A tale and a Warning to ALL!

I have now stopped playing this superb game but it is NOT the devs fault or the games, it is MY fault and my fault alone.. BEWARE!!

No, it is the dev's fault because they allowed such disparity in rewards in the first place. Humans will just go for the path of least resistance.

It is also the devs fault because they didn't include any compelling reasons to do anything in this game other than credits. The only exception would be missions to unlock the engineers, but there are no missions that offer anything unique, or an activity that is actually fun and engaging.

My recommendation, stop blaming youself, and wait for the devs to complete the game. Play something fun in the meantime.

I have created this account to tell me tale and post a warning to Elite Dangerous players!

I have now stopped playing this superb game but it is NOT the devs fault or the games, it is MY fault and my fault alone.. BEWARE!

I bought the game on the PS4 launch day, I love space games and have for decades, I fell in love with the game within an hour of playing it, so immersive, such fun!

However I struggled to make decent credits (by 'decent' I mean more than 20,000 an hour) So after looking around and reading various places I found out about Quince!

Off I went to Quince, took me a good day to get there but once there I was making a fortune! Planet scan missions I'd pick up 5-10-15 of them at a time and with the planet being so close I could get 3-8 million credits in under 6 mins!!

Soon I had 200m , then 3, then 5 then 700m

By then I had got to the point of picking up scan missions, doing them and then ramming my ship into the ground as it would save me the time to fly back and dock. (yes, really)

After doing this daily for a month, I got tired of it and this is where I ran into trouble.

I bought myself a Python, outfitted it and tried going to various places, but all the stations I found only offered me what I saw as "pointless" missions, ie ones for 50k, 200k or 1.1m

Did I want to do a mission that would take me an hour for 200k? no way!! , did I want to do a passenger mission for 5m that would take me 4-5 days to do? no way!!

I had been utterly spoiled by Quince and now I didn't even want to leave the dock unless I was getting paid 5-10m

a week of trying various things my love for the game waned and everything was "too much hassle for too little pay".

as from today the game isn't even installed on my PS4 anymore, I deleted the game files to get some space back because I know I won't be going back to it.

I know I ruined the game for myself by doing these runs over and over, I just hope my tale helps someone from falling into the same trap and spoiling the game for themselves in the same way I did.

That is all I wanted to say and goodbye.
peace, out!

If the above ruined the game for you then you are weak and this game isn't for you, especially if all you want is a good pay day...goodbye & good luck on your other endeavours :)

I'd say your solution is to re-evaluate what you want to do in the game. It sounds like you are only playing to make money. And I understand that is a very good metric for progress, and it is often progress in any game that drives the sense of reward and fun.

But after a point, the number of zeros at the end of your balance become meaningless. I have about 550m in my account. But I already have all the things I need, at this time. All the ships to do the things I want to do. So it does not matter if my balance is 15m or 15b. It makes no difference as I am not spending it on anything. So money has long since stopped being a reason to play.

Instead, I...

• Follow the plot and see if there is any way I can influence it via my actions
  • Work on the BGS to change the political landscape of the bubble
  • Work of the BGS to maintain the position of the three player factions I am part of, including my own
  • Involve myself in the many mysteries in the game (Thargoids, Guardians, Formidine Rift etc)
  • Look for undiscovered things both in and around the bubble (Generation ships, research sites) and far afield (part of exploration)
  • Exploration for the fun of it. Visiting famous places and looking for some of the hidden things I hope FDEV put out there

So forget money. You have done that. Now discover the rest of the game and give yourself new reasons to play.

No, it is the dev's fault because they allowed such disparity in rewards in the first place. Humans will just go for the path of least resistance.

It is also the devs fault because they didn't include any compelling reasons to do anything in this game other than credits. The only exception would be missions to unlock the engineers, but there are no missions that offer anything unique, or an activity that is actually fun and engaging.

My recommendation, stop blaming youself, and wait for the devs to complete the game. Play something fun in the meantime.

If it is truly all the fault of the devs, (though I don't for a moment think they do not share the blame) then how come the real role players amongst us still manage to resist the temptation and still play within the character we create?

I don't smuggle, I don't pirate, I don't deal in *slaves nor narcotics nor illicit weapons.
I don't deal with black markets nor terrorists.

Because of this, I can't unlock most of the engineers. It puts me at a disadvantage without a self nerf.

I don't employ exploits.
I don't pledge to a PP power just to get their special weapon, and then betray them for the next.

Because of this I have no special weapons and without a self nerf have more challenge.

I don't rush to get King/Admiral in a week to fly a cutter or a corvette.
I made money instead in exploration and trade, and so fly an Anaconda, a Python etc with a few rebuys.

I have role played this game for years, and have almost a billion. If I'd used exploits, I'd have multiple billions.

The game is not at fault here.
It is possible yes to complete every challenge and get every ship, every weapon in a few weeks and engineer them all to a PvP meta.

But those who play that game are not playing elite: dangerous.
They are in the game, but they are not playing.
They just skirt the limits of what's allowed
Exploiting the fact that FDev didn't foresee this kind of play because as a games company they lack experience.

They rush to get what they consider "end game ships" in the shortest time, and to those who play the game as designed, they say "git gud".

It is no wonder they claim there is nothing to do.
They aren't playing elite, they are playing Dark Souls in spaceships and most of them would have better spent their money in Eve.

But there is hope. More if FDev reset the galaxy after balancing.
The game was meant to be a 10 year climb to be elite, the best.
What use is spending on any game if you always take the shortest, easiest path to the end?

I have a confession to make: I was grinding hard to become Duke and buy me a Cutter. I did it but almost lost my interest in the game. I recovered and enjoy it now. I went twice to Quince and tried to grind again. Could not do it again. Never again. Too much things to do in the galaxy.

Reset your account.

Seriously. This will probably fix things. And this time around, don't do quince. Or any other weird superfast moneymaker that appears. It clearly killed your enjoyment.

I have created this account to tell me tale and post a warning to Elite Dangerous players!

I have now stopped playing this superb game but it is NOT the devs fault or the games, it is MY fault and my fault alone.. BEWARE!

I bought the game on the PS4 launch day,

Stopped reading right here. Found your mistake.

If it is truly all the fault of the devs, (though I don't for a moment think they do not share the blame) then how come the real role players amongst us still manage to resist the temptation and still play within the character we create?

I don't smuggle, I don't pirate, I don't deal in *slaves nor narcotics nor illicit weapons.
I don't deal with black markets nor terrorists.

Because of this, I can't unlock most of the engineers. It puts me at a disadvantage without a self nerf.

I don't employ exploits.
I don't pledge to a PP power just to get their special weapon, and then betray them for the next.

Because of this I have no special weapons and without a self nerf have more challenge.

I don't rush to get King/Admiral in a week to fly a cutter or a corvette.
I made money instead in exploration and trade, and so fly an Anaconda, a Python etc with a few rebuys.

I have role played this game for years, and have almost a billion. If I'd used exploits, I'd have multiple billions.

The game is not at fault here.
It is possible yes to complete every challenge and get every ship, every weapon in a few weeks and engineer them all to a PvP meta.

But those who play that game are not playing elite: dangerous.
They are in the game, but they are not playing.
They just skirt the limits of what's allowed
Exploiting the fact that FDev didn't foresee this kind of play because as a games company they lack experience.

They rush to get what they consider "end game ships" in the shortest time, and to those who play the game as designed, they say "git gud".

It is no wonder they claim there is nothing to do.
They aren't playing elite, they are playing Dark Souls in spaceships and most of them would have better spent their money in Eve.

But there is hope. More if FDev reset the galaxy after balancing.
The game was meant to be a 10 year climb to be elite, the best.
What use is spending on any game if you always take the shortest, easiest path to the end?

Here is the thing, a game should be fun even to min maxers, not only to those who self restrict and use unbelievable amounts of mental gymnastics to see more than the game actually offers.

I RP myself, I'm imperial, I dont have any single rank in the federation, have never touched any of their ships, by the time I tried Quince, I already had a fully engineered Cutter that I earned with "legitimate" means. Still, once you get everything you want, you realize there is nothing to the game other than that, no fun gameplay that gives you satisfaction unless you try really hard.

I'm currently playing Starcraft Remastered, despite having completed that game so many times back in the day, and I still find it fun, even if I'm not roleplaying, just because doing stuff right feels satisfying, I don't need rewards or anything to buy or progress towards, but the gameplay itself.

Can't say the same thing about Elite: Dangerous, its just braindead repetition of tasks without much engagement, other than press a button and go AFK for 2 minutes, no challenges, no puzzles (and I don't mean the crazy "put this audio file in x program and solve this weird glypf thing" type of puzzle) I mean the "how do I beat this mission" type of puzzle.

Last edited:
Im Elite in Exploration & Trade but Mostly Harmless in pewpew. With 3 years playing by Xmas & 47+ weeks on my game clock.

While Iv not done the 'Quince' thing, in fact I dont think Iv ever been there, I have done mission grinding to get my Corvette & Cutter & Iv done the Ram Tah Guardians mission many, many time - though not since it became bug free!
With billions in the bank & all the ships I want, Im still enjoying the game.

I returned from a second trip to Beagle Point about a month ago & Iv found that since returning & visiting a couple of the Alien sites & doing the Alien system map thing, Im now really just hovering around the Maia region, waiting for 2.4 to land & see what it has to offer. I'm not putting the hours in that I normally do, because I can't set myself goals until 2.4 hits.
If it doesn't offer much for me then I'll plan another trip & go off exploring.

The thing with Elite is that there's no end game. You have to set yourself goal after goal to keep yourself interested.

A famous and very smart man said once:

[video=youtube;u_aLESDql1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aLESDql1U[/video]

Well, he may have said it more than once. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re the OP, sorry you lost interest. Rest up and re-set. :)

Agree with the sentiment of the posts in this thread. Your OP is one of the reasons I don't use places like Quince and limit my use of external tools. Want to keep ED challenging and interesting. It's the journey in ED for me rather than the destination.

o7 and hope to see you back.

Last edited:
Is Quince really that profitable?

I had a look on my galaxy map and it is very very far from where I currently am, if it's really the gold mine you claim to be, what would be a good ship and load out to take full advantage of what's there?

LMFAO!!! i farmed SOTHIS back when it was a thing..

i got a corvette, Anaconda , ASP explorer and Python all A graded... every thing i need!!

this game is STALE as Hell.. NOTHING TO DO!!!!

Nope, not a shred of irony there.

Last edited:
So you only played ED to make money? You made some easy money in Quince (which may change soon) but not else where and after all of this you quit?

What about the rest of the game? The exploring the adventure? You played one part of a multifaceted game and you quit in disappointment? Seriously.

Well good luck on your next, quick game.

Chief

sollisb

Banned
Some players treat E.D. as a sim, some as a game, some as a plaything. And that's perfectly fine.

The problem is, E.D. is none of those things in my opinion. It's a story. My story, your story.

I have 2 accounts, and I've already done a reset that has Elite Combat. SInce then I restarted and am back at Elite combat and 1 rank from Exp and trade. I also used Quince, and made about 500m. I make no bones about it, I don't care what others thinks of my playstyle, it's my playtime.

Quince can be really bad for newcomers to E.D. because they din't understand it's a story you make yourself. They think there's a 'I won E.D.' ship decal or something, and there isn't.

Without the self-made story, E.D. is nothing. It's boring as hell. Everything is the same thing repeated ad-infinitum with a bucketful of dice thrown in.

I don't agree with the 'We played it this way, so should you' lark. I play my way, in my time. Quince is great for getting credits, but really bad if you think those credits are what's going to make your story, because sadly, credits are only a means to an end.

I have every ship I desire, and can afford to buy my fleet multiple times over. But my story is one of logging in and doing whatever I please, my way. I'm not tied to FDev's or braben's story or even their vision. I'm bound to my own, and the credits just made it a lot easier to write it.

The story is what you create, E.D. is just the pen..

Between that and exploits, I get more and more convinced that a galactic reset wouldn't be better for all of us.

Talk for you, I made my money through "honest" work and never used these easy ways. So feel free to delete your save if you think a reset is needed.

Top Bottom