Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 10 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Great work on the new thread. A cursory inspection of the barnacles section: barnacles facts has a couple of forum links that give the oops, invalid attachment message. I know you would want to know this. I only noticed those two because I was specifically genning up on barnacles. Hope the links haven't been deleted for any future enquiring minds.

This one: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=96078&d=1453131765

This one: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=106152&d=1456962588

[alien]

Last edited:
So I have been on Xbox at the site since Friday in open and nothing .... then about an hour ago when about to give up ... one shows up...
Here is the great part
My game crashed

Remember that in Open, the game's rules get glitchy due to the process of CMDRs joining the instance, and network replication between CMDRs… so it's often best just to look at the videos done in Solo.

My best guess right now is:

You have to Enter the Barnacle "settlement" at __:_0:__ for the encounter to occur.

Enter means:
  • Deploy your SRV while on the settlement surface patch.
  • Board your ship while on the settlement surface patch.
  • Enter the settlement surface patch with your SRV.
  • Land your ship on the settlement surface patch.
  • (possibly) fly your ship into the zone around the settlement surface patch.

The settlement surface patch extends about 500m from the Barnacle itself.

It's also possible that a secondary event such as scanning the Barnacle or one of its spires, works too. Hard to experiment with since I've scanned every barnacle known in the game in both cycles ;)

I think any time within the minute window at 00 10 20 30 40 or 50 past the hour works.

Please feel free to peer-review the above, in Solo.

My original sighting was in private group and neither me or my friend were in SRVs

Just found this video by youlou youlou. The UP seems to be very upset, it might have found something coming.

[video=youtube;pAFTnvepeh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAFTnvepeh8[/video]

Edit: Or could the reason for it to be sounding like that just be the audio quality of the video?

Last edited:
Might it be worth having a recap on things that are still to be answered?

- What are Wreaken doing in COL70? Is it just corruption based mining/exploitation rites?
- What heroic, important work are the Alliance doing in the California Nebula?
- Who are the organisation Rebecca/Salome worked to expose and are the major powers involved?
- Are the Flower Ships related to Barnacles? (I guess this is a yes now) UAs? UPs?
- What is important about Merope 5C?
- Who did Halsey and Jaques think they were contacted by during their respective mis-jumps?
- Who murdered the ex-Federal vice president and the reporter working on the Antares disaster and why?
- What happened to the Exodus documents Raan Corson stole when Sirius murdered Femi Dakarai to gain control of the company and it's research?
- Where is Raan Corson now, and what is he doing?
- Where is Luko now, and what is he doing?
- What were SAP8 Core Containers for?
- When will people stop pronouncing Mahon, Ma-Hon and start pronouncing it Maahn?
- What is the full meaning of the UP spectrogram?
- Why are the UPs transmitting data about Ammonia planets to COL 70 SECTOR FY-N C21-3?

Any others?

Sap 8 Core Containers contain the Old Power Modules, they are now obsolete but back then they were used.

Re Unknown Ship 'Event'

I was coming out of orbital cruise during an Unknown Ship 'Event' was in progress above a Barnacle on Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7 A 6 (5MA site) when my thrusters went offline, I was 4 Km high. My ship crashed down onto the planet surface took only 50% hull damage but didn't explode. Instead it spun in a floating state until the 'event' was over. I noticed there were 3 other ships that were spinning above the ground in a floating state. Once my ships systems came back online I quickly grabbed control and brought my ship to a safe landing.

Questions :
1. Have you guys noticed how our ships don't explode if we hit the ground whilst the Unknown Ship 'Event' is in progress above a Barnacle?
2. Do you think this is scripted, or did the Unknown Ship protect our ships in some way?

Looks like the flowership has some form of anth-gravity drive which locally reduces G; that's why the rocks are floating and possibly why you didn't suffer much damage

Last edited:
Looks like the flowership has some form of anth-graviy drive which locally reduces G; that's why the rocks are floating and possibly why you didn't suffer much damage

Good point. That could help explain why the ship that penetrated the beam (in the first video shown) didn't crash properly into the planet surface and survived.

A lot of thought and effort has been put into this most recent scripted scene; it has allowed for "unintended circumstances" resulting from player interaction.

Last edited:
So is this now dead? Spent 2 hours+ trying to get it to trigger and nada. Tried entering the settlement zone at 20 past, 30 past etc as suggested... no cutscene here at all.

New Ruins (3) : Eta Carina Sector IM-V c2-4 A 2

LTKEE1f.png

Fingers crossed it's not more gamma's, I hate checking obelisk groups on gammas. And why do I only find them just before I want to quit for the night :S

Edit: Two Alpha, and a Gamma :( :D

Anyway, that's three ruin planets in the Eta Carina Sector, starting to look like a bubble - maybe the ones who were exiled?

Last edited:
- When will people stop pronouncing Mahon, Ma-Hon and start pronouncing it Maahn?
- Wh

Any others?[/QUOTE]

lol.......when they start pronouncing my name as NahMeeenaya-Onister and not NorMonsta

New Ruins (3) : Eta Carina Sector IM-V c2-4 A 2

http://i.imgur.com/LTKEE1f.png

Fingers crossed it's not more gamma's, I hate checking obelisk groups on gammas. And why do I only find them just before I want to quit for the night :S

Anyway, that's three ruin planets in the Eta Carina Sector, starting to look like a bubble - maybe the ones who were exiled?

Nice one, I went all the way out there and that day was going to scan the area and the Alien barnacle site thing happened so I never had time to do as much searching as I planned on doing, as I headed back to the bubble. Gammas arn't so bad if the gravity isn't so bad though.

So is this now dead? Spent 2 hours+ trying to get it to trigger and nada. Tried entering the settlement zone at 20 past, 30 past etc as suggested... no cutscene here at all.

Its not a cutscene and its not a triggerable event, its just random.

Nice one, I went all the way out there and that day was going to scan the area and the Alien barnacle site thing happened so I never had time to do as much searching as I planned on doing, as I headed back to the bubble. Gammas arn't so bad if the gravity isn't so bad though.

I never spent much time scanning Gammas, so I get lost more easily when trying to figure out which group is which (though I'm getting more practice :) )

Scanned just under 50% of Eta Carina systems, 617 to go :( Probably should just be searching around existing ruins but hey, this exploration elite won't make itself.

Looks like a player may have dealt 1% damage to the unknown ship

unknown.png

[video=youtube_share;ssvzY3ddYrU]https://youtu.be/ssvzY3ddYrU[/video]

Last edited:
Have you confirmed the materials and MAs are gone after the event? Because in the videos I've seen where they're visible the MAs look like they're still attached to the barnacle spikes so are not being harvested.

I'm pretty sure it's not harvesting. As I've said multiple times in the 9th Thread, the barney is most likely an extractor and refinery for fuel. It would, of course, be lodged far deeper in the ground than we see. MA's are just by-products of the refinery/extraction process.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom