News Crime and Punishment in Beyond Chapter One

Way too complicated and impracticable. Dunno how this should make the game more fun. Why you don not give the players decent possibilities to solve issues themselves and playfully. Why this authority system from above?

What? have you actually read the original post? It's simplification! Can you tell which part is more complicated than before?!

It would be interesting if Powerplay Faction affiliation could be flagged on a per-ship basis as well, so you wouldn't necessarily always be forced to deal with PP drama in other systems, if you want a break.

It could be set up such that if you are detected actually doing something relevant to powerplay, the flag would turn back on, but if you're going about your business, you'd be anonymous

Has there been any word on getting the darn "lawn darts" fixed? It's fairly annoying when you get pelted by NPCs that in turn knock you over the 100m/s speed limit, thus giving you a fine. We shouldn't be fined if the increase in velocity is an outside factor.

Looks good. Any word on flying half way to Colonia, commiting a crime dieing to the police and spawning in Colonia skipping 11k ly travel?

Probably depends on their definition of nearby.

Even so, there are many waypoints on the way to colonia so you won't get to go 11kly for "free". The way I interpret it, if you get killed then you end up at the last station you docked at since nothing is nearby (except the station you commited a crime against to get killed.)

Firstly, will the Interstellar Factor locations be searchable? Currently, you can't even search for them in EDDB.

Secondly, what about missions like Surface Scan? When you scan the data point, you get a dinky 600 CR bounty but now your ship is hot so you can't even turn the mission back in without taking a trek to some other system (which one? who knows?) to first clear the bounty. Sounds like a complete PITA for a mission that only gives you a hundred thousand credits.

Last edited:
Firstly, will the Interstellar Factor locations be searchable? Currently, you can't even search for them in EDDB.

Secondly, what about missions like Surface Scan? When you scan the data point, you get a dinky 600 CR bounty but now your ship is hot so you can't even turn the mission back in without taking a trek to some other system (which one? who knows?) to first clear the bounty. Sounds like a complete PITA for a mission that only gives you a hundred thousand credits.

Interstellar Factors are available at any port in every system with a Low security rating, I don't believe that is going to change. You can already filter the map by security rating to find them.

Interstellar Factors are available at any port in every system with a Low security rating, I don't believe that is going to change. You can already filter the map by security rating to find them.

From the Beyond 3.0 Beta 3 Patch Notes (Crime section):
  • Interstellar factors are now available at all markets controlled by factions with Anarchy governments, regardless of star system security level.

Last edited:
Further to my last comments a few pages back, found at:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/407608-Crime-and-Punishment-in-Beyond-Chapter-One/page2

• Bounties can be cleared by Interstellar Factors when your Notoriety is 0
• Any Notoriety means the interstellar factors cannot clear your fines or bounties.

I'd also suggest that while a Commander has outstanding fines and bounties - related to the crime of murder - the notoriety should *not* be able to return to 0. It should, perhaps, be possible to reduce to 1 while such crimes go unpunished and bounties remain outstanding.

(The notorious Commander should be at risk of discovery at all times, even if he switches to a 'clean' ship - through authority scans - when approaching a station, or interdicted by AI, as well as human players. Scans conducted while in supercruise should not result in detection for the notorious Commander in a 'clean' ship.).

This would mean that for a Commander to be able to pay the fine/clear the bounty, the Commander would have to surrender to the authorities at the relevant facilities when the notoriety has reduced to 1. It doesn't make sense, to me, that a Commander has committed the crime of murder, can stay logged in for 2 hours (not necessarily playing - perhaps just docked at a station) and the notoriety returns to 0, despite the fact there are outstanding bounties for murder.

• Commanders gain a Notoriety rating, a value between zero and ten.
• Notoriety increases by one whenever a Commander commits a murder crime.
• Notoriety decays one unit every 2 hours of time when you’re logged in the game back down to zero.

I believe there needs to be perpetual notoriety (minimum '1' until all bounties are cleared) - so long as there's an outstanding bounty for the crime of murder.

• Fines never mature into bounties.

This is a step backwards, in my opinion. Fines *should* mature into bounties. Surely, most of us are aware that an unpaid fine results in someone coming to collect. I'd suggest that NPC are sent after a player for unpaid fines and, on catching up with the Commander (once interdicted - of the AI can manage to pull that off..), the AI offers the Commander a chance to remotely pay the fine. Failure to do so results in termination... (I'd suggest that as a compromise the fines outstanding have to calculate to a certain amount *before* maturing into a bounty - perhaps £50,000).

As others have stated, the length of time notoriety takes to reduce in-game should be increased.

Reporting Crimes ON/OFF still works as it is now? Also it shouldn't be switchable during combat?

RIP PvP?

Looking better.

Glad you listened about Fines and Friendly Fire - as it sounds this should work.
However, does Trespass count as a Fine or Bounty? What you get for scanning private data points? How does that effect Trespass in a station?
A thought came to mind that inside the no-fire zone of a station Fines are counted as Bounties.

The ATR still seems it needs work to me, needed more time to test it properly in Beta I think.
What is stated will help any sustained cop-killing sprees, but may leave single-ship murders as a possibility - and over time the same effect still persists for the BGS.
Will be interesting to see if it'll work as intended but I still think this'll cut out many covert ops missions or murder contracts from ever being attempted in the future.
Raising the threshold for ATR spawns and making them persistent in system like Bounty Hunters and try to interdict players may have a better impact - or give a notoriety waiver for missions might help, but I guess we'll have to see.

Probably depends on their definition of nearby.

Even so, there are many waypoints on the way to colonia so you won't get to go 11kly for "free". The way I interpret it, if you get killed then you end up at the last station you docked at since nothing is nearby (except the station you commited a crime against to get killed.)

You respawn at the nearest detention center, which if you fly half way + 1 to Colonia, is the one in Colonia since fdev forgot to put in deep space detention centers.

Last edited:
Well, by reading all these new restrictions I ask myself if Frontier still wants us to play the game, or if the probably do not want us to play the game anymore.

- Do not play pvp a lot (or you'll be screwed up)
- Do not switch modules a lot
- Do not work on the background simulation that much

And so on. :O

Last edited:
Top Bottom