We should be able to pay to name a star system.

My objection is due to the fact I actually quite enjoy the current scientific naming convention of most things in this game.

May I add, people paying to rename things is going to ruin the month's worth of notes that hardcore traders like myself have made?

Of course, a toggle to retain the original names would be welcomed.

I was under the impression that this wouldn't affect stuff in the bubble, only First Discovered By stuff. That would be my second rule :)

verminstar

Banned
My objection is due to the fact I actually quite enjoy the current scientific naming convention of most things in this game.

May I add, people paying to rename things is going to ruin the month's worth of notes that hardcore traders like myself have made?

Of course, a toggle to retain the original names would be welcomed.

Thats easy to get around. I know of this one little place...total of 3 planets, two of which are satellite binaries of a class 4 gas giant where the canyons make SLF racing a delight. No stations, no planetary bases...but I have spent literally days of playtime there. Thousands of ly from anyone...and known only to me...wheres the harm in that?

I was under the impression that this wouldn't affect stuff in the bubble, only First Discovered By stuff. That would be my second rule :)

Ah ninjad ^

Why do people always want to give FD money for something utterly pointless? Well, if they do I dont give a hoot but I do find it baffling. Welcome to planet Badgers Snatch. Im with Un1Korn, I like the scientific. Makes it feel real.

I'd prefer an random name generator based on a weight-scoring system.
For example, if the weighted-score of a discovered system comes out to one that is rich in minerals, it could be automatically generated to one of the following:
Franklin Shaw's Prospect

or rich in Ice
Franklin Shaw's Ice Belt

or ELW's
Franklin Shaw's Garden Worlds

or whatever.

( Franklin Shaw is the name of my Cmdr )

It's a big problem for me when players get the chance to name things themselves, because inevitably, they don't take it seriously and oft times have the maturity of a bag of fresh grapes and think they're being clever or funny when they aren't.

To put a little perspective on my position, it bothers me quite a bit when playing World of Warcraft and I see Death Knight players running around with the names "xXArfusDefNiteXx", or when I'm flying around in ED and I see "Cmdr Cheese Cake" or "Cmdr Wafflebug" .. a lack of imagination is an affront to the human existence. :p

so 33 NorMonsaGardens, 344 NorMonsta Ponds, countless NorMonsta prospects.....just as boring as synfefe xpr d 19.....
if we aare going to be upset by stupid or ugly then to be honest none of us would step outside our front doors.

i dont like so much Paint splatters being flogged off as high art......but i am not about to stifle everyones attempts art

another mans meat.....even the stupid names will be appreciated by segments of the player base....its a big galaxy...room for all, profund , inane , whatever

Indignation about silly names isn't my issue.
But that we even casually discuss naming pixels for money as if it's the most normal and acceptable thing in the world makes my stomach want to churn.
When exactly did we loose our collective minds again ?

The things people have an attachment to is their own choice. I feel like indignation toward the attachment others feel is just a waste of your energy. People will become attached or hold sentimental value to various things and that's okay, because we're an accepting and open-minded bunch of people.

As for selling the ability to name systems, there are no plans for this.

so 33 NorMonsaGardens, 344 NorMonsta Ponds, countless NorMonsta prospects.....just as boring as synfefe xpr d 19.....
if we aare going to be upset by stupid or ugly then to be honest none of us would step outside our front doors.

i dont like so much Paint splatters being flogged off as high art......but i am not about to stifle everyones attempts art

another mans meat.....even the stupid names will be appreciated by segments of the player base....its a big galaxy...room for all, profund , inane , whatever

Perhaps I should have kept it simple; examples don't work very well around here I've noticed. :)
Put simply, I'd prefer an automated naming system over a player-chosen naming system if we were to have custom system/planet names; however, I am happy with the current system and wouldn't like it being clogged up (so to speak) with stupid, meaningless unimaginative or childish names.

Edited.

Last edited:
Why do people always want to give FD money for something utterly pointless? Well, if they do I dont give a hoot but I do find it baffling. Welcome to planet Badgers Snatch. Im with Un1Korn, I like the scientific. Makes it feel real.

what is scientific about place names?.......Cooks Straight for e.g, Aotearoa? 49er creek? we are not naming plant animals but places which IRL have been named after all sorts of things from history, including peoples fav people, historical events, likenesses lots of things, its arbitary, not a science

verminstar

Banned
The things people have an attachment to is their own choice. I feel like indignation toward the attachment others feel is just a waste of your energy. People will become attached or hold sentimental value to various things and that's okay, because we're an accepting and open-minded bunch of people.

Boo hiss...dont you lot know how to just now and then do something a bit odd and unusual and crazy? The galaxy has a feeling of emptiness and unreality because its lacking the personal touches. It feels like a sterile, clinical environment where the politically correct rule with an iron fist...future sounds really boring tbh ^

I'd rather they didn't.

Don't really fancy the idea of the galaxy ending up as a dog's dinner of puns, passive-aggressive ne and sentimental tat.

If they insisted on it, I'd hope there would be an option to display the original names or the adopted ones.

Deleted member 110222

D
Thats easy to get around. I know of this one little place...total of 3 planets, two of which are satellite binaries of a class 4 gas giant where the canyons make SLF racing a delight. No stations, no planetary bases...but I have spent literally days of playtime there. Thousands of ly from anyone...and known only to me...wheres the harm in that?

Ah ninjad ^

Where's the harm in having a toggle for nerds like me not having to see "Jimmy's World" at all? A toggle means everyone wins.

Can you please rename Stapled Peacock Flesh while you are at it? :D

If you don't want to, then don't do it. If other people want to then where's the harm?

I wouldn't do it myself, but provided it was curated properly* then I'd have no real objections if other people got to name stuff.

* My rule would be "would the name be acceptable in an episode of Star Trek or Babylon 5?". I've played NMS so I've had my fill of planets called "Balls".

One person's silly name is another person's actual home town. Have you looked at an atlas recently?

Sandy Balls is actually a place, it's next to Godshill, which would make some people on this forum froth at the mouth... It's a couple of miles north of Stuckton, Blissford and Frogham, Hyde, Hungerford and Ogdens... You think I'm joking? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9224114,-1.7686107,14z?hl=en

While you are at it, look up Friggle Street in Frome - it's close to a place that will get filtered if I type it. It's a wood named after a small english garden bird:
220px-Coal_tit_%28Periparus_ater%29_on_line.jpeg

So offensive it is that even Google hide it on their maps, but you can still search for it. It's not far from Wookey Hole, Priddy (Really Priddy... it's in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), Yoxter...

Or Butt Lane in Bishops Storford, right next to Maggots End... And that's just England... Try looking at the US - Kansas has Dodge City, Great Bend, Pratt, Isabel, Zenda and Spivey... they are right next to Nashville. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.4319066,-98.4367887,10.08z?hl=en

You know... really, when you think of it, Stapled Peacock Flesh is not that bad after all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
what is scientific about place names?.......Cooks Straight for e.g, Aotearoa? 49er creek? we are not naming plant animals but places which IRL have been named after all sorts of things from history, including peoples fav people, historical events, likenesses lots of things, its arbitary, not a science

What's scientific about it? Simple. If you go outside the bubble, you'll find the galaxy is split into different regions. This is a way to catalogue all the various stars and planets.

Like I say, some people thoroughly enjoy that naming convention.

This is a moot argument now, however, as Mr Dev' has said no plans.

Thank the Maker.

verminstar

Banned
Where's the harm in having a toggle for nerds like me not having to see "Jimmy's World" at all? A toggle means everyone wins.

I agree...even though I never mentioned anything about a toggle but its a cool idea...like a flagging system if yer wanting to see the original names as opposed to anything else. Both sides happy nothing to cry about because some name offended them.

As to the galaxy ending up with all sorts of dumb names that bypass the asinine swear filters that blocks out normal harmless words...Im getting a feeling of deja vu with this one...like we been here before...has a sense of familiarity about it where we pay fer ship nameplates and get all creative with naming our ships in ways the filters are bypassed.

Really, its nothing more than an extension of ship naming...only difference being the system doesnt move, but the concept is exactly the same. Why do people pay to name their ships yet are lambasted fer wanting to name a system? If one pays to name their ships and then uses a forum to ask why players would wanna give frontier money to name a system...?

Think about it ^

As fer seeking reasons to give frontier money...I doubt bthey doing this outta the milk of human kindness...more money means better game...thats the theory anyway ^

Last edited:
But that we even casually discuss naming pixels for money as if it's the most normal and acceptable thing in the world makes my stomach want to churn.
When exactly did we loose our collective minds again ?

I take it you haven't bought any nameplates for your ships then?

Deleted member 110222

D
I take it you haven't bought any nameplates for your ships then?

I have... But it's two quid. That's a pretty reasonable price. (I do think the basic nameplates should be free, but that isn't my call to make)

My opinion on the people who have spent hundreds, if not thousands for naming rights in a virtual world that will one day, (not necessarily soon), be turned off because it's too expensive to run? Well I don't think very highly of their financial decisions. It must be nice being in the 1%...

I agree...even though I never mentioned anything about a toggle but its a cool idea...like a flagging system if yer wanting to see the original names as opposed to anything else. Both sides happy nothing to cry about because some name offended them.

As to the galaxy ending up with all sorts of dumb names that bypass the asinine swear filters that blocks out normal harmless words...Im getting a feeling of deja vu with this one...like we been here before...has a sense of familiarity about it where we pay fer ship nameplates and get all creative with naming our ships in ways the filters are bypassed.

Really, its nothing more than an extension of ship naming...only difference being the system doesnt move, but the concept is exactly the same. Why do people pay to name their ships yet are lambasted fer wanting to name a system? If one pays to name their ships and then uses a forum to ask why players would wanna give frontier money to name a system...?

Think about it ^

As fer seeking reasons to give frontier money...I doubt bthey doing this outta the milk of human kindness...more money means better game...thats the theory anyway ^

Ship names aren't a scientific matter. Astronomy is.

The only system that wasn't completely bonkers by the end of "Forever War" (brainfreeze on author) was named Middle Finger. Just for comparison's sake.
P.S. I'm for buying planet/system/station/whatever names, but shouldn't be cheap if it displays on other peoples' games. An overlay to edit/change names on your OWN machine would be a very nice cosmetic.

verminstar

Banned
I have... But it's two quid. That's a pretty reasonable price. (I do think the basic nameplates should be free, but that isn't my call to make)

My opinion on the people who have spent hundreds, if not thousands for naming rights in a virtual world that will one day, (not necessarily soon), be turned off because it's too expensive to run? Well I don't think very highly of their financial decisions. It must be nice being in the 1%...

Ship names aren't a scientific matter. Astronomy is.

But the game isnt scientifically accurate...there are little touches of accuracy but its not totally accurate no matter what way ye look at it. So thats a moot point at best ^

This also from someone who posts threads up everytime a new paint appears in the store...double standards?

Last edited:
Top Bottom