B rated modules

Stock ships come with a bunch of E modules to make the purchase look like a good deal, but needing 50-100% added to get it up to spec. Sounds just like a real car sale.

But what about the B rated core modules; does anyone actually use them? They are heavier, not much better than a C and basically not a worthwhile upgrade to any ship. I don't think I have ever used one in my elite career and was wondering what the use of these parts are, and if other people actually do find them useful? Personally I tend to use D or A rated depending on what ship it goes in to, even with the 138M 8A thrusters of the Cutter I went from 7A to 8A as I couldn't waste the money on the 8D/C/B thrusters as an intermediary.

What are your thoughts?

PS: I get the 0B scanners, scoops etc. The question is mainly about the core modules like pp, thr, fsd, pd, se, ls

If you're on a budget they can make sense. I ran an 7B power plant on my Python for a while. Another Cr. 30m for another 2.5mj just didn't make sense at the time. Not when I could engineer it beyond that for free.

Obviously as I earned more I upgraded but the ol' 7B did me proud for quite a while.

For SCBs you actually get the most MJ out of a B grade bank.

5335619-he%27s_right_you_know.jpg

IMO class C modules are the most useless ones.

Last edited:
For SCBs you actually get the most MJ out of a B grade bank.

Which is true but depending on your build/engineering you may need to carry an extra heat sink launcher in order to deploy those cells without boiling your ship. If that requires dropping a shield booster from your utility points then...

Which is true but depending on your build/engineering you may need to carry an extra heat sink launcher in order to deploy those cells without boiling your ship. If that requires dropping a shield booster from your utility points then...

Nontheless, it is a good application, ergo, they are useful just not too much.

It depends on my build and finances; though I tend to A-rate eventually if I'm flush with creds. In the interim sometimes the B is more than serviceable, considering cost and effectiveness. I will actively avoid B if I'm building for weight however.

I agree with the previous post about C-rate being the most useless. I only run a C if there's literally nothing better available.

As pointed out, I am not talking about fashion accessories, but the core modules ;)

Depends on the module and ship. IMHO big lumbering ships can use a B-drive well. Its not as if an A-drive will suddenly make them super agile, and the integrity is very welcome. On T9s for example I'd much rather put B-rated pp and thrusters to both keep insurance (and as such risk) low while also increasing chance of survival.

I use a B grade power plant on the Anaconda for a bit of extra security. The A costs too much and I don't need the power anyway. Sometimes B-grade SCBs but I usually just stick As in so I don't need as many heatsinks, I rarely need the extra cells anyway. Other than those it's all A or D for performance or mass respectively.

I ran a 7B fuel scoop on my exploraconda until I got really rich. Nearly the same scoop rate for a fraction of the price. Anything massless is good for B grade as the usual disadvantage is negated.

Achilles7

Banned

Thank you William, for saving me the trouble...

My one fully engineered ship - used for PvP regulaly - has one extra h/s ammo & I fire two 5A SCBs using one h/s....trying to fire two without a h/s would be catastrophic & I can't spare another utility. Hence 'A rated' SCBs are the optimal choice for me.

<Amended Morgan Freeman meme: 'He's right in certain circumstances, you know!'>

Last edited:
For builds which are weak on shields, I choose B grade power plant and thrusters, for their higher integrity. For my pure combat ships, I figure the weight tradeoff is worth the integrity. Maybe the math doesn't bear this out, but I've not explored the numbers in-depth.

Top Bottom