We should be able to pay to name a star system.

I don't want people to be able to name stars, stations at all. That is... not if I am to be confronted with it.
I don't want to encounter stars named after anybodies children or childhood sweetheart, passed away dads and pets..

I would not mind it it if there would be a way to switch it off, so that only the ones who named the stars get to see that new name.

I am already annoyed to no end to have to see the very often ridiculous names of those that explored star systems for the first time.
I would actually pay to be able to switch that off. It is a constant irritation.

that seems a bit intolerant. yes i am aware that some people will be tempted to name things in a silly way , especially teenagers, but then the game is here for all, imature or otherwise.
In denying naming rights to first discoverers (which I think should be the standard for free reward for being the first, after all there are no indigenous previous owners here and correct me if i err, are proceedurally GENERATED by the first person in them) you deny those who would get great enjoyment out of this reward and use it in great way, humourous or otherwise.

the indignation at silly names can be offset by the appreciation of clever, romantic, mysterious, unusual or whatever...

who doesnt look at an atlas and have dreams inspired by all the "foreign" placenames

the galaxy would be made a richer tapestry by having systems/ planets moons named

my first ELW would have been naturally NorMundi and the only landable moon next to it NorMundi Landing.......offended by this silly pun????

you can ingnore silly ones or CHOSE to be offended by them

Naming rights is the "Natural" way of things , only not here for censorship reasons(?) and a little progamming (me NO expert) that could be dealt with in the same manner they deal with commander or ship names, which have their own thread moans

silly is fun as well, ask any comedian, just because not every joke is appreciated by everyone is no reson to mute the world like every despot "ayatollah" wants to

currently in a city that is in "lockdown" because one bunch of religious idiots are rioting because another bunch of religious idiots (of the same religion) are offended by them, were suppose to be having a Family function that is cancelled because of this. so people have flown in for a function cancelled by "offence". luckily i usually live x thousand km away in a better evolved country

Last edited:
Are you saying people did not donate to charity for the sake of a good cause? I have overpaid for many, many things in the name of charity - that doesn't mean I feel hard done by if someone (outside of charity) pays less for the same item.

I fear you may be in a minority on this point though.

I'd be fine with it. I'd probably make it a requirement that you are Elite in Exploration, have discovered the body, & FDev reserves the right to say no if it's a stupid name to prevent abuse & flooding. As for the price, well, I'd be fine with £25 per body & as the game gets developed the 'worth' of that £25 will likely increase.

Tbh, I wouldn't want players to be able to name systems for any amount of cash, but I would love to see FDev reflect major player-named POIs ingame.

The Galactic Mapping Project is super cool, and helps make key systems stand out against all the procedurally generated names. I'm not talking every other star being named, just the major POIs.

For example, it would be great to see systems properly named such as Semotus Beacon, Altera's Eye, the various Meridian stars, etc.

Basically, what they've done for Beagle Point and Colonia, but not on a once-in-a-year basis, but as often as such a significant system is discovered.

that seems a bit intolerant. yes i am aware that some people will be tempted to name things in a silly way , especially teenagers, but then the game is here for all, imature or otherwise.
In denying naming rights to first discoverers (which I think should be the standard for free reward for being the first, after all there are no indigenous previous owners here and correct me if i err, are proceedurally GENERATED by the first person in them) you deny those who would get great enjoyment out of this reward and use it in great way, humourous or otherwise.

the indignation at silly names can be offset by the appreciation of clever, romantic, mysterious, unusual or whatever...

who doesnt look at an atlas and have dreams inspired by all the "foreign" placenames

the galaxy would be made a richer tapestry by having systems/ planets moons named

my first ELW would have been naturally NorMundi and the only landable moon next to it NorMundi Landing.......offended by this silly pun????

you can ingnore silly ones or CHOSE to be offended by them

Naming rights is the "Natural" way of things , only not here for censorship reasons(?) and a little progamming (me NO expert) that could be dealt with in the same manner they deal with commander or ship names, which have their own thread moans

silly is fun as well, ask any comedian, just because not every joke is appreciated by everyone is no reson to mute the world like every despot "ayatollah" wants to

currently in a city that is in "lockdown" because one bunch of religious idiots are rioting because another bunch of religious idiots (of the same religion) are offended by them, were suppose to be having a Family function that is cancelled because of this. so people have flown in for a function cancelled by "offence". luckily i usually live x thousand km away in a better evolved country

Sounds like you're offended by others being offended.

Another vote against, humour is a very subjective matter, one person's meat is another person's poison.

Lol didn’t that coat someone like $500 ?

I'm not sure of the circumstances around it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Some people have more money than sense*. :)

* This is, of course, merely my opinion. I'm sure the guy thought he was being tremendously funny. ;)

Now try naming your ship peacock and see how that goes.
I've seen a couple of questionable names; usually work arounds that .. technically .. do not violate the rules.. Ben Dover for example. :)

Last edited:
Indignation about silly names isn't my issue.
But that we even casually discuss naming pixels for money as if it's the most normal and acceptable thing in the world makes my stomach want to churn.
When exactly did we loose our collective minds again ?

Deleted member 110222

D
Sure. As long as there's a switch to keep the original, astronomically relevant names.

Some of us actually like the scientific naming convention.

Please don't force upon me how much you love your children, by naming a planet after little Jimmy.

Believe me. That will only make me hate him more. :D

verminstar

Banned
Bob Marley memorial...now that one I could get behind...frontier take my money.

If at some point in the future one can build anything and name it...thats what I would call it. I really dont see that breaking any rules or scaring the little 7 year olds playing this game...but someone somewhere will object. Its why we cant have nice things...political correctness is so droll and boring, I want a time machine to go back to an age where 95% of the world actually had a sense of humour as opposed to what we have in the here and now ^

Deleted member 110222

D
But that we even casually discuss naming pixels for money as if it's the most normal and acceptable thing in the world makes my stomach want to churn.

Welcome to the 21st century.

If you don't want to, then don't do it. If other people want to then where's the harm?

I wouldn't do it myself, but provided it was curated properly* then I'd have no real objections if other people got to name stuff.

* My rule would be "would the name be acceptable in an episode of Star Trek or Babylon 5?". I've played NMS so I've had my fill of planets called "Balls".

I'd prefer an random name generator based on a weight-scoring system.
For example, if the weighted-score of a discovered system comes out to one that is rich in minerals, it could be automatically generated to one of the following:
Franklin Shaw's Prospect

or rich in Ice
Franklin Shaw's Ice Belt

or ELW's
Franklin Shaw's Garden Worlds

or whatever.

( Franklin Shaw is the name of my Cmdr )

It's a big problem for me when players get the chance to name things themselves, because inevitably, they don't take it seriously and oft times have the maturity of a bag of fresh grapes and think they're being clever or funny when they aren't.

To put a little perspective on my position, it bothers me quite a bit when playing World of Warcraft and I see Death Knight players running around with the names "xXArfusDefNiteXx", or when I'm flying around in ED and I see "Cmdr Cheese Cake" or "Cmdr Wafflebug" .. a lack of imagination is an affront to the human existence. :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
If you don't want to, then don't do it. If other people want to then where's the harm?

I wouldn't do it myself, but provided it was curated properly* then I'd have no real objections if other people got to name stuff.

* My rule would be "would the name be acceptable in an episode of Star Trek or Babylon 5?". I've played NMS so I've had my fill of planets called "Balls".

My objection is due to the fact I actually quite enjoy the current scientific naming convention of most things in this game.

May I add, people paying to rename things is going to ruin the month's worth of notes that hardcore traders like myself have made?

Of course, a toggle to retain the original names would be welcomed.

25£ is 'super expensive'?

Don't see it happening, TBH. They're not hurting for cash, and the ability to name systems is generally something they do for special occasions, such as the recent charity livestream for Special Effect.

The shareholders would love it, however as a gamer I would say no! it would hurt the brand more than it would benefit it. Use in game cash instead, one billion to name a planet, 5 billions to name a system.

The Monetization in ED should ONLY be cosmetic, if they start to charge money for anything else it would hit them back as a boomerang.

Top Bottom