Community Event / Creation Speed Bowl Championships - ANNOUNCEMENT

Right then ... back out here in the Asp, but this time heavily stripped down (even dumped surplus fuel) and with better thrusters. First problem was finding planet A7. With no discovery scanner, I could see A6 and A8 but no A7. Thought I was gonna have to wait for another cmdr to tow me in but in the end I found it by eyeballing parallax movements around A6. Another cmdr showed up to help anyway (sorry mate, temporarily forgotten your name) and we both lined up our runs. I took mine as a cautious practice after what happened on the last Asp run and started to pull out at 120km. Hit around 7.25k and actually managed to stop fairly easily so tomorrow I'm gonna mow the proverbial lawn with it! The other commander didn't fair so well tho. He was getting the hang of it I think (hit 5k) but then I saw bad news from the wing signal ... bought the farm!

Alas RL but I'll be trying for real tomorrow.

Last edited:
Does your survival screenshot count if you're at 0 m/s ... but also at zero altitude, and upside down?

lol. REALLY good fun.

o7 to Cmdr Timsk who was friendly enough to wing direct me to location and also for not laughing TOO hard at my turtle impression. Screenshotted 8.24k in 'as you were' Dolphin (no weps but SRV equipped) but my potato (and waaaay underspec) laptop decided not to recalibrate the altimeter once I hit 150km and then quit rendering terrain too, leaving me no frame of reference whatsoever. Amazed I survived as long at I did, I did take a photo of the ground rocks, while the gravity slowly crunched my hull .. woke up at New Growth, older but not necessarily wiser enough not to have another crack tomorrow because I really enjoyed that.

Last edited:
Right then ... back out here in the Asp, but this time heavily stripped down (even dumped surplus fuel) and with better thrusters. First problem was finding planet A7. With no discovery scanner, I could see A6 and A8 but no A7. Thought I was gonna have to wait for another cmdr to tow me in but in the end I found it by eyeballing parallax movements around A6. Another cmdr showed up to help anyway (sorry mate, temporarily forgotten your name) and we both lined up our runs. I toom mine as a cautious practice after what happened on the last Asp run and started to pull out at 120km. Hit around 7.25k and actually managed to pull up and stop fairly easily so tomorrow I'm gonna mow the proverbial lawn with it! The other commander didn't fair so well tho. He was getting the hang of it I think (hit 5k) but then I saw bad news from the wing signal ... bought the farm!

Alas RL but I'll be trying for real tomorrow.

Had the same problem yesterday. Luckily, I was able to find it by using parallax between orbit lines for A 6 and A 8. I know that place frightenly well by now....

Incoming submission:

CMDR Markzx59
Ship: Screech II
Ship Type: Imperial Eagle
Start Altitude: 500km
End Altitude: 6.76km
Speed: 8504 m/s

35JFjOo.png

4ey8uU6.png

57nJbh9.png

Last edited:
OK, I've had three goes this afternoon, my hands are shaking and I need a drink so I'm gonna call it quits there. I reckon' I could maybe squeeze another 200m/s out of this brick if I really REALLY tried (and if I scraped the ground, which I reckon' I probably could now) but I think this will have to do for today.

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship name: The Wedding Anniversary
Ship type: Asp Explorer
Start altitude: 500km
End altitude: 28.9km

Speed: 8,647m/s

seQH6PC.png

U8A0jab.png

jSNC7VY.png
Sorry Cmdr Markzx59 ... did you enjoy your time on the podum? :p

Edit: for the record my other two runs were 8,179m/s at 58km and 8,327m/s at 49km.

Edit 2: and here's the Wedding Anniversary looking mean and not at all like a racing ship!

uGFO5oZ.png

Last edited:
OK, I've had two goes just now, my left (thruster) hand is shaking and I had a couple of nice glasses with lunch, and I'm gonna call it quits. I reckon' I could maybe squeeze more if I knew what I was doing and how to avoid those odd times it stops accelerating (and how to stop quickly), but I dont! And OK I know it doesnt hurt the scorers, but I had an absolute blast, so I tip my remlok to you guys for thinking of it, publicising it, and doing it. My Cobra now smells a little like Ive been hauling biowaste tho...

Cmdr: Rev Monty Pomms
Ship name: Bad Habit
Ship type: The best in the game, obviously (Cobra III, duh)
Start altitude: 499km
End altitude: 16.2km
Speed: 8,102 (with nary a narky controller telling me to mind my speed or dish out fines for speeding)

My unengineered Cobra (with cargo of Tea) wondering if this really is a good idea
pNklfZTh.jpg

Well, I say unengineered, I did fit it with A7 Thrusters
y2CtaRlh.jpg

Never have I been so happy to see a full stop.
mf9nzLTh.jpg

Edit: for the record, this was my second run of the weekend (after a practise during the week). The first one got to 7900ish, and a perfect Shrove Tuesday maneuver. Sometimes you are the windscreen, some times the bug.

Off to have a little lie down and strong cup of tea.

2W5ewrAt.jpg

The Rev

Shy of any all time records, Dolphin Izabel (G5 clean) broke 8.5 km/s target with a personal best 8,506 mps.

See screenshot two posts below, I hope to be considered an entry as posting here inside alloted hours at location. Fantastique championship, up there with SRVBASE as some of the best extreme sport in the cosmos. Double o7 to the organisers.

For anecdote lost thrusters at 500km (bad!) when comms equipment malfunctionisation (comms vs typing!) interfered with flight guidance (wrong button!) and I tumbled out of control. 100km before stabilised by which time my ship systems, including FSD down to 21% were medium to well melted!

Plugged in at New Growth now though, for hairy scary but ship secured .. cold one. Well done all + winners.

Last edited:
Shy of any all time records, Dolphin Izabel (G5 clean) broke 8.5 km/s target with a personal best 8,506 mps.

A bit lost in screenshots but available on request, I hope to be considered an entry inside alloted hours at location

Post your personal bests in the next 24 hours and we can add you to the final leader board Cmdr ! Welcome to the 8K club !

Post your personal bests in the next 24 hours and we can add you to the final leader board Cmdr ! Welcome to the 8K club !

Thanks Commander.
I took that many screengrabs that all look the same ...
Sorting those will wake you up in the morning .. and 8.5 km/sec will too!

PB. 8,506 mps o7

46903x1108.jpg

46902x8210.jpg

46901x2005.jpg

Greeting fellow Speed Bowlers!

I've made a video of my 8,647m/s Asp Explorer run.

Obviously it's fairly dull to the uninitiated so I've livened it up a bit with some big beat acid jazz courtesy of Exploding Plastix!

To everyone bold and/or crazy enough to have taken a crack at this fantastic event ... More Powah To Yah!

[video=youtube_share;1yjh1S7OPyg]https://youtu.be/1yjh1S7OPyg[/video]

P.S. note how the galaxy slowly rises up over the horizon! A nice bonus from the time of day I happened to be doing my run. :cool:

Last edited:
Can't stress enough how much fun this has been, congratulations to the winner Cmdr Sanderling, everyone who took part and of course to Cmdrs Primetimecasual and Halo Jones for creating and hosting the event! Gripping stuff, especially when approaching the last 10 km of altitude. :eek:

I can say I'm more than satisfied of my final 9012 m/s, I surely had room for improvement but between the lack of available time and the constant distraction of a mildly annoying cold/fever (the same fever that prevented any possible attempt from me on Saturday), I'm extremely happy of being one of the only two members of the 9k club, a way better outcome than I expected.

Video of my 9012 m/s glide follows (I traded 20 minutes of boring FA off glide in exchange for a minor seizure risk, sorry everyone :p):

[video=youtube_share;zL6PFohs95c]https://youtu.be/zL6PFohs95c[/video]

Lowest absolute altitude I reached in that run has been 1.17 km, and after a previous (but not as fast) run that felt somewhat on the safe side:

CxPtvcm

CxPtvcm.jpg

And that's just about everything from me from Ludicrosity Crater on Chi Hydrae A7, time to take the Spirit Of Shenanigan where no commander has rebought before...

qeQFPBZ.jpg

So long, and thanks for everything! (no fish this time)

Can't stress enough how much fun this has been, congratulations to the winner Cmdr Sanderling, everyone who took part and of course to Cmdrs Primetimecasual and Halo Jones for creating and hosting the event! Gripping stuff, especially when approaching the last 10 km of altitude. :eek:

I can say I'm more than satisfied of my final 9012 m/s, I surely had room for improvement but between the lack of available time and the constant distraction of a mildly annoying cold/fever (the same fever that prevented any possible attempt from me on Saturday), I'm extremely happy of being one of the only two members of the 9k club, a way better outcome than I expected.

Video of my 9012 m/s glide follows (I traded 20 minutes of boring FA off glide in exchange for a minor seizure risk, sorry everyone :p):

Lowest absolute altitude I reached in that run has been 1.17 km, and after a previous (but not as fast) run that felt somewhat on the safe side:

And that's just about everything from me from Ludicrosity Crater on Chi Hydrae A7, time to take the Spirit Of Shenanigan where no commander has rebought before...

So long, and thanks for everything! (no fish this time)

Already repped this video elsewhere but man - I LOVE that (gonna stick it on the iPad and watch it again on the train).

[yesnod]

What's really interesting is how different your angle of attack is to mine. I spent most of my run at around -4 whereas you seem to spend most of yours at +15. I don't know if that's the ship (AspX vs. Viper) or just a different technique (I confess I didn't follow many of the technique discussion on Discord over the weekend).

What's really interesting is how different your angle of attack is to mine. I spent most of my run at around -4 whereas you seem to spend most of yours at +15.

That's what I was going to say after watching your video Alec, I spent my descent with nose up too. Might be an effect of which side of optimum mass your thrusters are? In a small ship you're generally close to but likely above optimum but larger ships perhaps err on the low side of optimal mass? Nose up makes hardly any sense when you think about it (up vertical thruster would seem to slow you down as it's vecoring behind you) but that's where my Dolphin seemed to gain most speed for minimal fall too.

A quick note for Cmdr Over; apologies for mess about getting you those screenshots, so many thanks for entering my speed on the board. I play on PC for info ... and as such even sighted Cmdr Turner in orbit. o7's.

Top Bottom