INRA Base Discoveries

I really don't get why FD goes through the effort to make all this content, even including voice acting, and then hides it away where nobody will ever find it using solely in-game means. 99% of players will never even know it's there. Most of the rest will just watch on Youtube.

One of the biggest complaints about the game is the lack of "stuff" and depth... adding cool lore and unique sites is a great way to fill that, but only if you can actually find it!

It's bizarre and makes no sense to me.
Exactly what I feel. Why can't they do something like put in missions that would lead us to the general area of these things. It would add to the narrative of the game instead of people having to find out this stuff in forums or youtube. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work everyone in the forums and youtube does to find these things and I actually am going to these areas now that my ships are well outfitted and engineered now but I think it just lessens the fun of it to discover this stuff in forums and youtube.

Hell, I think if Galnet actually had a bigger icon in the station screen when we dock, then they could also use that as a way to lead us to these things as well. Hell, maybe even allow us to access Galnet in our ships or have a voiced broadcast that plays once as we dock (unless we disable it) or are in our ship.

Last edited:
Exactly what I feel. Why can't they do something like put in missions that would lead us to the general area of these things. It would add to the narrative of the game instead of people having to find out this stuff in forums or youtube. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work everyone in the forums and youtube does to find these things and I actually am going to these areas now that my ships are well outfitted and engineered now but I think it just lessens the fun of it to discover this stuff in forums and youtube.

Hell, I think if Galnet actually had a bigger icon in the station screen when we dock, then they could also use that as a way to lead us to these things as well. Hell, maybe even allow us to access Galnet in our ships or have a voiced broadcast that plays once as we dock (unless we disable it) or are in our ship.

Funny you should say that... [video=youtube;P7c5JCigp-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c5JCigp-U[/video]

It was all skybox matching at first.

IMPORTANT NOTE : I have literally ZERO idea about how the system/planet was found. I just joined Alex in voice who straight told me about CJ's lead, that is all. The skybox match I tried was strictly done once in orbit of the planet.

Really an hit and miss, I circled around the planet several times until I thought of being close enough. Glided down to the surface, straight toward the canyon that was under me. From there just following the canyon's general direction; there was an awful lot of surface POIs on my radar in that area, I aimed at them at first but was only finding System Defense Force vessels every single time, which led me into a circling chase of about 50kms in radius, until I had the Milky Way's bright light contrasting with the surface on the screen (not even talking about the ambient occlusion near fat rocks on the ground that let you think you found something, the deception every time :D).
There was an object near a few rocky ridges that was creating some aliasing with the heavy contrast right in the middle, so I headed there, and bam.

I realized long afterward that it wasn't the same as the trailer, I was so focused on the background that I entirely forgot to compare.

Of note, I spent a few thousand hours licking planetary surfaces back during the CoR exploration CG in search for the bases, so had a fair few ideas of how to "enhance" the yoghurting experience already :D

-----

About the above : Reduce all your graphic settings to the absolute minimum (planets looks like yoghurt at this stage, hence the term), try to find "contrasty" lighting conditions, and something I like doing : licking the surface upside down with the camera angled straight up your head

I think this really shows that FD are missing out on a lot of potential gameplay here.

This sounds... pretty awful to do, over such a huge area.

Now, I'm not saying gameplay wasn't there for this, as I've previously found actual in game clues to things, often they are overly obfuscated for really, quite little reason when the actual thing you are finding has such a small consequence, but sometimes it seems to work.

I went to this place tonight, and the audio logs are nice, I love that FD are adding this stuff into the game it's desperately needed it.

I really do feel like Q4 is way too late to be adding the new exploration tools though, when things like this (and I suspect many many others) are hidden out there for the narrative of 2.4, and they are still relying on.... lowering graphics settings, flying upside down, even assuming you have the right planet (did the other planets even get looked at first? this is one hell of a fast find) it's pretty silly as the way to find things in the game.

At least they do have some mechanics now, to at least lead you to systems, and planets, via listening posts, local herald news, and various installations/megaships etc, via the data link scanner, but I feel like once your at the planet, unless the hints have given you direct co-ordinates, it's a little bit mental to manually scan the surface by eye alone.

Well done for finding it, however you managed it, some people have insinuated game files/hacking etc, I wouldn't accuse people of that, but for me, honestly, if someone DID use that method, I'd count it as just as, if not MORE valid than using the in game methods, because it's likely less tedious, possibly more fun to do that, than lowest settings upside down planet surface scouring... :)

INRA bases is cool though, and it was nice to get the audio logs. I just checked the location here, and went there myself without spoiling the logs, and would advise others to do that whenever these things come up (unless you have any lead yourself! dont want to spoil one you actually managed to follow the micrscopic bread crumbs to!)

o7 commanders

Yes Maaam!
Networking
As a mean,
More spoiler inbound,
Makes the Hype :
After burning elites and Deus Ex Machina
Remains anarchics politics ad vita
Osiris New Dawn, A. Ringess, J. Weaver
And the Fibonacci number,
Please protect us ever
Against the bad INRA fever.

Cheers...fly safe (and wise?) commanders

anonymous_pilot

I think it deserve to search. Even in the systems on the vicinity.
There is probably no listening post on Hermitage system itself, as it the place we found the base. But who knows, maybe there is some around out there.
Anyway I'm done now. Gonna go to sleep and be right back there tomorow (when RL will freeing me ^^)

I was out doing this tonight, and probably have time to do a bit more. Nothing so far.

One interesting discovery... I found a Listening Post message which I tracked down to a Generation Ship I had no idea was there (I checked, others already found it, but a new discovery for me).

[h=2]BEYOND THE EDGE. A MILITARY BASE??[/h][FONT=&quot]M.C.S[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reports from our undercover investigator continue with the revelations that Commander Mic Turner, the ill-fated explorer, had unquestionably visited an uncharted system North of the Edge shortly before the destruction of the ship 'Turner's Quest'.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is alleged that there is a system, or set of systems that have been used as a Military Research Base in the recent past by the Research Arm of INRA, (the Intergalactic Naval Reserve Arm - an undercover unit drawn from the Elite pilots of both the Federal and the Imperial Navies). The system is said to be currently uninhabited but there is, allegedly, a high degree of military surveillance maintained in the area- including a number of Military Defence Satellites.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If this is the case, it is entirely possible that 'Turner's Quest' was destroyed by either one of the Satellites or by the attack wing of INRA itself - working under the orders of one or other High Command. This would be the ultimate irony: Turner's life was devoted to exploration for both the Federation and the Empire and Mic Turner was effectively the only contemporary Commander to be genuinely trusted by both sides while being in the pay of neither. To have him die by the orders of both would not only be tragic, it would also represent a major breach of the intergalactic Law and the New Rossyth Shipyard management would be well advised to sue for full reparation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is said that Argent does indeed intend to commission a private investigation into the sudden and, to some people inadequately explained, death of an honoured friend.

[/FONT]

found this from first encounter journals. any way we can define the northern edge?

This honestly has so much painful truth to it...

Ever since powerplay 1.3, at the least, you can access the galnet via the left panel where the "powers" are. Bottom left, I forget which tab. And at least I think it came out with 1.3.

I dunno. I haven't really played much in years because there's not much motivation to bother. I just wanted to help a cmdr out

How do you know there wasn't some missions that most/all of us ignored? There might have been some missions that got overlooked because it wasn't "paying enough", and as we all know people must have their credits. ;)

If there is/was a mission or listening post that pointed to this, it apparently wasn't obvious enough as that wasn't how it was found. So you could still argue it wasn't a great gameplay experience.
TBH I'm still not clear on how exactly the particular system and planet was identified.

This honestly has so much painful truth to it...

Ever since powerplay 1.3, at the least, you can access the galnet via the left panel where the "powers" are. Bottom left, I forget which tab. And at least I think it came out with 1.3.

I dunno. I haven't really played much in years because there's not much motivation to bother. I just wanted to help a cmdr out

Seriously? Galnet is accessible when not docked? I honestly didn't ever notice that!

If it's listed as a hazard, is it fair to assume it's hazardous to Humans?

In the old days it was potentially hazardous to any form of plastic equipment. It would not harm humans directly, but it could destroy vital equipment very rapidly.

If I remember correctly, it was mostly dormant but had infrequent viral phases of plastic munching.

Be careful, your ship may be infected. :D

found this from first encounter journals. any way we can define the northern edge?

In FE2 and FFE, Polaris was north. There was basically a line from Achenar(south) -> Sol -> Alioth(North) -> Polaris(far north).

The Northern edge was between Alioth and Polaris, quite close to Alioth.

This geometry does not fit with the new galaxy, as the old one was severely flattened and skewed. It's more or less impossible to determine any location from the old galaxy.

One of my biggest issues with the game at the moment. Some breadcrumb quests to point us in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom