something like this :

1. When an instance is entered a random chance of an event is calculated
  2. If an event is to occur a random timer begins
  3. Flowership arrives to harvest the shiny things

True, but switching does get annoying. If you sit around and just wait it out, you get the same effect because each new cmdr thae comes into your instance can trigger the even for you since it's new for him but not for you it's like you get another reroll. So having a ton of CMDRS coming in and out would essentially be the best but as long as you are there for the ride you can just wait it out.

Re Unknown Ship 'Event'

I was coming out of orbital cruise during an Unknown Ship 'Event' was in progress above a Barnacle on Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7 A 6 (5MA site) when my thrusters went offline, I was 4 Km high. My ship crashed down onto the planet surface took only 50% hull damage but didn't explode. Instead it spun in a floating state until the 'event' was over. I noticed there were 3 other ships that were spinning above the ground in a floating state. Once my ships systems came back online I quickly grabbed control and brought my ship to a safe landing.

Questions :
1. Have you guys noticed how our ships don't explode if we hit the ground whilst the Unknown Ship 'Event' is in progress above a Barnacle?
2. Do you think this is scripted, or did the Unknown Ship protect our ships in some way?

Re Unknown Ship 'Event'

Questions :
1. Have you guys noticed how our ships don't explode if we hit the ground whilst the Unknown Ship 'Event' is in progress above a Barnacle?
2. Do you think this is scripted, or did the Unknown Ship protect our ships in some way?

Well actually the 1st one is bull. Ask my cutter about that...

It is the same beam they use in the hyperdictions. It's probably multi-functional.

They might just be scanning, but it looks like some form of extraction of energy.
MA and materials are left untouched it seems.

I would love to see a close up of how the FF around MA react to the beam. They are best viewed live though.

May look the same, but it's coming from the rear rather than the front.

Yeah, first one is untrue. I saw a ship fall from a about 20 meter to the ground, exploded. Alien beam sucked all the debris together. Poor guy, had been waiting for hours but forgot flying isn't to smart whilst waiting for the ship to arrive.

Have you confirmed the materials and MAs are gone after the event? Because in the videos I've seen where they're visible the MAs look like they're still attached to the barnacle spikes so are not being harvested.

Yeah materials stayed there.

Sorry (3) was a bit misleading.

Cept this comes from the butthole, the hyperdiction from the front hole, also more wavy from the front hole, like tentacles.

Last edited:
Cept this comes from the butthole, the hyperdiction from the front hole, also more wavy from the front hole, like tentacles.

They both have the waves and the pull towards the US, but the bottom version looks a bit more powerfull. Maybe it's a class 2? :D

CMDR MadRaptor
2) re times of encounters I went through every video on YouTube and a few other streaming services and these are the ruff times I got (all times are in game time)

Uploaded on the 1st: 00:20, 03:30, 04:30, 05:30, 06:30
Uploaded on the 2nd: 00:20, 03:30, 05:30,05:49, 06:09, 06:02, 06:10, 07:33, 10:00, 10:33, 10:51, 11:22, 12:58, 21:10*, 22:27*

Remember that in Open, the game's rules get glitchy due to the process of CMDRs joining the instance, and network replication between CMDRs… so it's often best just to look at the videos done in Solo.

My best guess right now is:

You have to Enter the Barnacle "settlement" at __:_0:__ for the encounter to occur.

Enter means:
  • Deploy your SRV while on the settlement surface patch.
  • Board your ship while on the settlement surface patch.
  • Enter the settlement surface patch with your SRV.
  • Land your ship on the settlement surface patch.
  • (possibly) fly your ship into the zone around the settlement surface patch.

The settlement surface patch extends about 500m from the Barnacle itself.

It's also possible that a secondary event such as scanning the Barnacle or one of its spires, works too. Hard to experiment with since I've scanned every barnacle known in the game in both cycles ;)

I think any time within the minute window at 00 10 20 30 40 or 50 past the hour works.

Please feel free to peer-review the above, in Solo.

Last edited:
Nice to see a new thread starting! Gratz us! :D

I'm currently surveying the Ancient Ruin site at Vela Dark Region WT-R B4-3 B 1 -32.2869 - 69.8058 and I'm actually, for the first time, "doing the science bit!".
I've made my own map and I'm plotting the active obelisks and getting results in the vain hope I might find Tech 6!

Is there anyone in the Canonn I should be talking to about helping surveying Ancient Sites or am I wasting my time looking as it's bugged?

The beam goes up from the barnacle to the ship. You can pause the vid with the beam halfway up when it starts.

Does look like it doesn't it :

87nu0X2.png

(img from this random video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjRxy0ekLHU)

Maybe like lightning? That's ground up?

Qp2PB.gif

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/ said:
Does lightning strike from the sky down, or the ground up?

The answer is both. Cloud-to-ground lightning comes from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge. Since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zips back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens so fast - in about one-millionth of a second - so the human eye doesn't see the actual formation of the stroke.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom