Newcomer / Intro Unable to land in Space Station

I actually had this same exact problem. I was a PC player a couple of years ago, but just picked up the PS4 version. I did the training missions to reaquaint myself with it, and it just would not clamp to the pad. I did it a second time, and had no problem. It seems like it might have just been a glitch...

Can confirm that the docking training mission is actually bugged, the game won't drop the landing gear when you arrive at the starport.
I know this problem still exists because I let my daughter have a go at the training missions a couple of days ago while the new patch was being sorted. Landing gear just won't pop!

I actually had this same exact problem. I was a PC player a couple of years ago, but just picked up the PS4 version. I did the training missions to reaquaint myself with it, and it just would not clamp to the pad. I did it a second time, and had no problem. It seems like it might have just been a glitch...

If you are too far off in pitch or roll you can slide another issue is sometimes if I land too gently the ship doesn't latch so don't be afraid to bang it down firmly.

With regards to the thrusters I set up a couple of switches one for up/down and left/right the other does forward/back and left right this was done under the option for landing controls so they do something else when the landing gear is retracted makes things much easier and looks so much more skilful than my old technique of crashing the nose into the centre of the pad and sliding forward into the lockdown.

Male knows what he's talking about. He had a jolly time teaching me ....but I'm doing pretty good now. Even learning how to line up the slot before dropping out of Super Cruz.

Chief

If you are finding that you need different controls for landing, then look in options/control/flight landing overrides. Here you can assign different options to your axes, that come into effect when you lower landing gear.
There's also another section options/control/alternative flight controls where you can do this and have them on a toggle key.

All too much effort - that's what Docking Computers are for :)

Texy
Docking computers are fine in their place, which is really big ships with lots of slots for modules and anything trying to land at a planetary base where the gravity is 1.5g and up, this is especially true for ships with underpowered thrusters.

You refer to lateral movement without yaw if I read your reply correctly? I thought the only lateral movement was possible by using roll left and right which is where I seem to overshoot.

Last edited:
Be careful about the axis.

There is yaw, which is like turning left or right in a car

There lateral translation, which moves you left or right without turning the nose.

Roll moves one wing up and the other down

Pitch moves the nose up and down

Up and down move the ship without dipping or raising the nose

and forwards/backwards which are self explanatory.

Go back to the shoot the navigation beacon mission. Don't bother to shoot it for a bit, but practice with all six degrees of movement you have.for a while. You should be able to, after a while, fly around the beacon with your nose pointing at it all of the time using pitch/up-down or yaw/left right. It's just a circle strafe, but you have 3D in which to do it.

You refer to lateral movement without yaw if I read your reply correctly? I thought the only lateral movement was possible by using roll left and right which is where I seem to overshoot.

If you go through the control options, a long and confusing task I know, you will see options to bind controls for thrusters in the directions left, right, up, down, forward and back. The left and right thrusters are the laterals.

You have thrusters in all directions and those are not related to the steering movements. Also make sure you have flight assist ON. You can recognise if that is the case by throttle -set it to 0 and ship should stop within some seconds. That means computer automatically applies reverse throttle so stop you (in space you'd normally continue with the achieved speed even with engine turned off. Acceleration will be 0, but speed would be constant since you have no resistance). If you turn flight assist off you'll start screaming at this stage ;) no worries,later you might join the FAOFF guys and never use it ;)

I can also advise to leave training and start thr game in Solo! You don't risk anything and can delete the save anytime, if you get lost or do smth terribly wrong. If you crash the rebuy of stock ship is 0,- so no worries. Training missions are nice, but should not cause frustration.. just skip those prescribed scenarios and take a deep dive. We're here and will help anytime.

o7 Commander

Last edited:
If it helps I don't use the forward and back thrusters, as careful use of the throttle has the same effect. I'm not sure how I would dock without them though, full marks for those that do. Thrusters are also useful in combat so worth working out some controls for them.

If you go through the control options, a long and confusing task I know, you will see options to bind controls for thrusters in the directions left, right, up, down, forward and back. The left and right thrusters are the laterals.

Thanks for the advice.....I will look in the long list of assigned and non-assigned commands. I assume I can bind the necessary commands to my PS4 Gamepad like any other controller? Maybe the current 4 functions of the touchpad on the gamepad can be replaced binding the fore/aft/left/right thrusters.

You have thrusters in all directions and those are not related to the steering movements. Also make sure you have flight assist ON. You can recognise if that is the case by throttle -set it to 0 and ship should stop within some seconds. That means computer automatically applies reverse throttle so stop you (in space you'd normally continue with the achieved speed even with engine turned off. Acceleration will be 0, but speed would be constant since you have no resistance). If you turn flight assist off you'll start screaming at this stage ;) no worries,later you might join the FAOFF guys and never use it ;)

I can also advise to leave training and start thr game in Solo! You don't risk anything and can delete the save anytime, if you get lost or do smth terribly wrong. If you crash the rebuy of stock ship is 0,- so no worries. Training missions are nice, but should not cause frustration.. just skip those prescribed scenarios and take a deep dive. We're here and will help anytime.

o7 Commander

Thanks for the tips ��

I can bind the necessary commands to my PS4 Gamepad like any other controller? Maybe the current 4 functions of the touchpad on the gamepad can be replaced binding the fore/aft/left/right thrusters.
On PC, I can push the left stick in to toggle alternate flight controls. It then switches left/right on the right stick from yaw to left/right thrusters. This can be handy for landing, but not nearly as funny to watch as my nose-dive method.

If it helps I don't use the forward and back thrusters, as careful use of the throttle has the same effect. I'm not sure how I would dock without them though, full marks for those that do. Thrusters are also useful in combat so worth working out some controls for them.

That's how I have been moving up until now but find that by the time I have moved from forward to reverse I have overshot lol.

Yeah it takes practice :) Also different in each ship, a tip though to make the throttle less sensitive is to move all you pips to other things. This reduces your acceleration and top speed making the throttle easier to use for small adjustments.

Top Bottom