Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Double Action Jackson (01.07.3303 - 09.07.3303)

I expect I'll be taking advantage of the holiday tomorrow to make my run, since I expect it to be... fairly time-consuming. Probably only going to take one shot at this in the Eagle, though since I happen to be back in the bubble I might roll out Joyeuse for a more serious attempt if you don't mind me using my two accounts to enter twice (I recognize that entering twice in the same division is usually not allowed, but given there are only two divisions in this race, and one of my entries is clearly not a serious attempt to compete, might that qualify for an exception?)

Sounds fine with me! I was really torn about having just one class for "Open Unlimited", but wanted to keep this race as simple as possible (after the fiasco that was Cinco MaXXXXXer Mixer) You can definitely have one slot on the board for every ship type, although I might leave off placements for secondary and tertiary ships. The race officials will have a huddle.

Run submitted. Note to use the submission form listed in the 'Proof and Submissions' section as the one linked to in point 8 of 'How to Fly' links to the wrong submission (it links to the form for the 'Cinco max maxxer' or something like that).
I don't expect to have time for more runs today but I'll see - I might be able to make an attempt this evening, although I had one transaction server error as it is and Sunday evenings are peak time. I still need multiple attempts half the time to get the supercharge. I am improving at it though, which is the main thing I want to learn from this race, along with handling the Corvette at speed. If you think a T6 has poor deceleration, the Corvette will change your mind - it's the one aspect of its handling that behaves like a big ship, otherwise it's almost like flying a Python. (I'm running with downsized thrusters, so maybe with 7A thrusters it would be less of an issue).

Thanks, fixed! Also added a giant submit link at the top.

Someday I'll try a Federal Covfefe, but for now my Federation rank is Petty Officer, and I can't find the will to grind it higher. :p

Sounds fine with me! I was really torn about having just one class for "Open Unlimited", but wanted to keep this race as simple as possible (after the fiasco that was Cinco MaXXXXXer Mixer) You can definitely have one slot on the board for every ship type, although I might leave off placements for secondary and tertiary ships. The race officials will have a huddle.

Cool, it's not like Crystal is going to place anywhere other than dead last anyway, unless someone is really just touring the course.

Someday I'll try a Federal Covfefe

200_s.gif

Sorry, couldn't hold it!

Time for the scheduled mid-day scoreboaad update!

The technicians are scrambling behind the scenes while toddlers are napping, and have found two updates to the scoreboard:

eC2FVSx.png

First off, coming in from yesterday, CMDR Stern Winter is becoming fast friends with HIP 41817 B, hugging the exclusion zone for dear life. In spite of its lack of friendly reciprocation, he managed to lower his time by a full minute, smoothly sliding into first place, although hovering just above the 25 minute barrier. Will CMDR Jak stand for this aggression? Only time can tell.

And in third place, we have an admirable increase in time from CMDR Edelgard, who had to deal with Chacocha 1 obscuring her exit from O'Neill Settlement, but took her overall time down by almost 4 minutes!

In the Staging area, things are looking busy as well, with new racers piling into the bar as fast as others leave on their runs.

KGoCzPk.png

CMDRs Markzx59 and Cheetah have arrived at "The Greasy Drive", a dive bar well-known amongst certain populations for its high-fuel content drinks, as well as being the actual engine room of a Federal Corvette.
There was an inexperienced pilot who accidentally boosted inside the docking bay, and lodged deep enough in the superstructure of Hammond Gateway that it was cheaper to rebuild around it rather than extract the wreckage.
For some reason the Buckyballers seem to commiserate and sympathise with this negligent misuse of Federal property.
Rumors that the pilot was participating in training for the "Border Hopping" Buckyball race have been vociferously denied by all Federal officials.

In a new and exciting announcement, race officials have secured participation trophies for all successful racers in Double Action Jackson!

3 inch round Buckyball Racing Club stickers will be mailed to all pilots who complete an entry and (privately) submit their address.

kA8jjyR.jpg

Last edited:
You know it's going to be one of THOSE races when your first submitted time seems to be have been an accidental ideal run. :rolleyes:

Four runs attempted today, and all four of those had to be aborted for one reason or another. Two for scooping too much fuel. One for scooping too little fuel. And the last one was right on the money, only to have my hyperspace jump turn into an endless one. :(

At least I know it CAN be done. The trick is going to be figuring out how to do it intentionally every time.

Submitted a first run that went pretty smooth despite leaving ample room for improvement. I was planning on making another one, but then I remembered I also had other plans for the night: I left the telescope outside to reach thermal balance more than an hour before, and I completely forgot it. :eek:

At least I found time for both activities in the end!
xv4XSmA.jpg
(seriously, if you have a telescope lying around, now is a good time to use it ;))

I said to myself, "I'm having a really good run!"
In reply, myself asked I, "Why don't we remember docking anywhere yet?"
I fumbled, "Er...where...oh shhh..."
Myself said, "There are children nearby."
"...shoot."

25 minute barrier destroyed. Getting below 20 is going to be a challenge. Below 15? That will be amazing to see.

In a new and exciting announcement, race officials have secured participation trophies for all successful racers in Double Action Jackson!

3 inch round Buckyball Racing Club stickers will be mailed to all pilots who complete an entry and (privately) submit their address.

Stickers?!?! And here's me still trying to fit a square peg Eagle into a round hole alien doorway.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...e-adventure)?p=5688135&viewfull=1#post5688135

Wait for me! I'll be there before the end.

Last edited:
(one of these days, I really need to figure out how to edit these videos)

Attention video fans! I use Windows Movie Maker for video editing which used to be free. I just spotted over on facebook that one kind commander has archived the last free version of Windows Live Essentials (which includes Movie Maker). Grab it while it's still available!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz9s47uswaozg0n/Windows Essentials.zip?dl=0

P.S. I haven't verified this download so you should probably virus check it although it was on the private Hutton Orbital group and they're usually a pretty trustworthy bunch ... right?

Here's a hint at how I trimmed off those minutes:

Did the same :p, still haven't managed a practical double charge while in the race though. Also, that damn literal bucket of bolts can't make the single jump from Jackson's to Beta Sculptoris, so the only actual instance where the double jump is practical remains to O'Neill and back. May I say, it's a pity to see so few racers (but probably the summer season is taking its toll on our availability), this course is a blast and offers yet another new thing to learn/practice/apply. Kudos to the spacebear!

Well I managed to execute a fairly smooth, mid-race DAJ supercharge, but due to a tank overfill and other minor mistakes it did not improve on the time that I submitted last night; missed by 21 seconds.

Did the same :p, still haven't managed a practical double charge while in the race though. Also, that damn literal bucket of bolts can't make the single jump from Jackson's to Beta Sculptoris, so the only actual instance where the double jump is practical remains to O'Neill and back.
I'm in the same boat (relatively speaking). My Dolphin only has a moderately good tier 5 engineering mod, but even with an excellent one it won't be enough. (edit: a highly engineered) DBX or Asp X will be necessary for an optimal run.

May I say, it's a pity to see so few racers (but probably the summer season is taking its toll on our availability), this course is a blast and offers yet another new thing to learn/practice/apply. Kudos to the spacebear!
Agreed! I won't be able to take many more cracks at it, but I'm already much much better at the double action charging than I was a few days ago. I can now easily imagine that with enough practice, using x2 charging for refuel jumps during an Unlimited Sadge A* run would be reasonable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom