Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Griefing is an issue that comes up a lot, thanks to another thread I've found the advice of Sandro Sammarco ED's lead designer on the griefing issue from way back in 2014. The block function (which has recently been improved) was developed specifically to deal with issues such as griefers.

Sandro Sammarco on using the block function to counter griefers in 2014:

"Hello Commanders!
In this instance, blocking the Commander might prove quite useful.
When you block somebody, a couple of things should happen.
Firstly, you will receive no communications from them.
Secondly, during any transition where matchmaking is at work (so basically, hyperspace jumps, entering and exiting super cruise) you are much less likely to be matched with the blocked Commander.
Blocking becomes weaker when it comes up against friends (and next year, player wings), because if a blocked Commander is in the same session as a friend (say, because they haven't blocked the Commander, the blocking effect is overruled by the friendship matchmaking.
Outside of this case though, blocking should work fine"

Link as it's too old to be quoted : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rdicted?p=1219313&highlight=BLOCK#post1219313

I've recently done some in-game experimentation with the block function at CG's and it now seems to be functioning as intended.

Here's a quick how to :

If instanced with a griefer go into your contacts tab select griefer, select block player.

Here's a longer how to on specifically tagging station griefers :

Visit any community goal, enter the station return to surface. Alt-tab and get on with something else when you hear explosions alt-tab back and have a look (this is why you are at the surface). If you see people ramming, dropping mines, doing the torpedo thing, target one add him to your block list, alt-tab check you-tube for the same CMDR griefing and grab the names of anyone flying with him, pencil them into your to be blocked list. Go AFK for an extended period when you come back check your contacts list and block any of the names on your list it has grabbed.

You can hurry this process up by assuming anyone whose avatar has clown face paint, neon hair and a purple exhaust is a griefer (check you-tube first to confirm).

Congratulations you've just fixed Elite Dangerous.

If you feel you were griefed/harassed report the player(s) in question

(all credit to Rootsrat)

Do this via in game report player tool. Harassing other players is not allowed in Elite and - while some may not agree that for example dropping bombs on a parked ship is harassment - if you feel you have been griefed (as opposed to ganked/attacked/killed in PVP, see below in spoiler tag), report it and let FDEV be the judge of that. They are Game Masters here and they have a final word in this.

Now, before the PVP players jump and crucify me - there is a very fine line between ganking and griefing. Someone interdicting, attacking and killing me my exploration equipped Conda is complete different to someone ramming a Cutter in their Sidewinder in order for the station to destroy the Cutter. It all depends on the context. Ganking is killing someone, griefing is harassing someone. There is a difference between the two, although sometimes it's not a big one. Griefing is not PVP. Coming onto someone's ship in Multi Crew and firing all their Cell Banks, so that they boil is griefing, not ganking. Destroying Sidewinders in Erevate or near Trevithick Dock is griefing, not PVP. Dropping bombs on a parked ship is on the border. (My opnion. Yours may differ, so may FDEV's. The latter is the final one though).

There are many different scenarios and like I said the line is very fine - but if you feel you were harassed in game, please report the griefer via the in game tools. The more reports FDEV gets about a player, the more evidence they will have. They may take no action or they may take some action. Let them be the judge.

Edit : quick clarification

I like PVP I block known cheats and station griefers, nobody else.

Edit : David Braben quote on griefing

In the words of David Braben "What would I want from a game ?, I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers. But having said that I do want a feeling of risk out there"

About 7 minutes in.
[video=youtube;N9ENkIB0cic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ENkIB0cic[/video]

Last edited:
And private if one insists on running into players but doesn't like fighting. Mobius is an option that OP should consider if they are that against player combat.

Maybe, the OP feels like fighting against other players is just fine, but dealing with some players is just not enjoyable for him. Blocking those that are out to ruin another player's game time, has absolutely nothing to do with PvP.

Are you trying to say that everyone that PvP's, also station griefs?

Maybe, the OP feels like fighting against other players is just fine, but dealing with some players is just not enjoyable for him. Blocking those that are out to ruin another player's game time, has absolutely nothing to do with PvP.

Are you trying to say that everyone that PvP's, also station griefs?

Mobius has Combat Zone PvP and allows for agreed upon duels, no unwanted PvP, which was a sticking point for OP in past threads in addition to station griefs.

Mobius has Combat Zone PvP and allows for agreed upon duels, no unwanted PvP, which was a sticking point for OP in past threads in addition to station griefs.

So? I know the rules in Mobius. None of that means a thing. The OP may just be fighting for a way to enjoy open, without the malcontents. I like to refer to them as HoBro's. The HoBros are not 'anyone who attacks another player', they are not pirates, they are annoyances to be avoided.

The Block feature is there for a reason, if it's inclusion in the game threatens your enjoyment of the game, that's something you need to address. It's not the Block functions fault.

I like PVP, it's cheats and station griefers only on my block list. I also like Mobius and solo, depends what mood I'm in.

OP updated.

Iv tested the block feature recently with friends. We temporarily unfriended each other before the test. I found that it often did not stop them from appearing in SC but when they tried to interdict me, or me them, when we dropped into normal space they were not there.

so short version is 'block griefers but dont make friends because if the griefer is a friend of the friend they can get around your block to grief you so the block is worthless if you have any friends.'

Yes, it definitely works. You can block griefers (or how they call themself, PVPers) using the block function. You only need to end up with the same instance as that person once. Block him and you are unlikely to ever see that person again in game. Problem solved.

Friends is a non-issue as long as you have only smart friends who block the same people. That actually will reinforce the separation because the same matchmaking system is more likely to place friends together.

Last edited:
In before the PvP enthusiasts claiming that their diminished ability to find victims (as opposed to, well, opponents) kills Elite Dangerous.

Oh drat, I am already too late.

No thanks.

Fine you can play 100% open, that's cool.

I spent several hours this evening fighting transatlantic instancing, static transition tunnels, failed wing drops, chronic lag, compositor frame drops in VR because the network latency screwed the render pipeline and a multitude of other Open abberations.

Sometimes I just want to hop about and do my thing without any immersion breaking drama.

I envy your tolerance.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom