PS4 Thrustmaster hotas 4, yay or nay?

Someday I think it would be great fun to have a "DS4 vs HOTAS" matchup in CQC. Anyone up for the challenge? Does CQC allow players to pick sides?

personally I think if a game has too many buttons required
voice attack can become essential..............................
I have this set on silent hunter4 sub sim and like diego costa shout "dive! dive! dive!" quite often and thustly "hard to starboard,"middships" almost making the game fully voice controlled like a real captain periscope is manual on the joystick for eg
so when it comes to elite ,my controller is for movement and targeting only and voice attack is for everything else

personally I think if a game has too many buttons required
voice attack can become essential..............................
I have this set on silent hunter4 sub sim and like diego costa shout "dive! dive! dive!" quite often and thustly "hard to starboard,"middships" almost making the game fully voice controlled like a real captain periscope is manual on the joystick for eg
so when it comes to elite ,my controller is for movement and targeting only and voice attack is for everything else

One of the features in SC is using touch screens and voice commands and it's fantastic. Being able to switch modes, hit thrusters, deploy counter measures and such all by using your voice and/or hitting a touchscreen button is sweeeeeeet

Yes it has the same amount but why go and pay money for something that is yes going to enable better control of the ship in most cases for most people, but not all when it's going to offer no extra functionality to gameplay.

It would be like buying something like a Scuff controller and then not using the extra buttons, yes it offers slightly better control but without those extra buttons it's effectively the same as a standard controller.

I give it a YAY. I used the Xbox 360 controller on my PC for a bit. It had some little quirks but also some features that I can't quite duplicate on the HOTAS. However, overall I think the HOTAS for me is an improvement.

Yes it has the same amount but why go and pay money for something that is yes going to enable better control of the ship in most cases for most people, but not all when it's going to offer no extra functionality to gameplay.

It would be like buying something like a Scuff controller and then not using the extra buttons, yes it offers slightly better control but without those extra buttons it's effectively the same as a standard controller.

I just honestly don't understand what you're getting at. If you don't like them, that's great. Everyone has their opinion, but passing along false info on the product to someone asking for information to make a purchasing decision isn't as cool. I get where you're coming from, it's not a peripheral that you see any use or need for, but stating that it's inferior due to physical limitations (such as less buttons) is a bit off for the purposes of this thread :)

Anyhow, getting back on-topic:

To the OP, as I sad earlier, if you're wanting something to add to the sim feel of the game on the PS4 I don't think you can go wrong with the Thrustmaster 4. If you're willing to shell out for the equivalent of a hardware emulator (anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on the model and such) which allows you to use any input peripheral from MKB to HOTAS, then I'd just go with the Tmaster 4.

I just honestly don't understand what you're getting at. If you don't like them, that's great. Everyone has their opinion, but passing along false info on the product to someone asking for information to make a purchasing decision isn't as cool. I get where you're coming from, it's not a peripheral that you see any use or need for, but stating that it's inferior due to physical limitations (such as less buttons) is a bit off for the purposes of this thread :)

Anyhow, getting back on-topic:

To the OP, as I sad earlier, if you're wanting something to add to the sim feel of the game on the PS4 I don't think you can go wrong with the Thrustmaster 4. If you're willing to shell out for the equivalent of a hardware emulator (anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on the model and such) which allows you to use any input peripheral from MKB to HOTAS, then I'd just go with the Tmaster 4.

Without wanting to sound like an arrogant idiot that I suspect you may think I am but I would kindly ask you to read my first post again.

I said I would recommend a Hotas to anyone for playing this game over a controller, but because the one that is currently available offers no functional improvement to playing the game, other than slightly better control then in my opinion it is not worth it if you can play with a controller perfectly fine.

If it offered a functional improvement which the only way it could do is by having more buttons then it would be a easy yes, but because it does not then again in my opinion it is not worth buying because you are swapping 1 restrictive form of input for another.

This is coming from someone who has played this game since a early beta stage on PC and has owned a Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X which is identical to a Hotas 4, and found it severly lacking although the saving grace was that you could map functions to another input device, and then I have also owned a X55 and currently use a X56 on the PC which both offer enough buttons to offer a functional improvement to gameplay which you cannot get on the PS4.

So once again if someone cannot play with a controller for what ever reason then yes a Hotas 4 is worth buying, but if you can play with a controller and it's fine then it's not worth buying.

Without wanting to sound like an arrogant idiot that I suspect you may think I am but I would kindly ask you to read my first post again.

I said I would recommend a Hotas to anyone for playing this game over a controller, but because the one that is currently available offers no functional improvement to playing the game, other than slightly better control then in my opinion it is not worth it if you can play with a controller perfectly fine.

If it offered a functional improvement which the only way it could do is by having more buttons then it would be a easy yes, but because it does not then again in my opinion it is not worth buying because you are swapping 1 restrictive form of input for another.

This is coming from someone who has played this game since a early beta stage on PC and has owned a Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X which is identical to a Hotas 4, and found it severly lacking although the saving grace was that you could map functions to another input device, and then I have also owned a X55 and currently use a X56 on the PC which both offer enough buttons to offer a functional improvement to gameplay which you cannot get on the PS4.

So once again if someone cannot play with a controller for what ever reason then yes a Hotas 4 is worth buying, but if you can play with a controller and it's fine then it's not worth buying.

My two cents would be, if one is a comple noob with no experience with a controler such as the ds4 or the hotas 4. In so much as the they both have a learning curve, the hotas 4 is far better. Should one have invested a lot of time playing with a ds4, then not so much because of the new learning curve. Though one can configure all the bottons the same, the muscle memory has to be reprogramed.

I will say this and it's my opinion.

No experience with Hotas 4 or equivalent or Controller, get which ever they will be basically the same, good control with a limit on what you can do at the same time within game.

Experience with controller but not with Hotas 4 or equivalent, stick to the controller it's a waste of money buying the Hotas 4.

Experience only with Hotas 4 or equivalent then use that, since you probably won't want to try a controller.

Hi

I played for a couple of days with DS4 and then HOTAS parcel arrived. I tried it out but could not get on with it. I used to play other flight stuff on PC with a Black Widow so have experience of HOTAS control but for me, the DS4 is incredibly well optimised (except perhaps boost/landing gear anomaly) so I have stuck with DS4 and returned HOTAS for refund. Hope this helps.

Someday I think it would be great fun to have a "DS4 vs HOTAS" matchup in CQC. Anyone up for the challenge? Does CQC allow players to pick sides?

Not sure that would prove anything. I think DS4 is more geared towards combat personally (others may disagree) whilst HOTAS is a more slowly but surely approach. At least that's how I play.

After getting the game I spent a few days playing with the ds4 and got to be okay with it. Still I felt like trying out the game with the HOTAS and I am glad I did. I have made a few changes to the button mapping and it controls so much better now. I definitely recommend getting it and taking sometime to setup the buttons how you think will work for you. I have turned off the head lock for now but may put it back on later as I change a few more. One thing I won't change is that I put the vertical and lateral thrusters on the hat switch and made R3 plus the hat switch to control the PIPs. I also made the forward and reverse thrusters the rockers on the throttle and can now leave it in the blue zone during combat and if I need to speed up or slow down quickly I can use the thrusters and when I let go they immediately drop back into the blue for better control. I also have L3 as my flight assist off but I set it to hold so I can make quick maneuvers with it and then let go to let the Computer quickly help me get stable again. In any case I highly recommend getting the HOTAS. I certinaly haven't regretted it.

I bought a PS4 Pro and a HOTAS T.Flight 4 specifically for Elite a Dangerous. So far I am loving it! I gave my wife my old PS4 hoping she would get into games and give me more ED time! :p

Anyway, I downloaded ED on my old original PS4 and tried the DS4 and found it really tricky. I used it for a few trade runs only as I wasn't confident with combat with it. I think it is a great controller but my muscle memory is already HOTAS 4 oriented.

In conclusion I think both are great but the HOTAS is definitely more immersive and I love it! I might use the DS4 for exploration when jumping system to system on days when I want to relax on the the sofa but for combat the HOTAS wins hands down. Also I think just practice helps immensely with either.

Last edited:
HOTAS 4 for me. To be fair I haven't tried the DS4, but I find the HOTAS really easy to use. The only, very small, learning curve is where the square, triangle, etc. buttons are. After that's in your muscle memory its easy. I haven't even bothered to do any remapping. I would definitely recommend it.

Wow - look another HOTAS thread - almost like we NEEDED a seperate sub-forum for it.. but i know it will never happen......

@OP - the short answer is - you have to try it to see. Some people like it some don't - what else is new. See if you can beg, borrow or steal one and let other's opinions be their own...

thread closed lets all move on....

Wow - look another HOTAS thread - almost like we NEEDED a seperate sub-forum for it.. but i know it will never happen......

@OP - the short answer is - you have to try it to see. Some people like it some don't - what else is new. See if you can beg, borrow or steal one and let other's opinions be their own...

thread closed lets all move on....

You're a mod now? Congrats.

also I decided to order one from Amazon and it's arriving tomorrow :)

After getting the game I spent a few days playing with the ds4 and got to be okay with it. Still I felt like trying out the game with the HOTAS and I am glad I did. I have made a few changes to the button mapping and it controls so much better now. I definitely recommend getting it and taking sometime to setup the buttons how you think will work for you. I have turned off the head lock for now but may put it back on later as I change a few more. One thing I won't change is that I put the vertical and lateral thrusters on the hat switch and made R3 plus the hat switch to control the PIPs. I also made the forward and reverse thrusters the rockers on the throttle and can now leave it in the blue zone during combat and if I need to speed up or slow down quickly I can use the thrusters and when I let go they immediately drop back into the blue for better control. I also have L3 as my flight assist off but I set it to hold so I can make quick maneuvers with it and then let go to let the Computer quickly help me get stable again. In any case I highly recommend getting the HOTAS. I certinaly haven't regretted it.

Oh, that sounds like a good idea! I might try moving the horizontal/vertical thrusters to hat switch too.

I dont think you will regret getting the hotas. I recommend you changing the bind for the landing gear as it uses the same button as boost, (boost is circle, landing gear is circle plus down dpad) already had an accident because of this but luckily didnt explode :) the last thing you want to do inside a station is boost.

Oh, that sounds like a good idea! I might try moving the horizontal/vertical thrusters to hat switch too.

It comes in very handy. I have gotten pretty good at landing it that way as I can make very fine adjustments as needed. Also since R3 is on the front right of the control stick it is easy to press down while using my thumb on the hat switch to quickly adjust the PIPs while in combat. Granted I haven't done much combat except a few bounties in my sidewinder but I figured I should practice in a cheap ship before upgrading to a better and more expensive one.

Top Bottom