Listening post/UCB checklist

Please pm me with details of any new LP/UCB discoveries so I can add to the sheet!

I thought I remembered a thread for Listening Posts but can't find it on a forum search. I think we should have a dedicated thread & the Exploration area seemed to be most apt since Listening Post or UCB discoveries may provide log information relevant to any aspect of the ED puzzleverse- alien activities, missing crew, pirate hoards, abandoned settlements/ships/SRV, scurrilous activities by unnamed companies, Thargoid Watch (Projects Equinox and Thunderchild- see GCS Sarasvati) etc.

I've created an Excel spreadsheet of the LP and UCB data known so far, based on the Canonn infobase. This sheet is in no way intended to replace the Canonn pages; this sheet has more detail & is intended to support intelligence analysis of where LPs may be, checking for any sign of correlation between detected activities, and is alphabetically ordered to assist pilots during their explorations to quickly identify whether an LP or UCB is a new find.

See the Canonn UCB page for explanation of Number Station message decoding or nonograms!

I've locked this as the master spreadsheet but it should be viewable and copiable for your own purposes. I'll update with any new findings after verification.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Czj1J7kmgNZE1uMC10bW1aWG8

spreadsheet updates: 13Nov2017 (brought up to date with Canonn pages, moved UCBs to second worksheet, alphabetically sorted & populated with full system data)
14Nov 2017 - added summary of LP & UCB locations as a third sheet
19Nov2017- added Celaeno LP pointing to wrecked ship & Basilisk 'goid Interceptor in Electra
20Nov2017 - corrected target of Unelinte UCB
25Nov2017 - added Ain & HIP 8887 UCBs (targets are INRA bases)
10Dec2017 - added Cochi UCB

Jorki Rasalas

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks interesting. It's also a good reminder that the bubble can be explored as well. After all, there are at least twenty thousand inhabited systems there, to say nothing about the uninhabited ones - which also have things to be found.

Thanks! Looks interesting. It's also a good reminder that the bubble can be explored as well. After all, there are at least twenty thousand inhabited systems there, to say nothing about the uninhabited ones - which also have things to be found.

Yes indeed. I think there should be much more to find- think we had clues from Salome etc to look around the Old Worlds...and Galcop/INRA was all centred around there.

Dav Stott mentioned on the recent livestream that finding mysterious things in deep space or on the surface of planets is not always down to blind chance and that there are listening posts and number stations in many cases providing the clues needed to find them. It makes you wonder how much is overlooked by players flying around engaged in normal activities running missions etc. and also how well hidden some of those listening posts and number stations must be. This will certainly help to keep track of things! [up]

Dav Stott mentioned on the recent livestream that finding mysterious things in deep space or on the surface of planets is not always down to blind chance and that there are listening posts and number stations in many cases providing the clues needed to find them. It makes you wonder how much is overlooked by players flying around engaged in normal activities running missions etc. and also how well hidden some of those listening posts and number stations must be. This will certainly help to keep track of things! [up]

That was my aim, in particular having visited the Monkey Bar in Jotunheim just a couple of weeks before the LP was discovered out at planet 7 (my excuse is that I was running a couple of missions at the time so didn't think to explore the system). I think FD have put a lot of thought into the lore, INRA, GalCop etc that we are not seeing at all clearly at the moment. I hoped that an analysis of the LPs known to date might clarify some criteria for their placement to help locate them.

I noticed on my Xbox one account a very rare achievement to scan 50 listening posts worth 25 points if I recall. Also how does one find a listening post? Does it appear on the system map or do you have to target locally?

I noticed on my Xbox one account a very rare achievement to scan 50 listening posts worth 25 points if I recall. Also how does one find a listening post? Does it appear on the system map or do you have to target locally?

It will appear in your Nav Panel in the list of local system bodies providing you are within 1000ls of it.

Edit: There are plenty (see my spreadsheet) around the bubble- I recommend you test in a nearby system to check it out. Once you find it you can download the log data with your data scanner.

Unregistered Comms Beacons are similar but broadcast their message at a defined time, usually 15 minutes past, half past, 15 before, or on the hour; they often give their data in a code and say (you need to select it to hear the voice) the numbers/digits in NATO phonetic code- Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta etc. They can also be difficult to make out at times so it's worth recording so you can play back at your leisure, but they usually repeat the message.

Last edited:

Once you get within 1000ls of it, it'll show in your nav panel.

If you want to go see some that are already known there's a few listed here (https://canonn.science/codex/listening-posts/) and comms beacons listed here (https://canonn.science/codex/unregistered-comms-beacons/), but Jorki has the right idea, new listening posts means finding more new and interesting things :D Having a master list to check any new findings against will be great.

Once you get within 1000ls of it, it'll show in your nav panel.

If you want to go see some that are already known there's a few listed here (https://canonn.science/codex/listening-posts/) and comms beacons listed here (https://canonn.science/codex/unregistered-comms-beacons/), but Jorki has the right idea, new listening posts means finding more new and interesting things :D Having a master list to check any new findings against will be great.

Is it worth adding to my LP sheet a second page for UCBs? The alternative could be just to combine them into the LP list & add a new type .

IMO, they're basically the same thing - they both supply clues to finding stuff, it's only how those clues are dished out that differs between LP and UCB's. But, there may be reasons to keep them separate that I'm not seeing?

IMO, they're basically the same thing - they both supply clues to finding stuff, it's only how those clues are dished out that differs between LP and UCB's. But, there may be reasons to keep them separate that I'm not seeing?

If I get time tomorrow I’ll try adding some into the LP sheet to check the fit.

Step 1: ignore a listening post, because it is below 1000ls from the main star, surely it was found already
Step 2: still it could be interesting, let's backtrack and find the system (no success)
Step 3: check this list and none of the systems rings a bell
Step 4: feel stupid

Step 1: ignore a listening post, because it is below 1000ls from the main star, surely it was found already
Step 2: still it could be interesting, let's backtrack and find the system (no success)
Step 3: check this list and none of the systems rings a bell
Step 4: feel stupid

You can look at your journal file (quite easy via EDDiscovery) and with a date and approximate time you could narrow down to a few systems to recheck.

edit: or paste the approx location & journey history & someone will check. I’m currently checking out a 30ly sphere around Lave in case something has been missed, & Canonn are currently organising a sweep within 200ly of Sol.

Last edited:
I've just updated the sheet- added UCBs as a trial measure; these are not yet alphabetically sorted or populated with full system data

give me some feedback please!

I've just updated the sheet- added UCBs as a trial measure; these are not yet alphabetically sorted or populated with full system data

give me some feedback please!

I didn’t get any feedback so today I've added UCBs as a second sheet in my LP spreadsheet, ordered them alphabetically and completed the system data to match the LP sheet. Both sheets now reflect today’s Canonn infobase.

They are most definitely not intended to replace the Canonn pages (& do not attempt to replicate the explanation of UCB number station message decoding or nonograms-see the Canonn pages for that!) but to assist pilots in searching for LPs or UCBs, or in determining quickly if any find is actually new.

let me know of any new finds & I’ll add them to the sheets.

I found one! Got all excited, then realised that I was in a system where people had definitely been recently, and checked your sheet and sure enough it was there. But, it was good there was a place to check :)

I found one! Got all excited, then realised that I was in a system where people had definitely been recently, and checked your sheet and sure enough it was there. But, it was good there was a place to check :)

Ah good, one satisfied customer! ;)

You could check by going to the Canonn page, but I think this sheet is a little quicker & may help in predicting where to search for them. You could even pull out the system name/location columns, print & bluetack to the cockpit dash! :)

Actually, that gives me a thought for an improvement ....

Do you know if listening posts and coms beacons show up in your log?

Not 100% sure, but would expect so-think all scan events are logged but don’t think a long range detection on the nav panel would appear in the log. If you have EDD play around with the Event Filter & I'd be surprised if you can't see the event but don't think the scanned logs would be shown- I use ShadowPlay/Screenshot to capture those.
Just about to upload an update- added a summary page, though it extends out to 3 A4 pages if you want to print it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom