Static POI Exploration Fix

By now we're all aware of the bug around how you scan one POI, say, a Thargoid Barnacle, which subsequently reveals all POI in that system when you get within 1,000Ls until you log out.

Some pre-amble... if you already know the score or don't care, skip this bit. tl;dr Exploration is pretty pants, and this bug makes it great.

Frankly, POI hunting for things like Barnacles, Ancient Ruins, Shipwrecks and the like is implemented fairly terribly. Some of the issues are:
- The search area is literally massive. You could spend years combing the surface of all the planets in a single system for static POIs and find nothing.
- There no feedback to indicate there's even something to be found. The only way to guarantee there's something to be found is to literally comb the entire planet.

A related issue is people tend not to scan low-value bodies in the game. Things like small icy worlds and the like, or all the landable moons of a nearby gas giant.

With this bug, while it doesn't help find POIs in new systems, it really invigorated this aspect of the game. I wanted to go out and find things, started scanning all the bodies because I needed to get within 1,000Ls to see if there were POIs, even when a body might be 400,000Ls away. And then, if there was nothing, well, I came all that way, so i might as well scan the bodies here too! All things given, even though it's a great bug, and the way it works is a bit daft, it's actually made some pretty great improvements to exploration.

So how to fix this? It's pretty easy, and it can be done pretty much already, with existing game mechanics around:
- Making everything appear as "Unexplored" within 100Ls (rather than 1,000Ls)
- Unexplored systems with planetary colonies, and
- The mechanic that "records" the POI to your player (i.e you scan a barnacle, and it appears on your Navigation tab as "Thargoid Barnacle" forever)

Step 1. Make them work like unexplored systems with planetary colonies.

If you don't know, planetary bases don't appear as "explored" on the scanner, if you haven't scanned the planet.

Take this station orbiting a planet with surface colonies. We're just using the station as an identifier here.

0SfUCQC.png

On the nav panel this looks like this:
1bCqCPT.png

Once we've scanned the planet, it looks like this:
jnQPJ07.png

... with Paez Holdings and Sturgeon's Inheritance now revealed.

Now, the fix could be as simple as that. You scan a planet, and those "unexplored" POI become Thargoid Barnacle, Ancient Ruin, whatever it is. Maybe they only become anything but "Unexplored" only if you have a Detailed Surface Scanner (Whoa! A use for that besides increasing credit income!). However, I'd push it one step further with...

Step 2. Make all POI appears within 100Ls only

It'd be pretty easy to look at the bodies in a system, notice things with unexplored "moons" where the map show no moons or a different number of them, and single out those for scanning. So lets turn it up a notch by making them appear only within 100Ls, in the same way that current discovered POI only appear within 1,000Ls

Firstly, reason for 100 and not 1,000 is that most landable planetary bodies scan between 5-100Ls, depending on their size. We could make it only appear when the body is within scanning range, but KISS. This straight away gives people a reason to get close enough to scan those worthless icy bodies that isn't tied to credit value. Again, if you're there, you might as well scan them.

But this also "obfuscates" the POI better. We don't want everything to be visible when you get to a system, there needs to be *some* effort.

Step 3 (optional) only reveal the actual name of the "unexplored" POI once you've landed and scanned something.

If the DSS reveals the unexplored POIs for what they are (which makes an amount of sense), then it's job done, move on to the next planet. By making them remain unexplored til you make landfall and scan something, it's adding yet another layer to the activity... a reason to go landing on random planets out in the black.

So now we have a staged exploration activity, with feedback throughout the process.

Phase 1: Survey the system for bodies, and go within 100Ls scanning range of bodies to get feedback on whether there's something to be found or not
Phase 2: Get a DSS scan of the planet to identify the POIs, or leave them as unexplored and then;
Phase 3: Make planetfall to investigate POIs further.

This could be expanded to also include the various flora, fumeroles and geysers we now get on planets.

Having done this last night in a large system, it took a few hours to investigate and mark all POI using the existing bug. This is very, very far from a "reveal everything because i'm impatient" change and comes with many benefits:
- Gives reason to fly out to all bodies in a system, if you're inclined to hunt for surface POI
- Gives real feedback on whether there's something to be found or not
- Makes exploration that little bit more interactive.
- Gets us away from the weird ways we've been finding POI before, such as "Timing Lag" for extra assets being loaded, pinpointing sites via CTD from bugs or other weird issues.

The best bit of this though, it uses mechanics and triggers that already exist in the game.

Last edited:
As a person who combed almost entire planet which took me about 3 weeks with some help from fellow pilots I would welcome something that will make it fun to play instead of I Will Never Do It Again thing which it is now for me, so I find your idea of 100ls reveal worth having a good look at.
The only issue I see it converts a big achievement of actually finding something to just simple fact that you did visit the system and flew around, but I am OK with that :)

cheers.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that, whether planetary objects are Static/Persistent (fumeroles, barnacles) or Procedural Generated (non-permanent settlements & structures, salvage sites), we need exploration mechanics that makes the finding of them far, far less of a chore......& which also allows the objects to act in a more consistent manner (in the case of Procedural Generated objects). Our scanners should-depending on their quality-be able to resolve a relatively small "Search Zone", with a strongly delineated central point, which is much easier to search out-using our eyes and/or our SRV scanners-than trying to comb entire planets.

The only issue I see it converts a big achievement of actually finding something to just simple fact that you did visited the system and flew around, but I am OK with that :)

cheers.

Yeah, that is a potential bone of contention. There's no denying that for some people, exploration really is pursuing interesting things that you have no idea exist out there. And for truly unique things (e.g Raxxla?) it could still be the case that they don't show up...

In fairness, things have also gotten a lot better. We now have:
- The "Unregistered Beacons" which are visible in space much like the mechanics above, which then lead us to specific locations on planets
- The Thargoid Structures, and using the Links and Thargoid Device signals to pinpoint new structures
- Guardian ruin sites are visible by default within 1000Ls, thanks (possibly) to players finishing the Ram Tah mission (though as mentioned, that was only through bug exploitation)
- Tip Offs by running lots of missions for a faction, leading to procedurally generated sites for a bonus.

These are other systems that *could* be used in conjunction with this to conceal *really* secret stuff that could be exempt to the system I've described. But the above mechanics are quite circumstantial and not generic, and would probably require significant effort to maintain for all content in the game.

But as we're finding, things like barnacles are present in their dozens in many systems, and most go undiscovered because there's no lead-in discovering them through natural gameplay, and that's really what's missing. Out in the black, there's not much reason to go to the surface of a planet other than to get some happy snaps and leave again. If that planet held something interesting, you'd never know, and that's time spent developing content that simply never gets experienced.

As a person who combed almost entire planet which took me about 3 weeks with some help from fellow pilots I would welcome something that will make it fun to play instead of I Will Never Do It Again thing which it is now for me, so I find your idea of 100ls reveal worth having a good look at.
The only issue I see it converts a big achievement of actually finding something to just simple fact that you did visited the system and flew around, but I am OK with that :)

cheers.

I think it is possible to have a system that strikes a balance between being difficult enough that it is still an achievement when you find it, but simple enough that even more casual explorers can engage with the mechanics.

For the record, I'd love to see some objects that prevent definitive scanning, except from, say, under 100m away.

Yeah, that is a potential bone of contention. There's no denying that for some people, exploration really is pursuing interesting things that you have no idea exist out there. And for truly unique things (e.g Raxxla?) it could still be the case that they don't show up...

In fairness, things have also gotten a lot better. We now have:
- The "Unregistered Beacons" which are visible in space much like the mechanics above, which then lead us to specific locations on planets
- The Thargoid Structures, and using the Links and Thargoid Device signals to pinpoint new structures
- Guardian ruin sites are visible by default within 1000Ls, thanks (possibly) to players finishing the Ram Tah mission (though as mentioned, that was only through bug exploitation)
- Tip Offs by running lots of missions for a faction, leading to procedurally generated sites for a bonus.

These are other systems that *could* be used in conjunction with this to conceal *really* secret stuff that could be exempt to the system I've described. But the above mechanics are quite circumstantial and not generic, and would probably require significant effort to maintain for all content in the game.

But as we're finding, things like barnacles are present in their dozens in many systems, and most go undiscovered because there's no lead-in discovering them through natural gameplay, and that's really what's missing. Out in the black, there's not much reason to go to the surface of a planet other than to get some happy snaps and leave again. If that planet held something interesting, you'd never know, and that's time spent developing content that simply never gets experienced.

Don't forget, JManis, that Sandy has dropped a few hints around the forums that suggest the exploration mechanics could be getting a major overhaul. He has mentioned scrapping the "Infinite Honk then fly right up to each unknown object" system in favour of something more active & engaging.

Hopefully we will hear more on that front over the weekend.

Don't forget, JManis, that Sandy has dropped a few hints around the forums that suggest the exploration mechanics could be getting a major overhaul. He has mentioned scrapping the "Infinite Honk then fly right up to each unknown object" system in favour of something more active & engaging.

Hopefully we will hear more on that front over the weekend.

Totally agree. Whatever they have in store for that, well, I hope it makes things better.

I don't like "armchair devving", and although any change is a change, I've tried to keep the suggestion inline with existing mechanics we can observe in the game already. If a ground-up rework is actively in the works, this won't be applicable then :)

I am pretty sure we will not get any information about what comes past 2.4 , so do not build your hopes up :)

I do not expect any major changes in mechanics, probably all development will be focused on Thargoids for a while and I can understand that. But it makes sense to put this suggestions here, someone can listen.

BTW Guardian Ruins are visible from any distance in the system, just not on navigation panel. It does make it easier, but still you can spend a day and find only one site (I know :) ) so I do not consider it to be an exploit.

Last edited:
It has been a subject on the forums for a while now, I agree both scanning planets,poi and lon-lat coordinates all need a major overhaul. However as far as finding things on planets yes we need a simple system scan the planet markers are shown so we can at least fly and land as close as we can because less we not forget it's a grind right now finding planets wrecks, poi, buildings etc so say nothing about the actual getting through the planet orb cruise glide thing etc, as I have always mentioned to frontier, You have this hug galaxy but it's so empty lets fill it up and create immersion for all.

How about making it so that you need a combination of DSS and Xeno scanner to discover unknown signitures on planets for you to then go down and do eyeball/scan to confirm what it is.

Its pretty ridiculous that our scanners can't pick up all this exotic biomass on planets which are infested with barnicals and/or megastructures. Especially after we have already been too and scanned so many of these sites already, surely we have the relevant data to identify exotic biomatter on a planet when we get a detailed breakdown of all the material composition within the planet.

I'd love to go out exploring and finding sites myself. But with the way exploration works atm, i can't bring myself to spend countless days flying around god knows how many planets until i potentially, MAYBE, find the preverbial needle in the haystack.
Surely with our current tech we can get some 'magnets' to make the search for these pesky needles easier?

I am pretty sure we will not get any information about what comes past 2.4 , so do not build your hopes up :)

I do not expect any major changes in mechanics, probably all development will be focused on Thargoids for a while and I can understand that. But it makes sense to put this suggestions here, someone can listen.

BTW Guardian Ruins are visible from any distance in the system, just not on navigation panel. It does make it easier, but still you can spend a day and find only one site (I know :) ) so I do not consider it to be an exploit.

This would seem to say otherwise-from the FX schedule.

Elite Dangerous: The Year Ahead

Looking forward to the next year in the game’s development, Senior Community Manager Edward talks to Elite Dangerous’ Lead Designer Sandro Sammarco, Game Director Laurence Oldham, and Art Director Chris Gregory.

Well it is not first time when I am dead wrong :)

Out of curiosity how difficult it is to find this first barnacle in the new system? You need to eyeball it old fashion way?

Yup. And it's hard. You can't see them in supercruise like Thargoid sites, ruins or the barnie forest, and you can only really see them from 5km or less above the surface.

Yup. And it's hard. You can't see them in supercruise like Thargoid sites, ruins or the barnie forest, and you can only really see them from 5km or less above the surface.

I can imagine. I found quite a lot of brain trees, but you can tell where will they be, so the only difficult task is to find right candidate, once you got the right body, takes 5 minutes to find the trees. With barnacles I am not even trying to find them without any additional clues, maybe there is CG planned that will make it easier.

OP, I have an even better suggestion:

How about an actual Planetary Surface Scanner that can scan for and produce heatmaps of the concentration of selected elements, artificial structures, power, and so forth? You could then place waypoints on the interesting parts on a map and fly right down to them. Elements would still spawn randomly in the rough area but POIs like buildings and crashed ships and such would and should be detectable from orbit, so you can decide to go down and investigate.

This could then be an entire new station for multicrew so the pilot can fly around while his crewmate scans.

OP, I have an even better suggestion:

We can all but hope, the thing with OP is that his idea requires much less effort from developers and can be realistically implemented. I had some simple ideas about geysers few months ago, but I do not think devs are interested in improving these unfortunately :)

Having multicrew station for planetary scan is a great idea, I would love to see it, but.......

Top Bottom