Black Hole - 16ls to a Neutron Star

Just found a Black Hole system with multiple Neutron Stars, not unusual... But one of the Neutron Stars is only 16ls away from the Black Hole.

Makes interesting viewing as the Neutron Star is hardly affected by the Black Hole!

Wondering if that is a quirk of the software, or how it would really be?

Screenshot behind the spolier...
FnWf-16lyBehind.jpg

CLICK HERE for larger version

Yeah it's a bit disappointing that the gravitational lensing effects of black holes only affects the galactic background and not local in system objects, as it would be stunning to see what it would do to close orbit neutrons or even normal stars.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Wow that's very impressive indeed. Fancy sharing the location, so I can add it to my list of need to visit systems, or are you waiting till you get back and sell the data?

Wow that's very impressive indeed. Fancy sharing the location, so I can add it to my list of need to visit systems, or are you waiting till you get back and sell the data?

I'm 10k from Colonia now and plan to sell some of my data there. Will post details afterwards :)

I've tagged you (Ozric) in my notes (EDDiscovery) to send you the location.

I am not entirely sure but that could potentially be with in the Roche limit.

If the game engine actually had real physics being taken into account. The neutron star, and the black hole would be both orbiting each other, essentially chasing the other one down.

The neutron star would be impossible to even observe like you see it there. The closer they get, the faster they would both be spinning. So the "pulsar" effect would also be insane on the neutron star as it also would be whipping around the black hole. It would be impressive to see. But there would be no scooping. That is for sure.

Nice find.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'm 10k from Colonia now and plan to sell some of my data there. Will post details afterwards :)

I've tagged you (Ozric) in my notes (EDDiscovery) to send you the location.

:D

I already gave you rep for the initial post, so you can't have any more at the moment I'm afraid, but thanks. I have a couple of bookmarks around the journey to Colonia as the last few times I've been out that way, I've been Buckyballing my way there and back :p

Huh...I'd guess software. AFAIK, in reality most scientists believe nothing escapes a black hole-- not even light. I would think the jets from the neutron would be puled toward the hole, since the neutron is close (probably too close) to the event horizon. Just my backyard reckoning though.

Rooks o7

If you wouldn't mind telling me the name of the system via PM after you sell the data, I'd be grateful. I'm interested in taking a look.

First line...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

Note: I hate to use WikiP, unless absolutely necessary. There's much better sources of info available, but usually require more time than I'm willing to invest. In the interests of time constraints though, it doesn't matter which of us have the accepted correct info. Astrophysics is still largely hypothetical, less theoretical than most think, and even less proven as factual, than most are willing to believe. We need to "really go out there" to observe and retrieve solid data.

Rooks o7

Here you go... Just handed in my exploration data (made ELITE as well)

The system is - Phroi Pra XJ-A f2473

Plenty left to tag there as well

Phroi-Pra-XJ-A-f2473-share.jpg

Top Bottom