HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Has anyone played with an R9 390? My current setup: R9 390 with an i5-4590 6M Cache 3.30GHz. I know my processor may need an upgrade soon but not sure if I should upgrade my GPU first or processor to get the best out of my Vive.

I play with a reference R9 390X, an i7-6700k and 16GB ram. I play with my Vive with very good results. I can play somewhere around VR High with a small amount of supersampling. It varies from patch to patch though. Sometimes I need to drop it. And I'm sure I am taking advantage of interleaved reprojection (we 390ers and Furyers don't have the luxury of async).

Ok have raised a ticket with the Devs I run a vive and a 1080ti dropping frames like mad in station or planet. I have a fix for me and I informed the devs. Go into steam VR settings/performance and select asynchronous reprojection runs smooth with most things set high and SSat1 but hmd at 1.75 text is good in the cockpit hope this helps.

I apologize for this, as I did go back through the last few pages, but things in this thread seem to change fast.

What is the current "best way" to run the Vive in E:D now? Is it Game SS 6.5 / HMD 1.0 with Vive SS 2.0? Or do I bump the HMD settings in game and keep Vive at 1.0?

Don't know whether it's all placebo, but I kind of "feel" I get a better results increasing SteamVR supersampling, than I do ED HMD Quality. A circumstance I can't wrap my head around, because the way I imagine things working, they should be the exact same thing. :p

The SteamVR supersampling slider has changed, by the way, and is now a multiplier on the area of the bitmap (corresponding directly to pixel count and pixel shader work load), instead of on its width and height, which means that what used to be 2.0, for that setting, is now its square: 4.0. Some think this new definition is easier to grok, others disagree. :7

Tastes will vary, but I keep both in-game options at 1.0, and tweak only the SteamVR value, which can now also be changed on the fly, without restarting SteamVR.

There is also a new option, right below the supersampling slider, which in effect lets you chose between clarity and better antialiasing in the final output to the HMD (only for the mapping of the already rendered image to screen - doesn't affect the game antialiasing).

EDIT: Hopefully one of these days, maybe FD considers implementing dynamically adapting detail, so that the game can scale up and down on the fly, to keep framerate up, as well as favour the centre of the lens.

Last edited:
Installed the new Vive headstrap this weekend and highly recommend it. Much better fit (for me) and more comfortable. Built in headphones work fine. I'm not an audiophile, but sound quality seems good. Installation was relatively straightforward, but I recommend watching the installation video on Vive's support website, which explains how to remove the old strap and install the new one step-by-step. Only drawback is that it's harder to flip up the headset because of the improved fit, so if you're like me and occasionally flip up the headset to consult EDDB or chat on Steam, that won't be as easy. Is it worth $100? I think so, but YMMV.

Don't know whether it's all placebo, but I kind of "feel" I get a better results increasing SteamVR supersampling, than I do ED HMD Quality. A circumstance I can't wrap my head around, because the way I imagine things working, they should be the exact same thing. :p

The SteamVR supersampling slider has changed, by the way, and is now a multiplier on the area of the bitmap (corresponding directly to pixel count and pixel shader work load), instead of on its width and height, which means that what used to be 2.0, for that setting, is now its square: 4.0. Some think this new definition is easier to grok, others disagree. :7

Tastes will vary, but I keep both in-game options at 1.0, and tweak only the SteamVR value, which can now also be changed on the fly, without restarting SteamVR.

There is also a new option, right below the supersampling slider, which in effect lets you chose between clarity and better antialiasing in the final output to the HMD (only for the mapping of the already rendered image to screen - doesn't affect the game antialiasing).

EDIT: Hopefully one of these days, maybe FD considers implementing dynamically adapting detail, so that the game can scale up and down on the fly, to keep framerate up, as well as favour the centre of the lens.

Thank you.

The other slider options are in the SteamVR beta, or in ED?

(I'm on vacation or I'd just log in and look).

Thank you.

The other slider options are in the SteamVR beta, or in ED?

(I'm on vacation or I'd just log in and look).

Just referring to the ususal drop-down menus with a few preset numerical values in ED: Options/Graphics/Quality/Supersampling (render larger + scale down before giving to display) and .../HMD Quality (only render larger, let SteamVR take care of the resampling).

Very nice! I had pretty good settings with OpenVR and a lot of custom settings in the ED app, but since steam added their VR home stuff, i don't seem to have any way to edit ED's settings beyond broad presets like "VR Ultra, or VR High". Since that update I have also noticed some morraying of fine lines in the starports that wasn't there before, going to play around with my settings some to see if I can get rid of them but anything to sharpen the orange text of the UI, esp. the outer most 3d layer, like targets in the hud would be very appreciated.

Can you not expand the graphics quality nested menu any longer? (primary "fire" opens the quality presets pop-up menu, secondary fire (if assigned), or mouseclick on the tree structure node, expands the branch)

The moire patterning could be caused by then new OpenVR supersampling filtering, which can be disabled (reverting to the old one) from the desktop side SteamVR settings, if one so prefer. Although SteamVR has changed how it defines how much supersampling one do, it autoadjusted, so if you had 2.0, it should say 4.0 now (EDIT: producing the same result), without any input from you...

Last edited:
Can you not expand the graphics quality nested menu any longer? (primary "fire" opens the quality presets pop-up menu, secondary fire (if assigned), or mouseclick on the tree structure node, expands the branch)

The moire patterning could be caused by then new OpenVR supersampling filtering, which can be disabled (reverting to the old one) from the desktop side SteamVR settings, if one so prefer. Although SteamVR has changed how it defines how much supersampling one do, it autoadjusted, so if you had 2.0, it should say 4.0 now (EDIT: producing the same result), without any input from you...

Got it worked though finally and got my settings back to where they are good. Might have just needed a hard boot on the cpu to get drivers sorted.

Is there still any work being done to help eliminate "the shimmering lines" effect and the out of focus control panels ? It is beyond terrible in my Vive and I struggle to play more than 10-15 mins at a time. Every other game I have and play looks fine ... It's just ED ... which is a shame because it is basically the reason I bought the Vive. I have adjusted my fov and IPD in the Headset and adjusted the GFX settings more times then I can count, working through VR low to VR High settings in various combinations of AA on and off and HMD quality vs SS etc. I have applied the different colour schemes, run it Night mode, dropped the panel brightness ... I just can't get rid of the aliasing shimmer and it makes it unplayable .... or is this just the way it looks ?

I have a 6gb 1070 , I7-6800K , 32gb ram

Is there still any work being done to help eliminate "the shimmering lines" effect and the out of focus control panels ? It is beyond terrible in my Vive and I struggle to play more than 10-15 mins at a time. Every other game I have and play looks fine ... It's just ED ... which is a shame because it is basically the reason I bought the Vive. I have adjusted my fov and IPD in the Headset and adjusted the GFX settings more times then I can count, working through VR low to VR High settings in various combinations of AA on and off and HMD quality vs SS etc. I have applied the different colour schemes, run it Night mode, dropped the panel brightness ... I just can't get rid of the aliasing shimmer and it makes it unplayable .... or is this just the way it looks ? I have a 6gb 1070 , I7-6800K , 32gb ram
Shimmering lines? Out of focus panels? Im not sure I understand. I don't think I experience anything shimmering, and the panels focus is fine... Can you explain it a bit further?

The out of focus in cockpit panels I can handle .. but the alias shimmering is this - https://youtu.be/FBQhsIzfV2c Imagine this x100 across every line and object in my view. Space station interiors are absolutely saturated with it. No amount of SS in either ED or Steam VR will fix it.
That video looks like the authors HMD SS/Steam VR SS settings are still set to default, and certainly seems like some AA hasn't been set because you can clearly make out pixel edges/jaggies. It looks how Elite looked when I first installed a HMD and hadn't tuned the game for VR. Using NVidia Experience software (claimed in the description) to assume configuration in Elite won't give you good settings for Elite in VR. I know you said you've tried changing those settings, but are you sure something didn't default itself? Can you screendump your settings from DrKaii/Ingame? Or perhaps I simply don't notice, you'd have to tell me if it looks different in my game- this is how it looks for me, this is in my Oculus, but in fact the super sampling settings are lower when using the Oculus than in my Vive, otherwise it's the same config:
[video=youtube;3102Tio3CvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3102Tio3CvM
[/video] Just jump a couple of minutes in.

Last edited:
Wow ... if that is how yours looks in HMD it makes me even more depressed lol .. mine is no where near that good. Here is a screen grab of my current settings, which isn't saying much because I change them constantly to try and get rid of this low res jagged line shimmering.

Settings.jpg

I should also mention that I leave Steam VR SS settings on 1.0

First: I have no idea what you are talking about, regarding out of focus panels, save possibly you may refer to the way things are in focus right in the centre of the lenses, but falls off out toward their periphery. There is no way to simply fix this; It can be mitigated somewhat, by making sure one really does hit the sweetspot of the lenses in the Z axis; Alas, just using the eye relief dials may not help for everybody (myself included), because the shape of one's face (deep-set eyes, heavy brow, protuding cheeks, etc) may not allow the large lenses to get close enough (using the HMD without the foam, mine touch my brow, and I could still do with getting a bit closer - I have ground them along the top edges, to make them less chafing, as well as added 1.5 diopters to their lens-to-screen distance, so that I can use the HMD without glasses). Otherwise, there are hardware solutions that could hypothetically help: Attaching a concave fiberoptic taper to the surface of each display, to match the field curvature of the lenses, or making your own custom frenel lenses, with each segment progressively stronger, to achieve an equivalent effect. Both those would also require updating the distortion parameters of the HMD, to reflect the changed optical path (as does my diopter change, really). All in all not an uncomplicated job. :7

As for the aliasing; No way to get rid of it, that I know, other than setting both Supersampling and either SteamVR_ss, or HMDQ to 2.0 (...or 4.0 new scale, for the former); That 4.0 total ss (16 times the workload) looks rather nice (looking e.g. at the highly anisotropic floor underneath the cobra in the menu scene), but leaves you with a slideshow of a game (and to pour salt onto the wound, the game begins to stream out mipmaps, when that happens, leaving you with little detail) :p.

(Usually one should only resample once, and that should be at the last possible stage, in order to preserve as much detail/quality as possible, but these real-time algorithms take a limited amount of samples for each output pixel -- hence the two-stage operation of using both SteamVR supersampling, and then Elite's built-in supersampling on top of that; The latter "bakes in" a first stage of detail, which might simply have been skipped, if using a theoretical 16x SteamVR ss.)

There is a thread "petitioning" FDev to add temporal antialiasing to the game, for potentially better results than the two post-effect options we have today (blurry b'stards), but who knows whether anything ever comes of that... TAA also comes with its own set of issues.

At some point, one will have to try to find a balance between blur and aliasing, that is acceptable to oneself, personally. For my part, I favour crispness any day, so I have Elite's AA off, and SteamVR's "advanced supersampling filtering" (below the SS slider) off (you, on the other hand, may want to make sure it's on). I can live with some aliasing, if it means I don't have to deal with muddy visuals. (EDIT2: This works as long as A) Framerate is maintained, and B) You supersample enough that there is actual detail popping through each pixel, from frame to frame, with every tiny motion of your head, and not just a low resolution "canvas" discretely hopping around).

(EDIT: There seems to always be talk about there being ways to get good multisampling antialiasing working in deferred renderers (which have superceded "forward" ones, and allow for things like tons of light sources, at low computational cost), but none of this ever seems to make it into actual widespread implementation -- Unreal Engine 4, which is an infamous culprit, when it comes to heavy aliasing, and combatting that with ham-fisted heavy blurring), recently had a forward path shoehorned back into it, just to accomodate new VR titles with decent antialiasing.)

Last edited:
Ok .. well thanks for the info and the responses guys ... any info is appreciated. I'll just keep poking around with it until I find the best compromise.

Top Bottom