System map overhaul needed

Why is the system map not like the galaxy map? I want to manipulate it from any angle and see the exact positions of every object. That way I can plot a route for surface scanning that passes the most planets in a line. I don't like that the system maps shows the distance of the planets from the star but I cannot see my relative exposition to them. What do you guys think?

Orrery map is much desired feature yet to be implemented by FD. Recent thread disappointed us a bit with Dale saying it is not on map for Beyond :( It is quite a work to implement and FD didn't saw much improvement.

However people have mentioned lot of reasons why it would be good to have orrery. Just add voice for it and hopefully devs will notice.

Yep it's another Orrery Map please thread.
[up][up][up][up]

As much as needed :) We need 'goats request Orrery map' drive on Twitter and elsewhere :)

I was explaining something to do with basic orbital mechanics to my son the other day (tidal locking) and used the system map to demonstrate. He had no problem understanding the view.

If you want to see an orrery view you can simply use SuperCruise. It's accurately scaled too, and you can move your PoV anywhere in it ;)

If you want to see an orrery view you can simply use SuperCruise. It's accurately scaled too, and you can move your PoV anywhere in it ;)
I'm assuming you mean through the camera suite?
I've never tried. Is it actually possible to zoom out enough to get a more or less top-down view of a system?

I've never tried. Is it actually possible to zoom out enough to get a more or less top-down view of a system?

Just flying my ship around works for me ;)

An Orrery view would not accurately represent distance to scale, but would need to attempt to display the orbital paths of every body in what could be a very complex system.

The current system view conveys that information, only distance to a secondary star is not included. I can accurately gauge where in the system I am by looking out the window.

I think you missed point and maybe the sarcasm. 😏
If you fly north/south of orbital plain, you'll get a lovely top down view of all the planets in a system.
You just might have to fly 100+LS to see it 😁

Last edited:
I think you missed point and maybe the sarcasm. 
If you fly north/south of orbital plain, you'll get a lovely top down view of all the planets in a system.
You just might have to fly 100+LS to see it 
buzzzzzzzz......
yup, apparently that one went right over my head. :eek:

And you have it already, just turn orbital lines on.

No, that is not an orrey map. I would have to fly 100-200 ly up and look down to get a rough indication of what is the best route to scan planets which is a huge waste time.

What I would like is an orrey map (can be toggled to 2D like we have it know for those that don't want it) that we can place staged way markers down so I can plot my route in the most efficient way possible through the system.

Also it can be used for a lot more stuff. Look at this for an example of what you could do with an orrey map:

https://imgur.com/a/l1wBF

Last edited:
I still remember this one amazing concept art of 3d system map, but I`m losing my hope. Current 2d map is usable yeah but its sooo.... old time... placeholder like. Definitely would like to see overhauled 3d version yes.

Honestly, I'm not so sure I'd actually like a 3d Orrey style map. I did see some of the old concept images, and to be honest, they seem overly complicated, cluttered and busy.
Sometimes newer and prettier isn't really better - just look at Windows 7, 8 and 10.

Honestly, I'm not so sure I'd actually like a 3d Orrey style map. I did see some of the old concept images, and to be honest, they seem overly complicated, cluttered and busy.
Sometimes newer and prettier isn't really better - just look at Windows 7, 8 and 10.

I have to agree.
I'm not a huge fan of glitter over functionality. For the same reason I prefer the station menu over some kind of "hub" (leg worshipers keep suggesting it) where one would run around, conducting business. Tidy menus and schematic maps are my thing.

I have to agree.
I'm not a huge fan of glitter over functionality. For the same reason I prefer the station menu over some kind of "hub" (leg worshipers keep suggesting it) where one would run around, conducting business. Tidy menus and schematic maps are my thing.

I wouldn't mind a stroll through a station to visit the local job board, or a hike to the local Legal Office to turn in my bounty claims, as long as I don't need a Prima Guide sized book of maps to find them, or a half-hour to wander my way there. But a short little hike across the landing pad and a Left-Right-Straight Ahead to get to what I need wouldn't be so bad. It's not the concept, it's How It Would Be Implemented that is worthy of concern.

Endure and Suffer might be part of British Culture, but us non-Brits... we neither get it nor want it. ;-)

I wouldn't mind a stroll through a station to visit the local job board, or a hike to the local Legal Office to turn in my bounty claims, as long as I don't need a Prima Guide sized book of maps to find them, or a half-hour to wander my way there. But a short little hike across the landing pad and a Left-Right-Straight Ahead to get to what I need wouldn't be so bad. It's not the concept, it's How It Would Be Implemented that is worthy of concern.

Endure and Suffer might be part of British Culture, but us non-Brits... we neither get it nor want it. ;-)

I wouldn't mind a stroll either. But only as an option next to the quick menu. When I feel like it. Otherwise, no matter how short a walk it would be, it would become annoying.

I'd kill for the Orrery Map. I'd gladly trade CQC, Power Play, and Multicrew just to have the Orrery Map. It's a feature I would use constantly, every single time I play the game. I wish Frontier felt it was important too.

Top Bottom