Elite dangerous for Linux

That's the perpetual Linux Catch 22 and is the only thing keeping Microsoft in business at this point.

You mean aside from the fact that the majority of their income comes from sources other than consumers?

Source (most recent data):

Revenue in Productivity and Business Processes was $8.0 billion and increased 22% (up 23% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:

· Office commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 7% (up 8% in constant currency) driven by Office 365 commercial revenue growth of 45% (up 45% in constant currency)

· Office consumer products and cloud services revenue increased 15% (up 14% in constant currency) and Office 365 consumer subscribers increased to 26.2 million

· Dynamics products and cloud services revenue increased 10% (up 11% in constant currency) driven by Dynamics 365 revenue growth of 81% (up 82% in constant currency)

· LinkedIn contributed revenue of $975 million

Revenue in Intelligent Cloud was $6.8 billion and increased 11% (up 12% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:

· Server products and cloud services revenue increased 15% (up 16% in constant currency) driven by Azure revenue growth of 93% (up 94% in constant currency)

· Enterprise Services revenue decreased 1% (unchanged in constant currency) with declines in custom support agreements offset by growth in Premier Support Services and consulting

Revenue in More Personal Computing was $8.8 billion and decreased 7% (down 7% in constant currency) driven primarily by lower phone revenue, with the following business highlights:

· Windows OEM revenue increased 5% (up 5% in constant currency)

· Windows commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 6% (up 6% in constant currency)

· Surface revenue decreased 26% (down 25% in constant currency)

· Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 8% (up 9% in constant currency)

· Gaming revenue increased 4% (up 6% in constant currency)

I mean, hey, I'd love to see a bit more competition too! That doesn't mean Microsoft is somehow not primarily an Enterprise focused company!

Last edited:
Only that is the very definition of a compatibility layer, translating one thing to another. But if you have a better term for what this thing does, by all means.

I have not - sorry, English isn't really my first language and i had to actually look up the definition of "compatibility layer". Now that i did - yes, it's a compatibility layer

Actually, for Vulkan you DON'T need to "add" an API. You rewrite the whole thing and it will be working under ALL platforms without anything,…
…except on Xbox One and PS4, that don't support Vulkan at all. And also not under macOS, since MoltenVK is primarily aimed at mobile developers and does not support the full desktop feature set of Vulkan – and probably never will (or at least not for a long time), as (desktop) Vulkan is not always translatable into Metal.

But, hey, you could use Vulkan to port ED to the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
PS4 supports Vulkan native. Also, there is absolutely no difference between running it on iOS or MacOS, since that's the whole point of Metal.

Speaking of Vulkan: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DXVK-D3D11-Working-With-VLK You know, if Frontier makes a working launcher for Wine (specifically for wine, so we don't have to hassle around too much) - this could actually be a way to run Elite on Linux without any big investments from Frontier. As long as they don't check the manipulation of the D3D Stream for "cheating"...which would render this useless for Elite.

I've given up though and got the PCIe Passthrough running. Not really excited about still having to have WIndows 10 installed anywhere, but hey...at least i don't have to reboot any more.

Last edited:
I always wondered if they could just make binary translation layers. Then independent tools could look at equivalent in other languages or create equivalent to other languages and basically compile it in any form it wants. Meaning people can keep their tools and change to any language or auto supplement any generic instantly created binary they wanted to. If everything was set to a neutral equivalent references, tools would just be for naming schemes you are used to and turned into any other thing they wanted. Maybe instant creation of a program for any language. If it's missing anything, again, instant creation of equivalent binary and naming it so the program can use it in that systems compile. All previous language that are available can have their binary equivalent names attached to the binary for analysis and recompiling. Then later if we stop using binary for other computational system we can translate too. It would potentially be the best thing for long term software development.

Say you write in language A and turn into language B. You could either take language A in neutral binary for compatibility even if it's in a new name/reference for the other language to simplify compatibility. Or vise versa make reference to B you are using and add refernce for A to use when you translate your code over so it neutralizes code references for this type of work. All things would contain or can be given binary references so the language, if using a similar tool, can add the reference to said languages library access temporarily for use and package with said software or be usable by a tool native to another machine to translate it into workable code on any needed level.

Linux as an OS could change completely to this concept on several layers for ease of compatibility. It could even be used between linux version so the system or user can compile equivalent software automatically. Or if some logic is developed an equivalent version to fit the OS and specific tools. I would think making it work at or giving it access potentially to low enough level tools could give a lot of potential solution to a lot of problems.

Last edited:
PS4 supports Vulkan native.
Nope. It doesn't. The hardware would of course be technically capable of it, but Sony offers not support for Vulkan. They use their own low-level API instead, GNM.

Also, there is absolutely no difference between running it on iOS or MacOS, since that's the whole point of Metal.
There absolutely is a difference: Metal has different feature sets depending on the hardware and system it runs on. There are large commonalities between the macOS and iOS versions, but still notable differences.

It's the same with Vulkan. The API is the same, no matter whether you use it on a desktop PC or a mobile Android device. But you still won't have the same feature sets on these platforms.

Last edited:
There absolutely is a difference: Metal has different feature sets depending on the hardware and system it runs on. There are large commonalities between the macOS and iOS versions, but still notable differences.

It's the same with Vulkan. The API is the same, no matter whether you use it on a desktop PC or a mobile Android device. But you still won't have the same feature sets on these platforms.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=vulkan-on-mac&num=1

Well, it only took roughly 4 weeks.
I doubt, frontier will react to that, though...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=vulkan-on-mac&num=1

Well, it only took roughly 4 weeks.
I doubt, frontier will react to that, though...
After some initial jubilation, it looks unfortunately as if my point still stands. For context: that guy is one of the lead programmers at Epic for the development of the Mac version of Unreal Engine 4, so he's knowledgeable.

Key phrase:

Specifically MoltenVK has a list of limitations that make it sufficient for porting mobile Vulkan games and games with a primarily D3D9-era rendering engine, but probably inadequate for most modern D3D11+ game engines.

Last edited:
Hmm, odd. How come Valve have shown a benchmark of DOTA 2 using Vulkan on macOS then? Is this not using MoltenVK? DOTA 2 isn't DX9 is it?!

I think that when David Braben will close his game servers and will release the game on the public domain, a linux version could appear. From my side, that is the customer's view, I bought some DVDs from shop last X-Mas. This is my only game and it is a long term game so I wonder if I could have my saved position to be backupped and fitted into third-part game servers, non only a linux version. There are some old windows games converted on linux with fake names, so what? I could buy a second-hand sports car, so I can buy another workstation and pay for another copy of ED instead. This is not a graphical problem, trust me. ED is not only stunning graphics.

Dota 2 uses in fact only DirectX 9.

In fact not on MacOS and Linux. Dota2 was ported by Valve to the Source2 engine and will use Vulkan and Metal/MoltenVK. At the moment I think it still uses OpenGL. Just like CSGO and the other Valve games. DirectX is only used for the Windows version.

I am currently running on Xbox, but I am not satisfied. The lack of Journal files and mor trivially the lack of a keyboard to text & search is terrible.

I do not own a windows system.

Same here. I bought it for my PS4, but I never really played it. I'm an Elite player from the very beginning over 30 years ago. On the C64. I don't want to know how many hours I had spent with Elite. But I never legally owned it. That was normal in these days ... :(

That's why I don't regret buying it. But it would be nice to be able to play it on my PC. And dual-boot is not an option. Especially Elite is well suited to let it run on the side. I have been working exclusively under Linux for 20 years. I can't do anything with Windows. I would rather buy a second PC.

Is there a chance that in the future we could have a Linux version?

I don't think so. Too much time has passed. Also now I'm a CSGO addict. Bye.

Seems we have. :D

Last edited:
Issue with planet

Hi,

First, thanks for your work on making Elite working on Linux, I have so much fun with it since I can play on my computer.
Everything work fine and run pretty ok with a 1050ti portable. However, I just found an issue. When I tried to access a base on a planet, the base seems to be in a hole and do not appears fully. If I request a docking station I have it but I cannot see it. Also, the "wall of the hole" are 'real', in the sense that I collide against them (see the linked picture)

When I launch Elite on the same laptop but with windows, I don't have this problem.

I use the last version of the patched proton given here (thanks again), and I use ubuntu 18.10 and the nvidia 415 (with a 1050ti). I am happy to provide more details if that can help.

EzbNPBF

Top Bottom