Design A Holo-Screen Advert

I think there's no point to overthink this. I believe If ad will a) call to action to do something interesting in game for large part of community b) will be any good it will be approved.

Things rarely are that simple :D But that'd be ideal.

To be frank, all expeditions and community events and stuff should have adverts once in a while. Easy way to make the Galaxy a little more alive (and communicate!)

Submit one for us :p

I might submit several :D

Things rarely are that simple :D But that'd be ideal.

To be frank, all expeditions and community events and stuff should have adverts once in a while. Easy way to make the Galaxy a little more alive (and communicate!)

I agree. If FD could figure out pipeline for this I would all for it.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I would love to see FR adverts - Buckyball or Galactic Mapping as well for that matter, or ANY other faction or player initiative.

But as far I as know our lovely community this will very quickly turn into saltfest and a moaning spree, which would be a real shame, as this is one of the coolest things in regards to player-invented stuff that happened since release! Even more cool that the paintjob competition, as the winners here will be in game free of charge for all to see.

I just don't want for this nice initiative to be ruined by the community arguing the manure out of it because "they have their banner in game and don't".

While I would love to see those, I can see the salt flowing as soon as they would announce "no faction ads, apart from these few selected exceptions". IMHO it should be either all or none.
I think that some things, like the Fuel Rats, or Cannon Interstellar (or Lave Radio) are so cross faction and neutral, but offer such public services that they should be in game regardless to be honest, although I can accept that I am bias and that if you open a door, where do you draw the line (to mix metaphors!!!)

Cmdr Eid LeWeise

This is a great contest, because ED really needs more in-game Holo-screen adverts. This can be implemented relatively quickly by letting players contribute and select the best submissions.

There should be more contests like these so that the best player submissions are added in-game.

Last edited:
I'd love to be better at this kind of thing.

Here's my 10 minute hack job entry anyway:
gTTGhu2.png

I expect to see some much better efforts from the pros.

This is a great contest, because ED really needs more in-game Holo-screen adverts. This can be implemented relatively quickly by letting players contribute and select the best submissions.

There should be more contests like these so that the best player submissions are added in-game.

I wouldn't mind being appointed designer for such stuff, or moderating the submissions [noob]

You should have an advert for the new Mötley Crue or KISS-album, or maybe Rolling Stones :p Because you KNOW those guys will keep going until the timeframe of ED :D

First, let me say I love this competition. I will probably not submit something myself, for sheer lack of artistic skills, but I will watch this space with great interest. I hope we will be shown a gallery of all submissions when the contest is over.

Just one thing:

Advert Specifications
For an advert to properly be considered, it must adhere to the following conditions:

• Landscape adverts must be at 2:1 ratio
  • Portrait adverts must be at 1:2 ratio
  • Resolution: 2048 x 1024
  • We will need three types of image:
    • - The overall image will be made up of two layers of background and foreground images that make up the advert. The foreground image will contain the parts of the hologram (such as text), which are offset from the background in a 3D space.
      - A third flattened version (containing both background and foreground images) will be required to judge the overall advert.
      - Please submit all three layers (background, foreground and flattened images) as separate image files.
  • Black is considered transparent.
  • Adverts need to contain content relevant to the Elite universe, past games included.
  • Bear in mind that images will be run through the hologram shader, which pixelates the image into Red/Green/Blue spots close-up. Therefore the size of text and fine details needs to be taken into consideration.
  • No copyrighted material/fonts to be included in the ad.
  • In your submission email, please include the list of fonts used in the image.

You should expressly require submissions in a lossless and common format (e.g. PNG), lest someone sends you a JPG containing text...

Just to put it out there, if anyone does create a good quality Fuel Rats or Buckyball poster expect a mountain of +rep :)

Also great comp idea, this is exactly what the community will be great at doing and a chance for the artists to have fun and hopefully get their work in game, a win win if you will!

Last edited:

Hello Commanders,

Holo-screen adverts are just one of the ways that the system-spanning mega corporations reach out and service their trillions of intergalactic customers… and we’re giving you the chance to design some of them!

You can be as creative as you like as long as the image is related to Elite Dangerous. We’re not looking for faction recruitment posters, but general themes can include exploration, Superpower propaganda, ingame brands, and galaxy-wide initiatives. That said, these rules are flexible and if you have an incredible idea, please feel free to submit it!

We’ll take our favourite submissions and incorporate (pun intended) them into the game as a holo-screen advert in a future update. You can find all the details about the contest below.

Timeframe
The event will run from 13 April to 15 May (2018), with entry submissions closing at 4:00 PM (BST).

Advert Specifications
For an advert to properly be considered, it must adhere to the following conditions:

• - The overall image will be made up of two layers of background and foreground images that make up the advert. The foreground image will contain the parts of the hologram (such as text), which are offset from the background in a 3D space.
      - A third flattened version (containing both background and foreground images) will be required to judge the overall advert.
      - Please submit all three layers (background, foreground and flattened images) as separate image files.
  • Adverts need to contain content relevant to the Elite universe, past games included.
  • Bear in mind that images will be run through the hologram shader, which pixelates the image into Red/Green/Blue spots close-up. Therefore the size of text and fine details needs to be taken into consideration.

How to enter the contest?
Please email your submissions by clicking <a href="mailto:community@frontier.co.uk?subject=Elite%20Dangerous%20-%20Advert%20Contest%20-%20Submission">here</a>

How will winners be picked?
Once the submission period closes, an expert panel of the Elite Dangerous dev team will review entries and we will select a number of winners who will appear ingame. Selected adverts will be incorporated into the game as a holo-screen advert in a future update.

Terms and Conditions
  • You can submit as many adverts (entries) as you like.
  • All submissions must adhere to the specifications listed above to be considered.
  • The competition closes on Tuesday, May 15 at 4:00 PM BST.
  • Objectionable or offensive content will be disqualified.
  • No submission should violate the Elite Dangerous EULA and TOS.
  • Frontier Developments reserve the right to edit/adjust/alter images as we see fit.
  • Frontier Developments has the right to remove any entry at their sole discretion
  • Frontier Developments will own the copyright of any text or image used in the advert if incorporated into the game and will have the full rights to use the image in any promotional material or future ingame activity.
  • Frontier Developments has the final word on submitted adverts and winners will be announced after the event.

Very cool Will and FDev - I definitely have some ideas and hope to submit them soon!

Hello Commanders,

Holo-screen adverts are just one of the ways that the system-spanning mega corporations reach out and service their trillions of intergalactic customers… and we’re giving you the chance to design some of them!

You can be as creative as you like as long as the image is related to Elite Dangerous. We’re not looking for faction recruitment posters, but general themes can include exploration, Superpower propaganda, ingame brands, and galaxy-wide initiatives. That said, these rules are flexible and if you have an incredible idea, please feel free to submit it!

We’ll take our favourite submissions and incorporate (pun intended) them into the game as a holo-screen advert in a future update. You can find all the details about the contest below.

Timeframe
The event will run from 13 April to 15 May (2018), with entry submissions closing at 4:00 PM (BST).

Advert Specifications

How to enter the contest?
Please email your submissions by clicking <a href="mailto:community@frontier.co.uk?subject=Elite%20Dangerous%20-%20Advert%20Contest%20-%20Submission">here</a>

How will winners be picked?
Once the submission period closes, an expert panel of the Elite Dangerous dev team will review entries and we will select a number of winners who will appear ingame. Selected adverts will be incorporated into the game as a holo-screen advert in a future update.

Terms and Conditions
  • You can submit as many adverts (entries) as you like.
  • All submissions must adhere to the specifications listed above to be considered.
  • The competition closes on Tuesday, May 15 at 4:00 PM BST.
  • Objectionable or offensive content will be disqualified.
  • No submission should violate the Elite Dangerous EULA and TOS.
  • Frontier Developments reserve the right to edit/adjust/alter images as we see fit.
  • Frontier Developments has the right to remove any entry at their sole discretion
  • Frontier Developments will own the copyright of any text or image used in the advert if incorporated into the game and will have the full rights to use the image in any promotional material or future ingame activity.
  • Frontier Developments has the final word on submitted adverts and winners will be announced after the event.

An example submission would be a good idea, just so everyone clearly understands the submissions format ;)

Top Bottom