Dove Enigma UA bombed, preventing completion of its voyage in time for the man it was named for.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear, and thx for sharing. Despite all, i hope this will cheer him up, at least a bit.

But i have to add, and this'll be my final say on this, there are occasions when you have to get something right the first time around....or not do it at all.

This was such an occasion.

Without wanting to come across as heartless I wonder if its appropriate for an online game to be used in such a way. Of course I empathize with anyone suffering a terminal illness but I'm not sure these never ending charity events, memorials and obituaries have a place in an online game.

Is there any actual need to deliver more MAs?

I was under the impression that they act sort of like hit-points, and UAs decrease them. Once those hit-points are gone the Stations starts to suffer.

Or is it the case that Dove Enigma is now immune forever?

I would think we're good by now. If people aren't too far along into the trip to Colonia, maybe they could turn around and spread some of those Meta-Alloys to some of the other stations in or about to go in UA lockdown. Help spread some of this good cheer around. :D

The ones UA bombing the ship are the more toxic obviously.

What's more important a desire to mine salt or the happiness of a terminally ill player, if there is any question in your mind between those two you are either developmentally disabled or trolling.

Now some naughty things have been said about the UA bombers, this is perfectly normal. This is how people normally react this type of behavior.

lol you think that is more toxic than doxxing which has the potential to ruin people's real lives? And saying that makes me 'developmentally disabled' or a troll?

Some pretty screwed up true colours you're showing there buddy.. It's a game, who cares if the Exploration data tab is disabled for a few days. In-game events < real life events.

lol you think that is more toxic than doxxing which has the potential to ruin people's real lives? And saying that makes me 'developmentally disabled' or a troll?

Some pretty screwed up true colours you're showing there buddy.. It's a game, who cares if the Exploration data tab is disabled for a few days. In-game events < real life events.
In real life someone is suffering from cancer. This was a real life event to make that person's time on this earth a little more pleasant. Don't forget that. This IS real life, these are real people.

Heartwarming. The good people of the galaxy have put aside their differences and their feelings, voted with their meta-alloys and done the decent thing. To all those who took part and made an effort no matter your feelings on the incident, thank you, and I am certain your deeds will be remembered.

However, regardless of the current status of the station, and despite the fact that I'm closer to Colonia than the Pleiades, I'm still making the diversion from the Enigma Expedition for meta alloys. In fact I intend to arrive back at the bubble this evening.

In fact, let us now start a new tradition of handing in 1T of Meta Alloys at the Dove Enigma every time we arrive in Colonia from the main bubble, to remind us of this incident and remind us that for one brief day we were all united in resolve and courage.

Perhaps let's make this a special day. 30th January can now be known as the Day of the Dove.

Last edited:
1. I am proud of all the people who "fixed" this on their own, good on you for doing what you did
2. I am still upset at FDev for not stepping in

By "letting the problem solve itself" they have validated this type of behavior (messing with a real life person suffering from cancer). They didn't "condone it," as some have said, but they "validated" it as "legitimate gameplay" which is disgusting, border-lining on sociopathic. In real life, systems are put in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Most charity events, your Walks For Life and similar things, are protected by police.

The memorial station was put in place and organized by FDev, and then they let it get dragged through the mud. That's on FDev.

FDev should show zero tolerance on trying to "troll" someone suffering from cancer in real life. More to the point, targeted harassment of any player (let alone one with terminal cancer) should be a direct and clear violation of the Terms of Service regardless if they are harassing said player through "legitimate means."

Am I calling for account bans?

Yes... yes I am. Any service/game where you specifically target and harass a player is grounds for a ban. This shouldn't even be a discussion frankly.

In real life someone is suffering from cancer. This was a real life event to make that person's time on this earth a little more pleasant. Don't forget that. This IS real life, these are real people.

So, would it have been better if the megaship arrived with nothing remotely interesting happening? Or better for him that lots of people rallied to his cause and helped him out, getting him a spot on Galent? What is the better outcome for the stricken individual?

There is two ways to look at this whole scenario, the salty pessimistic way or the positive way.

Yes... yes I am. Any service/game where you specifically target and harass a player is grounds for a ban. This shouldn't even be a discussion frankly.

On this we can agree - it's in clear violation of the EULA and basic human decency.

This was a moment for FDev to show what sort of community they want to foster.

They did.

I laud the efforts of those who hauled MA to fix this, but any illusions about who we're playing with have been shattered.

1. I am proud of all the people who "fixed" this on their own, good on you for doing what you did
2. I am still upset at FDev for not stepping in

Gonna have to disagree with you on #2. This got reported well after the staff would have gone home from their day, and got fixed well before they had time to rally and figure out exactly what happened. And in taking the time to investigate the events fully, may have discovered the players involved in the UA bombing utilized an exploit. Which they will take further action on.

On this we can agree - it's in clear violation of the EULA and basic human decency.

This was a moment for FDev to show what sort of community they want to foster.

They did.

I laud the efforts of those who hauled MA to fix this, but any illusions about who we're playing with have been shattered.

Wouldn't that depend on the results of the investigation? If these people were found to have been using an exploit to make this happen then they still potentially face a ban of some sort.

---

It's stupid, it's irritating and insulting but can we or should we even protect people from that sort of thing?

Last edited:

Yes, when people do things that are plainly unacceptable people react with various levels of upset, hostility, disgust, violence, anger and sometimes even pity. It depends exactly what was done and how bad it is, this to be honest is quite bad (for internet drama) and people have understandably reacted badly to it.

People who don't (or can't) follow the normal rules of society tend to get driven out.

Exactly it's just a game, let the dying man have whatever he likes.

You ask who cares, someone answers your question which to be fair was bit of a silly one. You only really need to read two or three pages to see that lots of people do. And quite a lot.

A lot of the postings in this thread are misinformed rants by busybodies who don't even know what they're talking about. The *title* of the OP is a massive misrepresentation of the facts, and a lot of people are emoting all over the place based on what is essentially A LIE. So, no - I don't think they care very much at all, since they aren't even interested enough to know what actually happened and what its implications are. I think it's far more likely that people are looking for an opportunity to parade their moral indignation around because hey for some people that's cathartic and fun.

The worst thing you can possibly say about the UA bombing is that it shows disrespect and/or malice towards a vulnerable person. But you can't even definitively say *that*, because we don't know *why* the UA bombing was done. There was *already* a campaign of UA bombing in Colonia underway a time this time - it isn't crazy AT ALL to think that the choice of target was entirely circumstantial. (the second target after the Pit in the Pennsylvania system)

But people WANT to ascribe a particular malice to the UA bombing because that's the only thing they have left as a justification for their anger.

So, would it have been better if the megaship arrived with nothing remotely interesting happening? Or better for him that lots of people rallied to his cause and helped him out, getting him a spot on Galent? What is the better outcome for the stricken individual?

There is two ways to look at this whole scenario, the salty pessimistic way or the positive way.
As "said individual" (i.e. Dove. i.e. Brandon, the real human) has stated (several times) the act itself, the sheer idea that it was allowed to happen, really hurt him. So yes, it would have been "better" if the thing just happened the way it was supposed to and not have put him through what he went through. It would have been better if people didn't think "You know what would be cool? If we screwed with this cancer victim..." and everyone completed their streams and reached their destination and everyone felt good the whole time...

I don't know if you've ever suffered from any sort of major illness, but an emotional "rollercoaster" is never the "better" option, no matter the eventual outcome. That's just the "better" option for the audience.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom