Fiction Elite Chronicles

Latest Update(19/06)

Elite Dangerous Universe
The world of “Elite” is an amazing place. It is not a world of black and white, but a very colourful one, where there are no real bad guys, no real good guys. It is not the world of cinema bad guys who do bad things ‘because they are evil’. One way of looking at the Empire might be as a den of evil; they have built their highly stratified and affluent culture on slavery, and almost nothing is illegal – parts of their society are genuinely above the law. Yet consider it from their point of view – everyone has rights, honour is highly valued, corruption is not tolerated, no one goes hungry. People can easily move between these strata (both up and down). Their worlds are gloriously opulent. Think of it as Imperial Rome at its height: Intolerant. Glorious. Flamboyant. Proud. Compare this with the Federation, where there are slums and mass poverty, despite being in an ostensibly free democracy. In many ways it is just as ‘dog-eat-dog’ too. Between the two we have the rag-bag of independent worlds. There is the loose ‘Alliance’ within them (think of this as present-day Europe), and a mass of other worlds with variable levels of governments, some of which are at war, either civil wars or with adjacent systems (think present-day Africa).

Just about every type of society and political system exists somewhere. A great place for good people, but also assassins, pirates, mercenaries, freedom fighters – endless opportunity. Your favourite character or story is out there. You just have to bring them out!
by David Braben

We will pass rewards from the Writer’s Package of the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter to our contributors:

Top author who has contributed most words of fiction writing for Elite Chronicles online
■Have a frontier star system named* after you in the Elite: Dangerous Game

Top author with the highest rating (highest number of 5-star rating)
■Be a “Commander Jameson” - have a reserved commander name* xxxx Jameson (eg Commander Peter Jameson etc) in the Elite: Dangerous Game

Top Reader who has contributed most number of comments
■Have a planet named* after you in the Elite: Dangerous Game

Top Reader who has contributed the highest number of words in their comments
■Have a space station named* after you in the Elite: Dangerous Game

Top Participator who has contributed most words online for Elite Chronicles (fiction writing + commenting) in March
■Participate in the private alpha test of the Elite: Dangerous Game

*Please note all the above are subject to Frontier’s approval.

We are now offering book cover design for the first 10 authors.
To qualify, please provide:
• your book title, author's name
• a short introduction to your story, no more than 150 words please. (These are the writing normally found at the back of the book to promote sales.)
• first 300 words of your writing
The book cover will be done by professional artists. All backer who backed for Writer's Package will automatically get these, but you are still required to provide the information on the forum, and inform us that you are a backer of Writer's Package.
Yes, you can freely start your book with your own style, your own character. You can decide how long you want your story to be. If you have any questions, just ask.
Our artist will contact you personally, so please provide your email address. Please be aware the book cover we provide are in 300*450 resolution.The “book cover” we provide will look exactly like a book cover, but it would be an image representing your writing, rather than a physical book cover printed for you. So it would be promotional material which is presented on your author page and on the Front Page of our website. It could represent your short novel or just for a chapter you want to write.

Interview Questions
Michael Brookes, author of the official sequel to “The Dark Wheel”, has kindly let us interview him next week in Cambridge. We will have opportunities to ask him questions related to Elite Dangerous Books. We would like to select some questions from backers to ask him as well. So please do post your questions here.

Writing Tips
The best strategy to attract readers online is REGULAR UPDATE. The most effective rule is : update 3k words a day. It would be best to start write now, so you can have a bit saving of your writing to cover the rainy days.

More tips will follow.

photo-full.jpg

http://kck.st/UmXwu5

Thanks for all your support. Elite Chronicles is funded. Elite Chronicles is a crowd-writing initiative based in the Elite: Dangerous Universe. Everyone can write, read and vote.

The book will be centred around one main character created by the winning author (voted for by you, the community). The main character will interact with various other characters through the adventure. These other characters will also have have their own self-contained mini stories. The most liked characters/mini stories (voted for by you) will be selected to be included in the final book. This technique is often used in other mediums, such as the TV series Star Trek, X-files, Heroes and films such as Sin City, Traffic and Crash.

You can find more at our promotional website: http://elitechronicles.com/
Or you can follow us @EliteChronicles for the latest update.

We will maintain this thread to answer any questions you may have. We also appreciate any suggestions or ideas.[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
We will interview Michael quite soon, so anyone who is interested in asking Michael questions, please don't wait. :p

We will interview Michael quite soon, so anyone who is interested in asking Michael questions, please don't wait. :p

can you ask Micheal when we will see more good quality Elite artwork as im running out of images to use
namely more Ships and some decent Cobra artwork if you please.:D

Writers Package

Hi
I have the writers package: My name is Chand Svare Ghei (http://chasvag.com). I am a hobby writer, but till now have only written in norwegian. For my Elite Chronicles story I have the working title: "Lost, astray and all alone." It will be about a person, probably female, which is fugitive and shot down and has to do an emergency landing on something which seems like a hostile planet, but in fact will be home to one person only. I have not had time to write any words yet, but will try to get my act together after this years carnival.

- C

Top author who has contributed most words of fiction writing for Elite Chronicles online
■Have a frontier star system named* after you in the Elite: Dangerous Game

While this is bloody cool and I can see it driving people to submit more, I'd hope there was some kind of qualification going on here - is there nothing to stop someone just submitting miles and miles of complete nonsense and winning by default?

Is this really 'most words accepted into the final work' or is it actually just 'most words uploaded to the server?'

I don't object to high word counts being rewarded, not in the slightest, but should they be rewarded with the largest prize?

While this is bloody cool and I can see it driving people to submit more, I'd hope there was some kind of qualification going on here - is there nothing to stop someone just submitting miles and miles of complete nonsense and winning by default?

Is this really 'most words accepted into the final work' or is it actually just 'most words uploaded to the server?'

I don't object to high word counts being rewarded, not in the slightest, but should they be rewarded with the largest prize?

thx, that raised a very important point.

First, our editor Laura will make sure there is abo****ely no non-sense writing on our site. She's got a small team of proofreader already, and we are still actively hiring more. So, if someone is trying to cheat the system by doing something harmful, then we will block their IP out instantly.

Secondly, I think you are right. I set this one up to give people more incentives to particilate, so the emphasise is you don't have to be a talented writer to win this, you can win this if you give your best shot, simply by trying to write more. But I think you are right, there is no point for someone to produce bad writing so he/she can upload more words. So I am thinking of attaching a condition that the author's average post (chapter) rating has to be 3 stars or above.
Any thoughts?

A Sample for you to use if you wish.

elitedangerouschronicles_zps429358c2.jpg

Thx, that really cool. Although we are holding back on our printed book cover for now, untill we have selected the stories.

I will get our chief artist James to contact you for details. :)

Hi
I have the writers package: My name is Chand Svare Ghei (http://chasvag.com). I am a hobby writer, but till now have only written in norwegian. For my Elite Chronicles story I have the working title: "Lost, astray and all alone." It will be about a person, probably female, which is fugitive and shot down and has to do an emergency landing on something which seems like a hostile planet, but in fact will be home to one person only. I have not had time to write any words yet, but will try to get my act together after this years carnival.

- C

It would be great to get to read your 1st Charpter.

thx, that raised a very important point.

First, our editor Laura will make sure there is abo****ely no non-sense writing on our site. She's got a small team of proofreader already, and we are still actively hiring more. So, if someone is trying to cheat the system by doing something harmful, then we will block their IP out instantly.

Secondly, I think you are right. I set this one up to give people more incentives to particilate, so the emphasise is you don't have to be a talented writer to win this, you can win this if you give your best shot, simply by trying to write more. But I think you are right, there is no point for someone to produce bad writing so he/she can upload more words. So I am thinking of attaching a condition that the author's average post (chapter) rating has to be 3 stars or above.
Any thoughts?

I think setting a minimum standard for qualification is fair enough, going to need to ensure that everyone gets to vote just once (I.E. no duplicate accounts to jack up your own score)

I don't know how you plan to set it up but i would imagine the vote/chapters not being public and restricted to contributors/pledge's only.

The group nature of the project is going to need a lot of proof readers, i would also consider investing in a group membership/usage of a site like grammarly.com or autocrit so that authors can polish out the errors before submission as I know my punctuation sucks.

I've got a years sub to autocrit already, trying to see if i can scrape the cash for grammarly as well but that's $60 a quarter so a bit much for me to afford right now.

btw, Laura is also recruiting writers as well, I just got asked :cool:

if anyone wants a peek at what I've written so far just have a look at the Space Storm thread, the 1st chapter would be quite easy to adapt into a courier mission to deliver important info to a main character and besides the pilot of that ship i also have Cassie, the ex space station docking controller, Julian the station security guard and a few others that already have a bit of back story written.

Top Bottom