Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

Hello CMDRs,

Is this info still current? All the best CV1 info towards the end?

I've just joined the 'Two HMD's, one head' club by ordering a Rift for mysellf and want to prepare. I spent a long time in the Vive thread, which helped a lot when I was getting started, but some of the info is dated now. Because of that I though I would ask...

Thank you

Since i've had my rift i've been all round the houses with settings going from using the debug tool originally, then going to in game settings with ss on 1 and hmd on 1.25 and being happy enough with that until i go planetside and have to maybe lower things a bit. I thought i would try the debug again since a few versions of oculus have been out since i got it.

Can someone try this out and seee wether the game plays smoother and looks less shimmery with these settings- debug set at 2, in game supersampling 0.65 and HMD set at 1.0. All seems good to me, smoother and afterburner seems to be running between 5-8 degrees cooler on the gpu.

Edit, Actually, i just tried no debug tool, just in game HMD set to 2 and ss set to 0.65 and that looks great too, i think i'll stop messing with ss and stick with this.

o7

Last edited:
I would also like to know how people get the Rift CV1 to work with Elite Dangerous , i can not get it to display anything. Ive restarted , rebooted , unplugged , etc. Without avail, Anyone else have idea`s ?

Last edited:
Start E.D. Open Options. Open Graphics. There is one setting called 3D. Click the + to open it up. Change it from Off to HMD with Headphones (or speakers if you prefer).
Done.

Thats not the same for me on a CV1. Shows SBS or that funky red `n` green version of 3D.

Thats not the same for me on a CV1. Shows SBS or that funky red `n` green version of 3D.
I would make sure you have enabled the allow apps from unknown sources in the Oculus home desktop app, that's what sorted this for me. When I did that, the option was in the dropdown as described.

Greetings all. I'm new to both VR and Elite.

I've tried to play elite in VR with the occulus touch controllers but that was, well, less than successful.

Does Elite support the touch or do I need to use the xbox controller and get something like voice attack for the extra commands? (which I suspect I'll have to do regardless) as I am not a touch typist?

When I get some time I'll go back thru the setup in the first post, the VR put me in the cockpit but I had to move to put my viewpoint in the same location as the avatar...

At this point in time can I confirm a few rumours I've seen knocking around?

Currently:
Steam version of ED only works with SteamVR running
Oculus version of ED only runs via Oculus drivers (or hacks if you have non-Oculus)
I don't know if the direct download is still offered

I have DK2. I play ED via Steam because it offers all the functions I want. So currently I must play ED via SteamVR, if I launch a "Normal" instance of ED and try to enable HMD (Headphones) via the Graphics menu I am only presented with SBS and Anaglyph, ED currently doesn't detect DK2 even on the latest stable and beta runtimes?

Is there something I'm missing?

At this point in time can I confirm a few rumours I've seen knocking around?

I have DK2. I play ED via Steam because it offers all the functions I want. So currently I must play ED via SteamVR, if I launch a "Normal" instance of ED and try to enable HMD (Headphones) via the Graphics menu I am only presented with SBS and Anaglyph, ED currently doesn't detect DK2 even on the latest stable and beta runtimes?

Is there something I'm missing?

I noticed this also? whats going on?

I've been having some issues as of late with my DK2, whenever i install the software/drivers it wont detect anything but the sensor. It outputs image of the oculus home onto my rift but it cuts off after 5 seconds only to show image again for another 5 seconds and it does this on and off. Does anyone know why?

Man o Man. started getting unable to connect messages again today @ OCULUS when launching into open or solo modes in the hanger menu. This on again off again is rerally getting old:O

Top Bottom