The Star Citizen Thread v8

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Hello all,

Our previous SC thread reached the 10,000 post limit. As such, it's time for a new thread for Star Citizen discussions. If you want to discuss Star Citizen, this is the place to do so! [up]

As always, the following rules are in effect for this thread (in addition to the per-forum rules here).

1. If you cannot debate the subject, and decide to debate, troll, flame, harass, stalk the user/person - your post(s) and all follow up posts will be removed and moderated.
  2. This thread is for the discussion of Star Citizen only. Off-topic discussions will be removed.
  3. Moderation will be dealt with by the Forum manager and volunteer moderators. There is no need to publically call for moderation. Simply report any posts for review by clicking the icon.
  4. Posting of offensive, degrading, or mocking content will not be tolerated.

So to start this new thread and in preparation for a New Year i have something to get off me chest.

I was a minor Whale, i greatly enjoyed Freelancer and the many mods for it. I really believed the bill of sale. I bought ships for the 3 boys also many Christmas ago. Total is most likely around 900.

I have learned something from this and it makes me feel ashamed....

But i will enjoy this Christmas playing Elite where everything works as it should and count my many other Blessings.

So you wont see me back in this thread till the new year as i wish to keep things as stress free as possible.

Have a Great Christmas everyone and a happy New Year :)

So to start this new thread and in preparation for a New Year i have something to get off me chest.

I was a minor Whale, i greatly enjoyed Freelancer and the many mods for it. I really believed the bill of sale. I bought ships for the 3 boys also many Christmas ago. Total is most likely around 900.

I have learned something from this and it makes me feel ashamed....

But i will enjoy this Christmas playing Elite where everything works as it should and count my many other Blessings.

So you wont see me back in this thread till the new year as i wish to keep things as stress free as possible.

Have a Great Christmas everyone and a happy New Year :)

Have you refunded?

Continuing the complaints about cockpits... i dont understand the big deal. I've been a pilot for 25+ years and quite a few aircraft, like some early WW2 warbirds and cold war era Soviet stuff are abysmal for both layout and visibvisibiolity. Ever flown a MiG-21? I have... visibility and cockpit layout is by far the most horrific I've ever had to expexperienced. Or we can discuss the visibility of early Bf 109s or the American P40s... CR wants to bring the feeling of WW2 to SQ42. He has said so repeatedly. Not every ship is going to have the cockpit of a Vulture or Keelback... thank goodness.

Last edited:
Well, I've finally finished downloading 3.0 and it actually runs better than I would have thought after reading all the posts from closed PTU players. The main problem for my system seems to be twofold, one problem is that the system can't stream data fast enough, due to me having installed the game on my 2 TB Storage HDD, a Samsung HD204UI, instead of a SSD, so I get small freezes when the game has to wait for the datastream to catch up and two beeing that my vidcard simply doesn't have enough Vram. My current system looks like this: i7 2600 on a H67 mainboard with 16 Gigs of ram, a GTX 670 with 2 Gig of VRam, running win10 on my 120 Gig SSD and everything else from the mentioned Samsung HD204UI HDD. It runs actually quite acceptable in arenacomander but then it also doesn't have to stream that much data in that mode. I'm getting a constant 30-35 FPS in Arenacomander even with lots going on and, if I leav my toon standing around for a bit so that the game can cache enough data, I get around 15-20 fps on crusader. That is until the game runs out of data and has to stream new stuff from my disk wich sends performance down the crapper. So having a fast SSD, preferably a PCI-E SSD, should help imensly to reduce stuttering caused by caching and also vidcard with 4 gig or more VRam seems to be absolutely the lowest one should use.

Edit: Also one thing that I foun d to be kinda anoying is the two speeds that the chararcter can move in. You can basically either walk around insanely slow or run around like an idiot. It would be really nice if there was some sort of fast walking speed avaliable.

Last edited:
Continuing the complaints about cockpits... i dont understand the big deal. I've been a pilot for 25+ years and quite a few aircraft, like some early WW2 warbirds and cold war era Soviet stuff are abysmal for both layout and visibvisibiolity. Ever flown a MiG-21? I have... visibility and cockpit layout is by far the most horrific I've ever had to expexperienced. CR wants to bring the feeling of WW2 to SQ42. He has said so repeatedly. Not every ship is going to have the cockpit of a Vulture or Keelback... thank goodness.

That flight model, eh? :)

I last checked in about version 4 of this thread.

Any update on a release yet? Not a trolling comment.

Nah, the only firm release dates in this caper are ship sales. Beyond that, the actual software will be coming "soon" and "We have always been anticipating 3.1" (now a ripped bare, janky, buggy 3.0 has been pushed live)...

Continuing the complaints about cockpits... i dont understand the big deal. I've been a pilot for 25+ years and quite a few aircraft, like some early WW2 warbirds and cold war era Soviet stuff are abysmal for both layout and visibvisibiolity. Ever flown a MiG-21? I have... visibility and cockpit layout is by far the most horrific I've ever had to expexperienced. Or we can discuss the visibility of early Bf 109s or the American P40s... CR wants to bring the feeling of WW2 to SQ42. He has said so repeatedly. Not every ship is going to have the cockpit of a Vulture or Keelback... thank goodness.

Its quite easy: people dont like how it looks. The 'yeah, but in WW2 things sucked too!" argument may be valid: I neither know nor care. People dont play spacesims to get that authentic WW2 soviet experience, at least I dont. If you do like it, good for you. But 'not understanding' seems a bit... odd. Dont need to be a pilot to understand people who like space games like to see their space.

That flight model, eh? :)

Nah, the only firm release dates in this caper are ship sales. Beyond that, the actual software will be coming "soon" and "We have always been anticipating 3.1" (now a ripped bare, janky, buggy 3.0 has been pushed live)...

The flight model is still in process and CIG has said so repeatedly

As is everything else. Which is part of the problem. We have a spacesim MMO, and the 'flying the ships' and 'netcode' bits suck terribly much. After more than half a decade. Foundations my foot...

sorry, but this should be a damn videogame. When I play I would like to see what happens around me.

Its quite easy: people dont like how it looks. The 'yeah, but in WW2 things sucked too!" argument may be valid: I neither know nor care. People dont play spacesims to get that authentic WW2 soviet experience, at least I dont. If you do like it, good for you. But 'not understanding' seems a bit... odd. Dont need to be a pilot to understand people who like space games like to see their space.

SOME don't. Its far from everyone. I dont have an issue with bombers and non fighters having restricted or obstructed views...

sorry, but this should be a damn videogame. When I play I would like to see what happens around me.

Not a big deal to me. This is why we have sensors, MFDs and such. Especially in cargo ships, bombers etc. But personal prefence and all that. Which is why i like the diversity of ships and cockpits in game, and we only have about 1/3rd the ships in game so far. Thats epic. The Hull-C should not have near the open and visibility of say the Gladius.

Last edited:

And when do you expect that they will change/tweak the Flight Model?Like half an hour before the final release of the game or what?

Well, I've finally finished downloading 3.0 and it actually runs better than I would have thought after reading all the posts from closed PTU players. The main problem for my system seems to be twofold, one problem is that the system can't stream data fast enough, due to me having installed the game on my 2 TB Storage HDD, a Samsung HD204UI, instead of a SSD, so I get small freezes when the game has to wait for the datastream to catch up and two beeing that my vidcard simply doesn't have enough Vram. My current system looks like this: i7 2600 on a H67 mainboard with 16 Gigs of ram, a GTX 670 with 2 Gig of VRam, running win10 on my 120 Gig SSD and everything else from the mentioned Samsung HD204UI HDD. It runs actually quite acceptable in arenacomander but then it also doesn't have to stream that much data in that mode. I'm getting a constant 30-35 FPS in Arenacomander even with lots going on and, if I leav my toon standing around for a bit so that the game can cache enough data, I get around 15-20 fps on crusader. That is until the game runs out of data and has to stream new stuff from my disk wich sends performance down the crapper. So having a fast SSD, preferably a PCI-E SSD, should help imensly to reduce stuttering caused by caching and also vidcard with 4 gig or more VRam seems to be absolutely the lowest one should use.

Edit: Also one thing that I foun d to be kinda anoying is the two speeds that the chararcter can move in. You can basically either walk around insanely slow or run around like an idiot. It would be really nice if there was some sort of fast walking speed avaliable.

Well FPS mostly depend on what server you get connected if you are playing 3.0 PU,for me it´s been from 15-20 and sometimes can go from 25-35,which means that its more network limitation.....anyway yeah SSD it´s a MUST I also tried first on regular HDD and beside the much slower loading I had occasional stutterings,you will avoid all of that on SSD it´s way more fluid but then again we talking about 20-30 frames Fidelity...

Last edited:
Just hopping in quickly to wish you all a merry Christmas, my surroundings look more wet then white but I hope some of you folks have the proper ambience too :)

/cheers

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom