[Distant Worlds Expedition]The Explorer's Legacy (A suggestion about Lavian Brandy)

Thanks for keeping this going safe travels! I've not said but I've updated the main thread. I think Silence Leigh might transfer her last one over. Not sure where she is at the moment.

Hi Olivia, if I may correct you on your main post: I have the Endurance in my cargo hold, Silence Leigh still carry the Solitude. Just to clear things up.

NP Olivia, i'm not terribly fast at responding to the forum either :) I didn't really think of the Beacon like that but you're right, it does make for a beautiful mirror of sorts.

Right! So time for an update on Achievement's... achievements. Beware, long post! Since my last update I've been playing now and again, carrying Achievement to a number of galatic landmarks. First up, I left the Beacon and headed west toward's Amundsen's Star, which is the most southerly point in the galaxy. The only landable here is another battered dirtball, though it provided Arsenic for a J3 recharge to get home.

HtNddh3.jpg

I'm glad I did because not far away I discovered a rare outer arm Neutron Star, Leech VS-U d2-2. I used the NS to boost jump 200ly west... not realizing just how far apart the stars were there (most where about 70ly apart) - it took a dozen j2 and j3 shots to make it back to plotable areas... I had just enough to make it. Too close!

YTSVfAQ.jpg

At least it was a pretty diversion!

S2QHm5y.jpg

I proceeded to continue west, eventually arriving at the farthest reachable "Real" star in the game, the B giant 3 Geminorum, far above the galactic plain

EN7VVnZ.jpg

While I was there I spent a while thinking. As much as I love the versitility of the Megalight Falcon (my anaconda), the pathetic supercruise speeds along with the poor visibility and difficult landings due to size have gradually made me avoid elite. I decided I'd go back to the bubble and fetch my Distant Worlds Asp X, the It Was Intentional!

So, off I went. First, I crossed Daedalus Crossing and dropped by NGC 1931:

NdBC2ja.jpg

Then I made a detour to the Crab Nebula and its pulsar:

nDMyqGZ.jpg

J7Tn58F.jpg

While I was there I noticed a nearby T-Tauri star had an ECONOMY TYPE listed in galmap. Intrigued, I hopped over, and discovered one of the brand new 2.3 asteroid bases, Station X

LyW8zGa.jpg

Since I had already entered the system without realizing it was now truly inhabited, I decided that this is not 'a bubble' but just 'a frontier outpost' for the sake of the legacy, oops ;) (I did stop and recharge the life support before risking the bubble)

Anyway. I took the legacy to the Monkey Head Nebula:

pW9xUlL.jpg

Then the Jellyfish nebula, where I found another asteroid base, which I had to at least photograph:

F7N9i8C.jpg

After passing 12k today, I stopped and met with Zali "Danger Noodle" Koda, on an attractive little moon with some great canyons:

7W7OwQt.jpg

Finally, just a few minutes ago, I landed on a planet near the Witch's Head Nebula in order to hand the legacy over to my alt for a couple days while I run back to the bubble, grab my AspX, and come back to the same spot to pick it back up for the rest of the spiral!

I'll give another update then :)

~~CMDR May, signing off~~

Last edited:
Thx Olivia! You'll like this post then too!

So, it's been a couple months since i've last checked in. I've been taking a bit of a break from E:D in general, having only played here and there. I'm finally moving again so I decided to check in again!

So last time I noted that I had dropped Achievement off with my alt and went back to the bubble to pick up my Asp, the It Was Intentional! I took care of a few errands whilst I was there, and switched paint on the Megalight Falcon...

qmgSUiW.jpg

cEIQbDv.jpg

I then set off back south at the end of June. I met up with my Alt (Makoto Mai Cirhe) in the Witch Head nebula in her nearly identical Asp, the Ship with No Name. Having obtained Achievement once again, I set off southwards.

ydyMzcs.jpg

Qu0zBaU.jpg

Then I heard the big news - an alien structure with live aliens was discovered! I dashed back to HIP 19026 to take a look. This was before the additional structures were found, and before any secrets or origin details had been unlocked - not for lack of poking about on my part!

hy3FSzQ.jpg

0jTvoX9.jpg

Achievement has once again been in contact with Thargoids...

oqcgVDa.jpg

After tailing alien critters around for a while, I continued south. IRL I took a break for the Great American Eclipse of 2017, simulated below :D

dy92041.jpg

CMDR 2301 joined me for a bit via telepresence to ward off the space madness... for now!

uAHV1c7.jpg

I zipped directly southwards across Daedalus Crossing to the outer arm...

kjA6yLZ.jpg

...Detouring only to vist the POI known as the Twin's Garden, a ELW binary (though they were distant enough to not show up well at the same time)

T0vViBv.jpg

I also discovered a gas giant with 29 light second radius rings!

CU1AG1h.jpg

And, visited the POI known as Celeri Transitu, a metal rich lava world with a .1 day orbit around its parent dwarf.

BEnbxOM.jpg

Near the southern end of the meridian I came across this neat dual binary - B-A and G-K - and decided to sunbathe for a little bit :D

NgXVN4H.jpg

birBFzD.jpg

Finally I stopped at Star's End Depot to fill up on jumponium (the southernmost green system along the meridian) and discovered a strange landscape glitch - these spikes vanished if you get any closer than pictured. Clearly, thargoid doings! (or space madness...)

HjU70Es.jpg

Some other poor explorer crashed under the stars long ago, all that was left was some SRV debris and a couple canisters. o7 CMDR

1SDrUdK.jpg

One long jump later, I arrived at Livingstone Point, the southmost star along the Meridian, and not far from being among the most southerly around.

DmQQ80K.jpg

Amazing sky - pitch black but for the glow of galaxies near and far.

FmTfttR.jpg

I'm moving west now, back up the outer arm towards Colonia as my eventual goal. I'll be bubble-bound eventually, assuming theres' a bubble to return to after 2.4 arrives. Fly safe, commanders o7

Last edited:
I will be heading out on the Dead End Circumnavigation Expedition in a couple of weeks.

If any of the current Bearers are nearish the Bubble, and want to do a handoff, I'm available.

CMDR grnbrg.

Hey grnbrg have you done the handoff?

During a clandestine meeting in an otherwise uninteresting system far away from the Thargoid threat, Camaraderie has indeed been transferred back to CMDR Grnbrg.

Thanks to on the spot assistance in form of repair limpets, CMDR Lydia of the Void's Cobra looks almost spotless, while CMDR Grnbrg's AspX is clear evidence of his long journeys.

Two space ships all alone in the darkness of the void, one to circumnavigate the galaxy, the other to return into populated space for an overdue refit.

During a clandestine meeting in an otherwise uninteresting system far away from the Thargoid threat, Camaraderie has indeed been transferred back to CMDR Grnbrg.

https://i.imgur.com/ylkxrsd.png

Thanks to on the spot assistance in form of repair limpets, CMDR Lydia of the Void's Cobra looks almost spotless, while CMDR Grnbrg's AspX is clear evidence of his long journeys.

https://i.imgur.com/n3oHKSq.png

Two space ships all alone in the darkness of the void, one to circumnavigate the galaxy, the other to return into populated space for an overdue refit.

That's awesome!

Sorry did I forget to record that you got Camaraderie from Lydia of the Void?

I'd be happy to haul one of them for DWE2. I'll probably take my Clipper Nierika, so I'm out of the jump range master race and can sacrifice a ly for that ;)

The Endurance has been passed on!

Lo and behold, my fellow explorers! The Legacy known as the Endurance is now in the hands of Felina Hawk!

But let me tell you a bit about my whereabouts up to the transfer:

First after I got the Legacy from Aggie, I went out to Beagle Point and then CCW out along the arm, as I have already told you. Then I hopped from grey blob to grey blob (high mass systems) towards Colonia, where I joined the LOGE. With the conclusion of that expedition, there were only two weeks 'till the arrival of version 2.4 with the advanced route plotter, so I quickly went to work with my route plotter test! You can read more about that in a separate thread.

-Post route-plotter-testing
A bit jump-fatigued, I took some time off ED with only a few short sessions to cover some of the distance to the bubble, while keeping in touch with fellow explorers on the CCN Discord, where I soon found a potential future carrier, a willing caretaker, who also happens to be attending the Minerva Centaurus Expedition; a fact that matters both to me and to the principle of the Legacies. So we agreed on a general area and an approximate date when we would meet and transfer the Endurance.

mPOSds7.jpg

This icy ring was not a good spot for the transfer, but it looked So Good!

-Pre meet-up
I reached the third waypoint of the MCE late November and started looking for a good spot to do the transfer. It should be scenic, preferrably with interesting planets in the system, but most of all easy to find and with enough flat space to fit both an Anaconda and an Asp. I found a spot on a small moon with large canyons and equally large parent planet as background.

fvEc9ep.jpg

-The meetup
Well, I had to leave that spot I picked out in my dusty and hasty wake; my fellow explorer, the very next carrier, called out in distress five kylies away! I buckyballed it all in just over two hours, just to arrive and hear her ask if I could get her a 8" monkey wrench from her toolbox... Nah, joke aside, I was eager to pass it on for several reasons: I have a great idea on what to do at the ceremony, I was eager to share it with her and last, I want to get out of this Asp and possibly into an Annie with which I will travel even further out on the fringes of the galaxy. And she will be called "The Green Giant".
So we met on a red dusty little planet where I first told her about my travels with the Endurance in hold, then about the simple rules regarding it before finally handing it over! Felina Hawk then provided a tonne of low temp diamonds, with which we did as follows:

E3dIqRC.jpg

-The Endurance and the ritual
As many can imagine, a tonne of Lavian Brandy is not one big steel container filled with the exotic liquid. Rather, it's a shipping container filled with shockabsorbing material and five 200 liter oak barrels. The same goes for a tonne of low temperature diamonds; it's not a thinwalled steel container filled to the brim with diamonds, the value of one tonne would be orders of magnitude higher than it is now; rather, it's a high security, thickwalled box with a digital certificate on the material within: how many diamonds it holds, the quality, weight and shape of each and every one of them and the current ownership, all stored in some sort of safe blockchain-file, so that anyone can track them back to the prospector who mined them out of the cold ice blocks orbiting some desolate gas giant in a well-kept secret location.
Felina Hawk and I cracked open the box of diamonds, tearing away all the seals and safety measures to find two handfulls of sparkling crystals of varying shapes and sizes. I picked out a squareish flat one for glueing onto the FSD status light to make it stand out. We then opened one of the five barrels of brandy, filled up two two-litre steel flasks to have one each personally with us on our future travels as a memory of this meetup. We then dumped the rest of the diamonds in the barrel, save two, which we put in the two flasks. That way, when the next explorer takes over the Endurance, he can easily pick out which barrel we took our small share out of by the sound it makes when he rolls it around; like rocks and rubble. We believe that the value of this barrel has actually increased with our malicious mischievous and disrespectful shenanigans...

Anyway, that diamond on my FSD status light.. Here it is:
tTO6OvI.gif
Recognize the engraving? :) It is sitting on the top right corner of this box:
XFt4ISK.jpg

Doesn't it look good? It keeps me focused during long jump sequences between systems

Last edited:
Greetings!

It's been a while since I last checked in. And by a 'while' I mean something approaching 150,000 ly. Last time I checked in I was at Livingstone Point on the southern Meridian. It's been several months since then and it's been an eventful, if episodic trip, as i've started burning out. Picking up where I left off, after leaving Livingstone Point I proceeded westward along the outer arm, until discovering an rare ELW binary south of Vig's Beacon!

ty8i5BS.jpg

Not being willing to let this tag go unclaimed, I rushed almost 10,000 ly north to the closest inhabited system, Farsight Expedition Base in the Heart Nebula. Handing the legacy to my alternate account one last time for safe keeping I sold my data at Farsight and tagged my ELWs.

Collage: ELW #166-214, all of which found with Achievement in my hold:
peUaRfr.jpg

After this last pit stop, I pushed southwest through the Formidine Rift, stopping at one of the settlements, passing just above the POI Maia's Jewel, flew past the black hole at "Opposites" and stopped to explore the Spongou Nebula. I zigged north to "Explorer's End" (it wasn't mine!) then zagged over to land on the unusual "Little Trojan" planet, surprisingly co-orbiting with planet 1 in its L4 or L5 point. After tip-toeing over the Bovomit permit-zone, I continued northwest for the better part of 20,000 ly.

mgvBZPd.jpg

6xXwuEE.jpg

WC7Rwk6.jpg

9stUcF2.jpg

eNnGyA4.jpg

7UqSuj2.jpg

I decided not to stop at the western-most point on the '0 north' meridian, "Manifest Destiny", and instead continued north to Wagar's Reach and the Osprey Stellar Remnant.

HTz5lnU.jpg

xsniG6k.jpg

I then made a hard turn westward and curved over to the westernmost star in the galaxy, Erickson's Star. I discovered a few Jumponium rich "Green" systems surrounding Erickson's Star itself, which is good because it took mover 40 jumponium jumps on my 53.5 ly Asp to reach the POI itself! This is easily the most difficult of all the distant stars to reach by that measure.

Sh0PhzQ.jpg

xsniG6k.jpg

After Erickson's Star I headed due east to Mount Glenn, one waypoint on the Mercury 7 expedition, and made a decision - after 120,000 ly of travel since the last pit stop, and so few interesting sights in the outer arm, I decided to take a break from exploration and head back to Colonia. I'm simply burning out and need to save some energy for DWE II! I'll have to finish the Grand Spiral someday, but it won't be this trip. The final sprint has been 20,000 ly directly SE from Mount Glenn to the Colonia area.

Here in Colonia I wanted to take Achievement on three challenges. First is The Mighty, where I managed to land safely with the Legacy :) I then climbed a ~200m hill, The Mighty's 10g equivalent of a great mountain, with Achievement onboard my SRV.

sjIgI5l.jpg

0i7l7Z6.jpg

Next up, I wanted to land on the planet Monde de la Mort - this is the "World of Death" that has an orbit that extends INSIDE the exclusion zone of its parent white dwarf. Unfortunately, this was a successful failure - a failure in that I didn't get to land on the planet (only enter orbit) but a success in that I survived at all.

When I approached it appeared the planet, which was at aphelion at the time, was clear of the star's jet. It wasn't. Just before touching the planet I entered the jet and got pushed around as you do - causing me to hit the planet a bit too fast for OC - in turn causing an emergency drop, into realspace, in the middle of the WD jet. I very nearly died right then and there, with Achievement in my hold. Instead, I was able to log ot (waiting the 15 seconds so it wasn't a 'combat log'), and log back in 45 minutes later, when the planet's orbit had taken it outside the jet. With a ~1-2 hr orbit you don't have to wait that long.

The position of the planet 45 minutes after aphelion, when I escaped:
xCBSIiw.jpg

That brings me to today - the last day with Achievement. I tried and failed to find any NS-ELW despite searching over a hundred NS, so instead I took Achievement on three laps around The Running Man course, on Eol Prou RS-T d3-509 B 2 a. My lap times were terrible of course, cautiously flying an exploration outfitted Asp, but nevertheless Achievement has been around a canyon race course for the full three laps :D

bPBNAN5.jpg

6oYUGmG.jpg

Tomorrow, the plan is to hand over Achievement to another commander, in the general Colonia area, for one last time. I like to think I've given it a good run. I've taken Achievement to four galactic extremes, around 2/3 of a Grand Spiral and around nearly an entire Galactic Circumnavigation; its visited alien bases, abandoned human bases, and living aliens; it's landed on the Mighty and climbed its mountains, it's run the Running Man canyon race, and survived a trip to the World of Death; and seen just about every kind of wonder the galaxy can provide from WR hypergiants to Neutron primary WW-TFCs and everything in between. I've done everything I can to make Achievement live up to its name, and the spirit of the legacy itself, and hope that it's just the beginning for our tasty barrel of brandy :)

On a personal note, DWE was one of the highlights of my entire gaming career and a bright spot in a dark time in my life. it's been a true honor to be able to carry the legacy for so long and to so many places and to keep the spirit alive. Thanks, Olivia, for the great idea and carrying the legacies to Beagle Point, and thanks everyone who has taken part in this great experiment! I look forward to DWE II and hope to see all of y'all out in the deep black once more. Fly safe my friends! o7

PS: Imgur album with these and some other pictures, from my last 150k ly: https://imgur.com/a/anNWi

Last edited:
I can't believe I didn't think of this at the time, but ...

The Endurance and the ritual

As many can imagine, a tonne of Lavian Brandy is not one big steel container filled with the exotic liquid. Rather, it's a shipping container filled with shockabsorbing material and five 200 liter oak barrels. The same goes for a tonne of low temperature diamonds; it's not a thinwalled steel container filled to the brim with diamonds, the value of one tonne would be orders of magnitude higher than it is now; rather, it's a high security, thickwalled box with a digital certificate on the material within: how many diamonds it holds, the quality, weight and shape of each and every one of them and the current ownership, all stored in some sort of safe blockchain-file, so that anyone can track them back to the prospector who mined them out of the cold ice blocks orbiting some desolate gas giant in a well-kept secret location.

Felina Hawk and I cracked open the box of diamonds, tearing away all the seals and safety measures to find two handfulls of sparkling crystals of varying shapes and sizes. I picked out a squareish flat one for glueing onto the FSD status light to make it stand out. We then opened one of the five barrels of brandy, filled up two two-litre steel flasks to have one each personally with us on our future travels as a memory of this meetup. We then dumped the rest of the diamonds in the barrel, save two, which we put in the two flasks. That way, when the next explorer takes over the Endurance, he can easily pick out which barrel we took our small share out of by the sound it makes when he rolls it around; like rocks and rubble. We believe that the value of this barrel has actually increased with our malicious mischievous and disrespectful shenanigans....

Talk about your brandy on the rocks!

Last edited:
Greetings!

It's been a while since I last checked in. And by a 'while' I mean something approaching 150,000 ly. Last time I checked in I was at Livingstone Point on the southern Meridian. It's been several months since then and it's been an eventful, if episodic trip, as i've started burning out. Picking up where I left off, after leaving Livingstone Point I proceeded westward along the outer arm, until discovering an rare ELW binary south of Vig's Beacon!

Not being willing to let this tag go unclaimed, I rushed almost 10,000 ly north to the closest inhabited system, Farsight Expedition Base in the Heart Nebula. Handing the legacy to my alternate account one last time for safe keeping I sold my data at Farsight and tagged my ELWs.

Collage: ELW #166-214, all of which found with Achievement in my hold:

After this last pit stop, I pushed southwest through the Formidine Rift, stopping at one of the settlements, passing just above the POI Maia's Jewel, flew past the black hole at "Opposites" and stopped to explore the Spongou Nebula. I zigged north to "Explorer's End" (it wasn't mine!) then zagged over to land on the unusual "Little Trojan" planet, surprisingly co-orbiting with planet 1 in its L4 or L5 point. After tip-toeing over the Bovomit permit-zone, I continued northwest for the better part of 20,000 ly.

I decided not to stop at the western-most point on the '0 north' meridian, "Manifest Destiny", and instead continued north to Wagar's Reach and the Osprey Stellar Remnant.

I then made a hard turn westward and curved over to the westernmost star in the galaxy, Erickson's Star. I discovered a few Jumponium rich "Green" systems surrounding Erickson's Star itself, which is good because it took mover 40 jumponium jumps on my 53.5 ly Asp to reach the POI itself! This is easily the most difficult of all the distant stars to reach by that measure.

After Erickson's Star I headed due east to Mount Glenn, one waypoint on the Mercury 7 expedition, and made a decision - after 120,000 ly of travel since the last pit stop, and so few interesting sights in the outer arm, I decided to take a break from exploration and head back to Colonia. I'm simply burning out and need to save some energy for DWE II! I'll have to finish the Grand Spiral someday, but it won't be this trip. The final sprint has been 20,000 ly directly SE from Mount Glenn to the Colonia area.

Here in Colonia I wanted to take Achievement on three challenges. First is The Mighty, where I managed to land safely with the Legacy :) I then climbed a ~200m hill, The Mighty's 10g equivalent of a great mountain, with Achievement onboard my SRV.

Next up, I wanted to land on the planet Monde de la Mort - this is the "World of Death" that has an orbit that extends INSIDE the exclusion zone of its parent white dwarf. Unfortunately, this was a successful failure - a failure in that I didn't get to land on the planet (only enter orbit) but a success in that I survived at all.

When I approached it appeared the planet, which was at aphelion at the time, was clear of the star's jet. It wasn't. Just before touching the planet I entered the jet and got pushed around as you do - causing me to hit the planet a bit too fast for OC - in turn causing an emergency drop, into realspace, in the middle of the WD jet. I very nearly died right then and there, with Achievement in my hold. Instead, I was able to log ot (waiting the 15 seconds so it wasn't a 'combat log'), and log back in 45 minutes later, when the planet's orbit had taken it outside the jet. With a ~1-2 hr orbit you don't have to wait that long.

The position of the planet 45 minutes after aphelion, when I escaped:
https://imgur.com/xCBSIiw.jpg

That brings me to today - the last day with Achievement. I tried and failed to find any NS-ELW despite searching over a hundred NS, so instead I took Achievement on three laps around The Running Man course, on Eol Prou RS-T d3-509 B 2 a. My lap times were terrible of course, cautiously flying an exploration outfitted Asp, but nevertheless Achievement has been around a canyon race course for the full three laps :D

Tomorrow, the plan is to hand over Achievement to another commander, in the general Colonia area, for one last time. I like to think I've given it a good run. I've taken Achievement to four galactic extremes, around 2/3 of a Grand Spiral and around nearly an entire Galactic Circumnavigation; its visited alien bases, abandoned human bases, and living aliens; it's landed on the Mighty and climbed its mountains, it's run the Running Man canyon race, and survived a trip to the World of Death; and seen just about every kind of wonder the galaxy can provide from WR hypergiants to Neutron primary WW-TFCs and everything in between. I've done everything I can to make Achievement live up to its name, and the spirit of the legacy itself, and hope that it's just the beginning for our tasty barrel of brandy :)

On a personal note, DWE was one of the highlights of my entire gaming career and a bright spot in a dark time in my life. it's been a true honor to be able to carry the legacy for so long and to so many places and to keep the spirit alive. Thanks, Olivia, for the great idea and carrying the legacies to Beagle Point, and thanks everyone who has taken part in this great experiment! I look forward to DWE II and hope to see all of y'all out in the deep black once more. Fly safe my friends! o7

PS: Imgur album with these and some other pictures, from my last 150k ly: https://imgur.com/a/anNWi

This has been an amazing read. I think I want to add some of this to the OP. I'm not sure hwo.

DWE was amazing for me as well. I'll look forward to seeing you on it.

BTW, Why is achievement marked as stolen? Did someone forget to abandon it?

Last edited:
Tomorrow, the plan is to hand over Achievement to another commander, in the general Colonia area, for one last time.

This has happened as planned. And for a hand-over at a race course, what could be more appropriate than a ship that already has the racing spoiler built in?

Fm3vQPw.png

The correct answer is "just about every other ship", of course. During the meeting, CMDRs May and Cometborne

vkJX6E0.png
YBR5nEN.png

observed a minute of silence in remembrance for Wanderlust, lost on a distant planet. After that, it was time for the big moment:

1MJiNSL.png

4oISSfA.png

Achievement is now on its way back to Beagle Point as part of the upcoming Beagle Point Expedition:

G1GimfI.png

Top Bottom