Crew Trust. The way forward

When the initial multicrew feature was rolled out, a large emphasis was placed on matchmaking, and drop-in multiplayer sessions as a way to increase the social interactions in the game. While this cause is noble, one of the immediate reactions was related to mistrust and risk to the commander's ship.

Since then, multi-crew features have centered around limiting the risk to the commander and his ship that "griefing" in multi-crew could cause. These features are important, but this approach limits the features that can be added to multi-crew.

In summary, the current multi-crew implementation assumes that you do not trust your crew.

If we want new features, we need to be able state, as ship commanders, that crew members are trusted.

Once that single feature is in place, we can begin to expand the multi-crew feature set for trusted crew.

Trusted crew could access tertiary controls, such as landing gear, lights, cargo scoop.

Trusted crew could access communications, sending chat, dealing with passenger requests, requesting landing, etc.

Trusted crew could access navigation, setting hyperspace courses, navigation targets, etc.

Trusted crew could access sensors, scanning celestial objects.

Trusted crew could balance power.

Basically, in order to turn multi-crew into the feature we'd all hoped for when it came out, we need to be able to designate a crew as trusted.

And, as commanders, we'll need to take responsibility for that choice. If a trusted crewmate betrays you, it will not be Frontier's fault. It will be our own.

When the initial multicrew feature was rolled out, a large emphasis was placed on matchmaking, and drop-in multiplayer sessions as a way to increase the social interactions in the game. While this cause is noble, one of the immediate reactions was related to mistrust and risk to the commander's ship.

Since then, multi-crew features have centered around limiting the risk to the commander and his ship that "griefing" in multi-crew could cause. These features are important, but this approach limits the features that can be added to multi-crew.

In summary, the current multi-crew implementation assumes that you do not trust your crew.

If we want new features, we need to be able state, as ship commanders, that crew members are trusted.

Once that single feature is in place, we can begin to expand the multi-crew feature set for trusted crew.

Trusted crew could access tertiary controls, such as landing gear, lights, cargo scoop.

Trusted crew could access communications, sending chat, dealing with passenger requests, requesting landing, etc.

Trusted crew could access navigation, setting hyperspace courses, navigation targets, etc.

Basically, in order to turn multi-crew into the feature we'd all hoped for when it came out, we need to be able to designate a crew as trusted.

And, as commanders, we'll need to take responsibility for that choice. If a trusted crewmate betrays you, it will not be Frontier's fault. It will be our own.

Good post, good idea, well said, entirely true. Then again there will always be that guy who powers down your fsd, thrusters, and shield generator when your in some pvp combat or something lol. That would be a big worry. I am sure there are security measures to put in place for that though.

Yeah there will always be that guy. But we need more of a "commander beware" system. If you, as the ship commander, don't want to trust your crew with vital systems, we'll need to be able to do that. But, if we do trust your crew, and we've allowed him access, and he powers down your thrusters just as you're about to dock, well then maybe he's not the buddy you thought he was. But if so, we can't make Frontier responsible for our poor choices.

+Rep

I want to assign real paying roles to my friends when they join me in Multicrew.

I know top people at FDev have said they don't want people to become rich just riding around with someone else and doing nothing.

I get that.

But if I, the pilot and ship owner, delegate a critical role to my crewmate, one that if he doesn't do it none of us will make any credits, then why can't I share my profits with him?

Please FDev, add those additional roles back in, and let crew make money outside of combat (please!)

o7

Actually when inviting a random person or somebody I don't know well to my ship, restricted access totally makes sense, but when inviting a friend to my cockpit, I'd just love to push the "full control" button and done. If he/she screws up, that's on me in the end. I pushed that button.

Actually when inviting a random person or somebody I don't know well to my ship, restricted access totally makes sense, but when inviting a friend to my cockpit, I'd just love to push the "full control" button and done. If he/she screws up, that's on me in the end. I pushed that button.

Agreed - me to.

This is a very necessary distinciton: inviting friends to multi-crew or inviting random-players is a difference. To have a "trusted player" button really could help multi-crew to get better.

+Rep of OP.

Top Bottom