Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Double Action Jackson (01.07.3303 - 09.07.3303)

Not before, just after. Honestly more of a flavor thing (though I will be keeping track of statistics), and unnecessary for scoring, so submit away!

I also assumed people would repair to full before the race, although for the sake of science I'll stipulate that. :p

No rules against AFMU usage, right? I'm not sure how many neutron jumps an Eagle can take.

No rules against AFMU usage, right? I'm not sure how many neutron jumps an Eagle can take.

I actually just realized that I forgot to include a "no repairs" rule, and was about to add it. Do you think it would really hurt the Eagle's performance? The hauler doesn't seem to take much damage from neutron jumps, I've been able to do 8-10 at a time without an AFMU.

I actually just realized that I forgot to include a "no repairs" rule, and was about to add it. Do you think it would really hurt the Eagle's performance? The hauler doesn't seem to take much damage from neutron jumps, I've been able to do 8-10 at a time without an AFMU.

I wasn't even thinking about it from a performance perspective, I was thinking about it from a "can I finish the run without getting into FSD malfunction territory?" perspective. I'll run it and promise not to repair unless it's unavoidable, and if it proves to be unavoidable we'll discuss how to handle that.

I wasn't even thinking about it from a performance perspective, I was thinking about it from a "can I finish the run without getting into FSD malfunction territory?" perspective. I'll run it and promise not to repair unless it's unavoidable, and if it proves to be unavoidable we'll discuss how to handle that.

Yeah, by "performance" I actually meant "can keep flying."

Sounds like a good plan. Although the Eagle should be making the same number of neutron boosted jumps and everyone else, right? Most of the jumps will be standard, and shouldn't hurt the drives, unless you have some secret strategy I don't know about. :D

Last time I was flying this Hauler, it was with engineered enhanced performance thrusters and an engineered A-rated power distributor. After that, flying with stock D-rated thrusters and distributor is just painfully slow...

To put it a different way: Intent to race; Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr; Regulation Hauler; Shirley Knot :)

Yeah, by "performance" I actually meant "can keep flying."

Sounds like a good plan. Although the Eagle should be making the same number of neutron boosted jumps and everyone else, right? Most of the jumps will be standard, and shouldn't hurt the drives, unless you have some secret strategy I don't know about. :D

Well, Eagles tend to run hot, and even more so in a combat build, but this ain't the A* Challenge and I'm not going to be scooping like a madman (with a 2A fuel scoop, I have to do two laps around the star to fill up anyway, so what's the point trying to rush?), so I doubt it will be a problem, I just have no sense of how durable (or not) an Eagle's FSD is in terms of neutron boosts

Well, Eagles tend to run hot, and even more so in a combat build, but this ain't the A* Challenge and I'm not going to be scooping like a madman (with a 2A fuel scoop, I have to do two laps around the star to fill up anyway, so what's the point trying to rush?), so I doubt it will be a problem, I just have no sense of how durable (or not) an Eagle's FSD is in terms of neutron boosts

Well I got a 2A scoop on my Cobra MK 3 too... but I tend to just sit there at the star quietly until the tank fills up :) I only swap it out with a 4A one when racing it... otherwise for normal stuff I use the 2A.

First attempt completed. Because I didn't see otherwise in the OP prior to launch, I repaired mid-race; not because of overheating / supercharge damage, but because of a mis-aimed station entrance that left me at 6% hull.

Still lots of room to do better, so if it's a problem I can just submit another time at a later date (which might still be this date, but a later time).

First run submitted - Comfortably in last place, I presume.
Any chance at a time close to 15 minutes would need double-charging the FSD. Something I haven't succeeded at yet.

Anyway, great race. Hope I get the opportunity to improve my time before this race is over :)

Run submitted. Note to use the submission form listed in the 'Proof and Submissions' section as the one linked to in point 8 of 'How to Fly' links to the wrong submission (it links to the form for the 'Cinco max maxxer' or something like that).
I don't expect to have time for more runs today but I'll see - I might be able to make an attempt this evening, although I had one transaction server error as it is and Sunday evenings are peak time. I still need multiple attempts half the time to get the supercharge. I am improving at it though, which is the main thing I want to learn from this race, along with handling the Corvette at speed. If you think a T6 has poor deceleration, the Corvette will change your mind - it's the one aspect of its handling that behaves like a big ship, otherwise it's almost like flying a Python. (I'm running with downsized thrusters, so maybe with 7A thrusters it would be less of an issue).

Another run submitted, slightly faster this time. Met CMDR Edelgard von Rhein on the track in her Corvette. Hope she had an easier time with the neutron stars.
Since the game does not draw the exclusion zone circles around them, I keep faceplanting into HIP 41817 B's gravity well.

Another run submitted, slightly faster this time. Met CMDR Edelgard von Rhein on the track in her Corvette. Hope she had an easier time with the neutron stars.
Since the game does not draw the exclusion zone circles around them, I keep faceplanting into HIP 41817 B's gravity well.
I've done that, despite this friendly hint in the Objectives:
Ride the purple wave.

iLIxUZM.png

After a full weekend of racing, results are starting to show up on the Double Action Jackson scoreboard!

Our first contestant, CMDR Beth Johanson, who suffered an untimely collision with a race official manning the docking slot. Luckily that doesn't disqualify you in Buckyballing, and she restarted mere minutes later, unfazed by her brush with death. It's possible the adrenaline injections in the RemLok suit aided her concentration as well, as she turned in a dashing time of 17:27 while flying Lord Thunderhead III, well below the advertised time of 20 minutes, and making 15 seem within reach. Come back soon Beth, we hope to get you some competition!

In Open Unlimited, CMDR Jak was the first to brave the Open Unlimited course, in a stylish red Dolphin, Enigma Limo. While he overfilled the tank at some point during the race (and really, who among us hasn't?), his extra jump didn't hurt his standings at all, with a time of 25:20 placing him at the top of the leaderboard for the first day.

CMDR Stern Winter followed shortly after in his well-known Asp Explorer, Polar Express. Unfortunately he left the Planetary Approach Suite equipped , which led to a very unfortunate "TOO FAST FOR ORBITAL CRUISE" warning from his "helpful" nav computer outside O'Neill Settlement. Better luck next time CMDR, I'm always forgetting my PAS, leaving it off when I'm trying to visit engineers, or on while racing past planets. With just a minute between him and first place, it could make all the difference, and, what's this? Oh, a new entry has just been received from CMDR Winter, too late for tonight's update, but it'll be on the board first thing tomorrow. CMDR Jak better watch his back!

Last, but not at all least, CMDR Edelgard von Rhein swung the Federal Corvette Pierre Aronnax around the course with admirable aplomb. It's not often we see racing ships above 1,000 tones, but CMDR Edelgard enjoys cruising in the big ones, . Appropriate to name is after Prof Pierre, although I think the fictional Nautilus still has a higher displacement (1507 tons, which I'm pretending is similar since water ships confuse me). In a class of her own, she finished in just over an hour, after being plagued by strange witchspace issues. Well done CMDR! I certainly didn't expect to see any Federal vessels on this race, but love being surprised!

See you tomorrow racers, the competition has only just begun! o7

And may the purple wave roll ever in your favor.

In the meantime, I finally managed to get back to (supposed) civilization following a short 16000 ly stroll in my brand new Dolphin to the rim and back. Having tripled my initial credits amount, and with the added bonus of this, I can now prepare myself for riding the purple wave. :)

Also, whatever the paint they use at Saud Kruger, it can withstand a lot of misuse: thousands of ls traveled in SC, several close brushes with blue giants and neutron stars, 35% of hull integrity lost during the entire cruise, and it barely came off around corners. Just a bit of polish here and there and it's as good as new:
Xl3X0C5.jpg

It really travels in style!

After a couple more attempts I've submitted my new best time. To my surprise, it turned out to be from the only run where I had a 'target obscured' upon leaving O'Neill Settlement. That means there's clear room for improvement but I think it also shows that smoothly and quickly getting the supercharge is very important and can save quite a few seconds on every attempt.
Fly fast and have fun on the course! o7

I expect I'll be taking advantage of the holiday tomorrow to make my run, since I expect it to be... fairly time-consuming. Probably only going to take one shot at this in the Eagle, though since I happen to be back in the bubble I might roll out Joyeuse for a more serious attempt if you don't mind me using my two accounts to enter twice (I recognize that entering twice in the same division is usually not allowed, but given there are only two divisions in this race, and one of my entries is clearly not a serious attempt to compete, might that qualify for an exception?)

Top Bottom