Due to my 'teribble Englich' I am not sure if I understand correctly what MB insinuates in this interview. I mean, would he have used the words "personal journey" if Raxxla was a simple stellar body somewhere fixed, which anybody could jump upon randomly? The following sentence he says then, which I cant understand a single word due to his...gorgeous beard, may also be interesting to analyze.

Also, DB's ...and we know where it is. It is.
Doesn't that overthrow the idea of a 'wandering planet' ?

My excellent British fellow threaders could put me out of doubt....

As a native English speaker (albeit from 'oop North') "It is" doesn't discount a wandering planet, it could just imply that FD would always know where it is located; however since the wandering planet hypothesis seems to come from the Oolite books which are not canon, then this hypothesis is very weak & I suspect not viable.

the sound quality at the start of that stream is not good, but I think MB did confirm Raxxla "is in the Milky Way" (which seems to discount the witchspace hypothesis), "no clues forthcoming at this stage" (i.e. some clues might be given sometime in the future, and might be why the Elite Dark Wheel missions stopped), and "it is a personal journey that everyone must make"; this last bit is interesting, it clearly could relate to a player's progress in the game and the stream host hypothesises this means triple elite is required before Raxxla could be found. That may be the case, or perhaps only single elite status? There is only one system we (currently) know of that is locked to Elite pilots, so this seems to lend weight to the hypothesis that Raxxla is related to Shinrarta Dehzra. There may of course be other interpretations, e.g. Raxxla is not related to SD but is permit locked to Elite (or lies across the galaxy, or you need to have travelled X ly before it is unlocked, or ....) and located elsewhere in the Milky Way.

Last edited:
Thx Scott !
Have a Scotch on me ! :)

Edit: so, it seems we nevertheless have a clue: Raxxla is something physical located in the Milky Way and its finding is not subject to a collective effort.
Unlike the FR mYsTeRy, who is searching matters.

Next step: finding the right quadrant ! :S

And to be sure there aren't no new DW mysterious missions, I am going to achieve this damned triple Elite status and then back to Shinrarta. NPC's beware !

I think you'll soon have more than sufficient NPCs to shake a large Mycoid flask at!

p.s. I'm a Yorkshireman not a Scot, but I'll happily drink a dram of Scotch (single malt!)

were the Dark Wheel SDezhra missions only open to triple elite, or could single elite attempt?

Last edited:
As I edited my post: they were single Elite afaik, but I suspect the FDevs capable of any perfidy !

Just been looking at the mission descriptions that MacrostheBlack posted on first page. Looks like there are three different types, according to Elite in exploration, trade or combat. Presumably you have to be Friendly/Allied with the DWheel to be able to get them. I'm Elite in Exploration & currently 36%Tycoon working towards Trade, but while I've visited Shinrarta for the engineer and ship equipment I haven't done any missions there yet.

It's been a long time since I've seen the missions mentioned in the OP. As far as I can see there's nothing special about the current missions (all factions) from Jameson Memorial than in any other system/station. Only minor curiosity is that I haven't seen any missions from other systems to Shinrarta Dezhra.

Elite & Founder missions are still on the mission board, they're just 'ordinary' missions.

Last edited:
Mind if I ask if you are Triple E ?

I mean, what if people were coming too close to finding Raxxla through these single E missions for the taste of FDEvs and they decided to harden the quest through triple E chained missions? Would be in their style. You follow the 'chain', unlocking systems, receiving new missions, unlocking..regions ! hahahahhaha I bet Raxxla is in Bovomit !

Tripple tripple E, I think. :)

(We are not worthy).

What exactly are we looking for?

We assume that Raxxla is somewhere within fairly easy reach of the Bubble, right? I mean ... Jason Ryder apparently discovered it's location way back around the year 3100 when space travel still required the use of the Faraway jump system to travel between the stars. Witchspace was crowded with monitoring satellites, branch lines, stop points, and rescue stations (according to The Dark Wheel novella). Jumping on your own to a system that wasn't a part of the Faraway system was fraught with danger.

Raxxla, therefore, is quite likely in humanity's own backyard.

I've been thinking about this for a while and have grown more and more convinced that Raxxla is in the Polaris system or, alternatively, can only be reached via a gateway in Polaris.

At only a few hundred light-years from Sol it seems reasonable that Polaris would have been a part of the Faraway network (not withstanding the fact that no real-world star systems appeared in the original Elite which had to generate the star maps from a Fibonacci sequence).

Polaris is currently Permit Locked which would make sense. I'm sure that Frontier Developments is quite aware of player interest in Raxxla. Having someone stumble on Raxxla prematurely would spoil the fun of being able to fully realize Raxxla's potential later on in game development when the client/server software is more feature-rich.

The Dark Wheel novella indicates that Raxxla is home to some kind of portal to other universes. As far as I know the closest thing in Elite canon (or apocrypha) to any kind of Portal accessible to players was in Frontier: First Encounters where the Thargoids opened a portal in the Polaris system that instantaneously transferred the player thousands of light-years away to the Thargoid world Miacke.

It would be poetic if Polaris, the North Star, used by mankind for centuries to find his way in darkness ends up being the beacon with which we unlock Elite's greatest mystery.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there something that would exclude Polaris as a candidate for Raxxla?

I assume otherwise.

It's specifically stated in TDW that it's in another galaxy.

Galactic hyperdrives are lore. The only thing that's not clear is whether they actually went to other galaxies or were just large jumps within our galaxy.

The old galaxies actually being part of our galaxies gives a pretty plausible explanation for some of the Permit locked sectors.

The Galactic hyperdrives are considered Quirium drive modifications, so that could be interpreted as ruling out intergalactic jumps in the faraway era, but several points to consider:
- misjumps were common with the Faraway system,
- many ships disappeared completely into witchspace and were never found again following faraway jumps

Only so many options for those ships that never returned:
- Destroyed
- Still in witchspace
- Back in normal space somewhere

Also prototypes of the Quirium and intergalactic drives would almost certainly have been around and in operation for a good time before they became standard.

Also the Quirium drives were supposedly derived from Thargoid tech so there's no telling how much of that tech was already being used in secret prior to Quirium drives becoming standard.

And I'm not even going to get into time-jumps.

All in all, I can't see any reason to discount the only statement that we have about the location of Raxxla. (With the amendment that 'other galaxies' may have just been distant parts of our galaxy.)

Last edited:
I wonder if there are any sectors or systems which are anagrams of raxxla.

System codes only allow us 4 letters due to the format of AA-A An-n

Remove duplicate letters from raxxla though and we get 4. raxl.

Could there be a system called something like Xarxal AX-R L1-10? Don't think so from what i remember of system naming conventions.

Not sure how helpful this could be: https://cim.sotl.org.uk/elite-dangerous/

I actually found one - Phooe bRA XX-L A76-0.

There may be a few more, but they are very rare. It may be the only one.

There are plenty of RA XX-L B and RA XX-L C systems, but the A is hard to find. :)

Edit: It's about 44kly out, but Colonia is half way there.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've seen the missions mentioned in the OP. As far as I can see there's nothing special about the current missions (all factions) from Jameson Memorial than in any other system/station. Only minor curiosity is that I haven't seen any missions from other systems to Shinrarta Dezhra.

Elite & Founder missions are still on the mission board, they're just 'ordinary' missions.

I can confirm this. Just recently got to Friendly with the Dark Wheel. Have been using both Jameson Memorial and Puleston Arsenal to get missions. Nothing out of the ordinary in the past two weeks.

If you can decipher MB's mumbling, seems Raxxla (of Elite: Dangerous) would be in the Milky Way. But make your own opinion ;)

Indeed, and he definitely says that but as I was saying, so in high likelihood are the other galaxies of old.

Equally, he might be being tricksy, and it could mean the Milky Way in the old sense of it being a white streaks across the sky (i.e. it might not been in this galaxy, but in another one which is in the direction of the Milky Way when seen from Earth). I think the literal interpretation's probably the correct one though.

Thanks for sharing that stream by the way, lots of interesting stuff in there!

Due to my 'teribble Englich' I am not sure if I understand correctly what MB insinuates in this interview. I mean, would he have used the words "personal journey" if Raxxla was a simple stellar body somewhere fixed, which anybody could jump upon randomly? The following sentence he says then, which I cant understand a single word due to his...gorgeous beard, may also be interesting to analyze.

Also, DB's ...and we know where it is. It is.
Doesn't that overthrow the idea of a 'wandering planet' ?

My excellent British fellow threaders could put me out of doubt....

Thanks for the link, Scytale.

On answering the question "There will be no clues?", Michael answer is interesting: "that is true, I think you have to make some of it a tiny little bit obvious, just so people know what they're doing".

The "tiny little bit obvious" part gives me hope that a clue exists that can be picked up by someone smart enough to find it. I'm inclined to vote for Shinrarta Dezhra, "journey of their own" suggests rank, and it is a tiny little bit obvious, since Shinrarta Dezhra is locked to the Elite rank.

More hour long super cruise trips in Shinrarta Dezhra then.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was just offered the following mission from Galcop Colonial Defense Mission on Dervish Platform in the Ogma system.

Appears to be a tourist beacon half way between the Heart and Soul Nebuli.

Top Bottom