Release EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

I'm using EDDiscovery to track my activities, but detailed entries only go back to 31/10/16.

Is it possible to get a detailed Elite activity log that goes right back to the beginning?

I've used Admin > Read 2.1 and former log files > Force reload logs, and I've tried the following folders:

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs
C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1010\Logs

This gets me history back to 16/10/15, but there's no more detail than just jumps.

Is anything more than this available?

Nothing more, detailed journal was only added in 2.2
And netLog only contained jumps if it was activated.

Any chance of adding a calculator function to EDDiscovery? What I'm looking for is something that can take real-world astronomical data (right ascension, declination, distance) and convert them to in-game X,Y,Z coordinates.

I can do this with the following python script (relies on pyephem) but it would be nice to have something in a nice and easy GUI.

import sys, os
sys.path.append(os.path.dirname(__file__) + "lib64/python2.7/site-packages")

import ephem
import math

def eq2ed(ra,dec,r): # Convert J2000 right ascension, declination, and distance (ly) to ED X,Y,Z
eq = ephem.Equatorial(ra,dec)
gal = ephem.Galactic(eq)
x = r * math.cos(gal.lat) * -math.sin(gal.lon)
y = r * math.sin(gal.lat)
z = r * math.cos(gal.lat) * math.cos(gal.lon)
print('x=%f y=%f z=%f' % (x,y,z))

def ed2eq(x,y,z): # Convert ED X,Y,Z to J2000 right ascension, declination, and distance (ly)
r = math.sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)
lat = math.asin(y/r)
lon = math.atan2(-x,z)
gal = ephem.Galactic(lon,lat)
eq = ephem.Equatorial(gal)
print('ra=%s dec=%s dist=%f' % (eq.ra,eq.dec,r))

# [PUT YOUR DATA BELOW HERE]

# Example: get Tycho's star coordinates in ED
r = 8900 # suspected distance to sol in light years
ra = '0:25:22' # right ascension in hours:minutes:seconds
dec = '64:09:0' # declination in degrees:degree_minutes:degree_seconds
eq2ed(ra,dec,r) # call the function to do the conversion

# Example: get Sagittarius A* real world equatorial coordinates based on location in ED
x = 25.21875
y = -20.90625
z = 25899.96875
ed2eq(x,y,z) # call the function to do the conversion

Thanks go to CMDR hiciacit for the code.

Hi, I've installed the latest version but it scans my logs to a point then stops. The history tab only goes as far as 29th/March/2017... even though all logs are in the same directory. Do I need to give it aa kick somehow, or is something up?

Any chance of adding a calculator function to EDDiscovery? What I'm looking for is something that can take real-world astronomical data (right ascension, declination, distance) and convert them to in-game X,Y,Z coordinates.

I can do this with the following python script (relies on pyephem) but it would be nice to have something in a nice and easy GUI.

Thanks for that snippet. I was just about to embark on the reverse transformation (X, Y, Z) -> (RA, Dec, Dist) and you've saved me the trouble. My use case is plotting my expeditions on the celestial sphere.

I'm in COLONIA and I've noticed that some systems are shown in EDDiscovery with Ghost bodies, bodies that don't exist.

Here are 6 examples:

unVMOLl.png

nWrIKiZ.png

Zsvh2i9.png

pq1Lq1J.png

rb1dlju.png

KYIOhTZ.png

Last edited:

import sys, os
sys.path.append(os.path.dirname(__file__) + "lib64/python2.7/site-packages")

import ephem
import math

def eq2ed(ra,dec,r): # Convert J2000 right ascension, declination, and distance (ly) to ED X,Y,Z
eq = ephem.Equatorial(ra,dec)
gal = ephem.Galactic(eq)
x = r * math.cos(gal.lat) * -math.sin(gal.lon)
y = r * math.sin(gal.lat)
z = r * math.cos(gal.lat) * math.cos(gal.lon)
print('x=%f y=%f z=%f' % (x,y,z))

def ed2eq(x,y,z): # Convert ED X,Y,Z to J2000 right ascension, declination, and distance (ly)
r = math.sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)
lat = math.asin(y/r)
lon = math.atan2(-x,z)
gal = ephem.Galactic(lon,lat)
eq = ephem.Equatorial(gal)
print('ra=%s dec=%s dist=%f' % (eq.ra,eq.dec,r))

# [PUT YOUR DATA BELOW HERE]

# Example: get Tycho's star coordinates in ED
r = 8900 # suspected distance to sol in light years
ra = '0:25:22' # right ascension in hours:minutes:seconds
dec = '64:09:0' # declination in degrees:degree_minutes:degree_seconds
eq2ed(ra,dec,r) # call the function to do the conversion

# Example: get Sagittarius A* real world equatorial coordinates based on location in ED
x = 25.21875
y = -20.90625
z = 25899.96875
ed2eq(x,y,z) # call the function to do the conversion

Nice idea. Added to the never ending list https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/issues/1070

Can I bring my WP's

Oops!!! Methinks I'am in the wrong thread.... so sorry

I am busy planning an extensive, personal trip into the void.
With no particular direction or any sense of urgency, my plan is to set Waypoints as and when they are needed. So my question is as follows..
Is it possible [and if so, how] to periodically feed groups of WPs from the Routes panel into a
live Expedition panel?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Quick question, is there a way to sort the journal by dates and times? I'd like to sort by just the items that have happened on my small worlds expedition but I can't seem to do so.

Just click the column header in any of the grids and it should sort by it. The journal ones should be sorted by timestamp by default.

(If you actually mean filter to a custom date range then not at the minute, no. You can do it on the maps but not the journal views)

So I got a new computer in Sept of 2016. I realize all my log files start in Oct 25th of 2016 and there are no records of any older logs. So was going to try and convert the 2.1 and older log files, but I can't seem to locate them at all (I had just completed a 11 month exploration journey).

So where would the older logs be hiding if not in the same location as the current logs?

Try

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs

Nope unfortunately I don't have that Products folder at all so no logs. But as I think you stated before I had to have had to turn them on or something in a netlog script to start with back then which I never did (never got around to using this until just recently)...

Any Chance you can add the estimated value into the export under import/export - I see it's in the 'send data to grid' export on the history and journal tabs, but not in the comma delimited export form the import/export tab.

Also, on the send data to grid export, the Body Name looks to actually be the System Name - there is no A,B,C,1,2,3 etc for the body counts.

Great tool :)

Last edited:
Nope unfortunately I don't have that Products folder at all so no logs. But as I think you stated before I had to have had to turn them on or something in a netlog script to start with back then which I never did (never got around to using this until just recently)...

You could try doing a search in Windo$e Explorer for netLog*.log as mine were never in the supposed locations. (For some reason my E D files were in different places to what I have seen elsewhere.)

good luck

It can take a fair while to open now and it does lock the front end while it opens - my box is fairly high spec and it's still several tens of seconds (we probably need to do something about that because it's only going to get worse now that the volume of stars with known positions is going up so much faster than anticipated when it was written). How long a hang are we talking here?

You could try doing a search in Windo$e Explorer for netLog*.log as mine were never in the supposed locations. (For some reason my E D files were in different places to what I have seen elsewhere.)

good luck

Ok I'll have to check that out then.

And on the 3D map, I'm not having any issues opening it up at all...

Ok was able to find them in C:\Games on SSD\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Log. However they only date back to August of last year when I got my new computer. I tried loading them up with the READ 2.1 AND OLDER FILES, but It still doesn't show anything from that time (I was still on my exploration trip).

I'm just going to assume it was all lost from mid Oct and earlier...

Ok was able to find them in C:\Games on SSD\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Log. However they only date back to August of last year when I got my new computer. I tried loading them up with the READ 2.1 AND OLDER FILES, but It still doesn't show anything from that time (I was still on my exploration trip).

I'm just going to assume it was all lost from mid Oct and earlier...

You must not have had "verbose logging" enabled then, shame.

Top Bottom