AX Taipan

finally AEGIS is growing a brain cell!!!

Gee, this was only the tactic used by most CMDRs to distract Thargons, makes sense to capitalise on it! so I hope it is outfitted with a single Flak-launcher, or multi cannons at the very lest.

Eager to see it's deployment!

In a sense this is a good addition. But we still need too heavy big ships to do the job.

Quite sad about all our friends in small ships.

But at least things are moving.

finally AEGIS is growing a brain cell!!!

Gee, this was only the tactic used by most CMDRs to distract Thargons, makes sense to capitalise on it! so I hope it is outfitted with a single Flak-launcher, or multi cannons at the very lest.

Eager to see it's deployment!

The galnet article said it'd have AX multicannons, so no flak.

In a sense this is a good addition. But we still need too heavy big ships to do the job.

Quite sad about all our friends in small ships.

But at least things are moving.

Whats wrong with a cobra or viper? Cobra mk4 has almost as much armor as my gunship, no reason small ships can't pull their weight.

No flak and a weapon that only works vs a subsystem that NPCs are forbidden from targeting in order to keep the game's AI on easymode. The AX 1 will either have to break the existing AI rules, or it will be a lemon/dud upon release. And if by some miracle the NPCs can target hearts with MCs, then the fights may end up becoming a simple matter of bringing enough but missiles and keeping your SLF alive.

Imo it would have been much better if the an SLF came with flak cannons. Because that would lead to more balanced encounters where SLF could actually fight back against the Thargons. But maybe the flak SLFs are coming next?

Last edited:
No flak and a weapon that only works vs a subsystem that NPCs are forbidden from targeting in order to keep the game's AI on easymode. The AX 1 will either have to break the existing AI rules, or it will be a lemon/dud upon release. And if by some miracle the NPCs can target hearts with MCs, then the fights may end up becoming a simple matter of bringing enough but missiles and keeping your SLF alive.

I'm, it would have been much better if the an SLF came with flak cannons. Because that would lead to more balanced encounters where SLF could actually fight back against the Thargons. But maybe the flak SLFs are coming next?

So, might it be possible that you throw 4 x AX Missiles (fixed) onto a mothership, plus the flak, and leave that in the hands of an NPC pilot (Honestly, no idea how it'll go, esp with the flak) and leave it to them to hammer the Thargoid with fixed missiles, while you in the fighter target the hearts?

I personally think the NPC pilot will aim the missiles better than me, and probably manouver better than me, so that seems like it could be viable?

Last edited:
It would help with multi-crew. One person flying the mothership, another in the AX fighter and a third manning turreted weapons, perhaps flak. I appreciate that most people currently engage Thargoids in wings, but this would give single ships more of a chance.

Well even if it is unable to target the Heart, it is possible it is effective against Thargons. Multicrew aside, it would be silly to expect AI SLF to kill the Hearts.

While Flak is a Thargon killer, maybe AX-1 MCs can also deal good damage to them + it will do damage to the thargoid itself making exertion faster. Not much but hey...

But all in all, better AX version than a normal one which cant do diddly squat except do some kiting. And also this might be a clue to the next phase of the patch!

Last edited:
So, might it be possible that you throw 4 x AX Missiles (fixed) onto a mothership, plus the flak, and leave that in the hands of an NPC pilot (Honestly, no idea how it'll go, esp with the flak) and leave it to them to hammer the Thargoid with fixed missiles, while you in the fighter target the hearts?

I personally think the NPC pilot will aim the missiles better than me, and probably manouver better than me, so that seems like it could be viable?

The NPC would burn through the missiles when the hearts were active unless you shut off the hardpoints or tell them to stand down. And if you tried to go head to head with a Cyclops in a fighter and get aggro, then the new aiming ability of the Thargoid would rip your little ship to shreds in short order. If you want to test what would happen just send your current SLF against a Thargoid and sit back and watch how long it lasts.

No. The only way this little fighter will be useful with NPCs at the helm is if you are sharing aggro and it can subtarget. The latter will never happen though because scrub combat pilots would call foul if they ever encountered decent AI.

It would help with multi-crew. One person flying the mothership, another in the AX fighter and a third manning turreted weapons, perhaps flak. I appreciate that most people currently engage Thargoids in wings, but this would give single ships more of a chance.

I agree, this AX 1 is purely a multicrew feature. AI can't currently take advantage.

Top Bottom