The Pirate Code

With all the discussion about piracy there seems to be one element that's been overlooked.

What if there are no players to attack, only NPC's?

Since player pirates are likely to be more successful than NPC's it's a possibility that players will start to avoid instances where player piracy is likely. Unless there's an advantage to being in an instance where player piracy could occur, why would anyone be there other than the pirates?

Maybe I've missed something but it seems like it would eventually become a choice to risk being attacked by player pirates.

You won't have any (direct) control over which instance you're in.

You can choose group, which I think is what you mean. Certainly, the ability to move into Lone for the Anarchy system runs and back into All for the rest is a problem.

There has been a little talk about it being a one way street (All->Some->Lone), but that's probably not going to work for people. So likely they'll limit you to X changes every Y days.

With all the discussion about piracy there seems to be one element that's been overlooked.

What if there are no players to attack, only NPC's?

Since player pirates are likely to be more successful than NPC's it's a possibility that players will start to avoid instances where player piracy is likely. Unless there's an advantage to being in an instance where player piracy could occur, why would anyone be there other than the pirates?

Maybe I've missed something but it seems like it would eventually become a choice to risk being attacked by player pirates.

Interesting point - so basically if you want to make money trading you'll not participate in the "ALL" group since you'd prefer to take your chances with only NPC pirates and not reak ones. The pirates will only have NPC's to prey on - a sort of cop-out game mechanic.

Hey guys, why not start a Latin thread - or better yet a clan? That way you can exchange witty one-liners to your collective hearts' content without needing to disturb the rest of us. ;)

If Frontier Dev make a game where its possible to murder people for profit.. I intend to do just that as often as possible!

I'm sure there will be some sort of mechanisms to avoid combat almost entirely if your clever and safe.. just as in Eve Online. But I do hope they make some sort of juicy enticing short cuts to encourage people to do some risky activity which puts them in front of my guns :eek:

I'll use my lasers to scan any holds I want to look in :) - Have a nice day

In the good ol' days of Frontier I would be a trader in a Panther. Loaded with about 10-20 tonnes of cargo, a gazillion shields with some heavy packin' weapons of mass devastation.

Come 'ave a look at me holds ya scurvy pirate! I would bounce off of planets for the fun of it! :D

Eye patch needed

I have the parrot. When I have the eye patch and the wooden leg, I will be ready. Roll on 2014.

Soooo, I'm thinking about being a pirate.
What's the code - we don't want to be griefers.

The profit in piracy is getting the cargo for nothing. We don't need to detroy the ship, we just want yer cargo. So we see an Anaconda, shoot it until it drops it's cargo. We scoop what we can in our little Krait and fly off. Anaconda goes about it's business, annoyed but not dead.

So, 'player' traders are going to get savvy to this and maybe they load up a few tons of Food on top of their main cargo load. When they get attacked and have to jettison cargo, they just jettison the cheap Food.

Trouble is, now the pirate will just destroy traders because he doesn't want a load of cheap cargo.

Here comes a request me hearties. Can us pirates have a piece of equipment that tells us what the targetted trading ship has on board? So I can say, 'give us yer Luxury Items or I'll blast ya ta space dust.'

Cargo scanners make perfect sense to me, I'd expect that a target would be aware of active scanning though, so it'd be something you would do once you'd committed to attack. Or else the pirate would just lie in wait and watch the equivalent of the Generation Game's conveyor until the cuddly toy popped up. ;)

While much of the conversation has been about piracy relating to PvP, it's probably worth remembering that it will be an uncommon occurence in comparison to PvE. Even with an instance packed with players, DB has said that the proportion of PC to NPC will be significantly skewed in favour of the latter.

I have the parrot. When I have the eye patch and the wooden leg, I will be ready. Roll on 2014.

LOL - I've been getting my dream Anaconda painted up with The Caribou Waste Disposal Logo and trademark "Friendly Caribou" Decal. "Waste Management to the Stars...."

While much of the conversation has been about piracy relating to PvP, it's probably worth remembering that it will be an uncommon occurence in comparison to PvE. Even with an instance packed with players, DB has said that the proportion of PC to NPC will be significantly skewed in favour of the latter.

Agreed.

I suspect that the majority of my kills will be NPC traders / other hostile NPC pirates (not all will be unfriendly I suspect) and a large dose of the police / navy to boot. As for players ... it depends. If I can scan their cargo to see if it's worth it I will as taking on a player is significantly harder than an NPC.

You won't have any (direct) control over which instance you're in.

You can choose group, which I think is what you mean. Certainly, the ability to move into Lone for the Anarchy system runs and back into All for the rest is a problem.

There has been a little talk about it being a one way street (All->Some->Lone), but that's probably not going to work for people. So likely they'll limit you to X changes every Y days.

Yes, it's groups not instances that I'm thinking about.

I have this vision of players being in groups with their friends, on their own, in clans, then the all group being pirates only.

I have this vision of players being in groups with their friends, on their own, in clans, then the all group being pirates only.
It's certainly a worry and one reason why I tend to oppose any suggestion that fractures the playerbase.

Cargo scanners make it more fun to run valuable cargo. I always assumed the pirates had cargo scanners in the original so I could feel all tense when running a hold full of lovely potential loot.
It means the player is making an exiting choice balancing financial and risk when deciding to run a particular cargo. If there are no cargo scanners then the choice becomes simply financial.
Also, I know DB said he wants to balance game-play so all 'career' choices are more or less equally profitable but in every multiplayer game I know with piracy or the equivalent in it is not the most profitable activity. Usually it is the least profitable activity with the greatest overheads.
People do it for fun and because it is better in a PvP game to have financial reasons to attack each other, otherwise the reasons just become a bit random and then you get 'griefing', people looking for personal reasons to attack each other or just doing it so they can smacktalk in chat.

It's certainly a worry and one reason why I tend to oppose any suggestion that fractures the playerbase.

Perhaps an option to prevent this would be for players to be able to identify themselves to the system as pirates. The system can then randomly place pirates in any group, single, friends, clans, the all group.

The argument for using this mechanism to place a player pirate in a single or friends player group is that NPC pirates exist in Elite anyway and so to conform to the principles of Elite all players should be at risk, even if only rarely, from player pirates.

I understand this worry. I am confident that a LOT of players who are not pirates will want to have the possibility of meeting player pirates. Especially the kind of players who enjoy Elite.
Whether a particular type of PvP is fun or not is so very subjective. That is why I think the grouping mechanism is so great. It solves so many problems while not putting in place overly restrictive solutions that would ruin the game like pvp free zones or restrictions on P2P cash. By letting people choose to block out of their universe the kind of players they don't like.
For me the most likely players I will block are those that spoil immersion. For others it may be pay-or-die pirates. For others it may be people who wander around in groups singing kum-bay-yarrrr in local chat. Whatever.
There will be loads of us who want to share a universe with FUN pirates and I am sure there will be lots of FUN pirates to share the universe with.
Non-fun PvPers or people who always whine when they lose a fight will quickly find themselves excluded but others will be fine IMHO.

Perhaps an option to prevent this would be for players to be able to identify themselves to the system as pirates. The system can then randomly place pirates in any group, single, friends, clans, the all group.

This goes against the ethos of what is ED all about though.

The whole idea is that you can play the game however you please. Ignoring offline (which is irrelevant to this discussion) when online you have a choice of playing either solo; with friends you know; a group you have set up - so corporations / clans etc; or everyone in the 'all pilots' group.

If you only want to play with your friends and you force a playing pirate into their game it defeats the whole point of playing with your friends.

Remember it's an OPT-IN group - you're either playing with everyone or you're not. Pirates (and others) if they want to meet players will need to be part of the all pilots group to get a fair mix.

Top Bottom