Show us your interesting discoveries!

We have some great screenshot threads already, but I figured it was about time we had a thread for sharing interesting finds of all kinds. One of the things that made me want a thread like this, is this recent discussion about a hazy "atmospheric" world.

Please feel free to share anything you have come across, whether it's your own discovery or not. This can be anything truly rare, or just a cool planetary alignment, unusual orbits, unusually large or small bodies, or even just a scenic view. Anything that was interesting in some way that made you take notice, but perhaps doesn't warrant a POI in the GMP (or maybe it does!).

Please put screenshots inside spoiler tags, and also use one set of tags per find, rather than per screenshot. Until the forum has an "expand all" button, it'll probably be easiest this way. This is more of a guideline than a rule. ;)

---

I'll start by sharing a few basic but interesting things I stumbled upon this past week:

1. Tight binary pair of moons orbiting a terrestrial world. Binary planets are very common, as are binary moons that orbit gas giants, but I don't often find them orbiting a terrestrial planet like this, especially so close together. I can't help but feel like they're inside each other's Roche limit, but I haven't done the math.

2018-05-13%2000-44-44%20Byaa%20Euq%20QS-T%20d3-38_4.jpg

2018-05-13%2000-44-10%20Byaa%20Euq%20QS-T%20d3-38.jpg

2018-05-13%2000-47-12%20Byaa%20Euq%20QS-T%20d3-38_1.jpg

2018-05-13%2000-49-07%20Byaa%20Euq%20QS-T%20d3-38.jpg

2. A very large ring system. I can't remember the last time that I saw a ring system like this that was large enough to be clearly visible from the arrival point, despite being over 7,000 ls from arrival. The rings are thin and dim, but extend out to almost 60 ls (radius) from the planet. Additionally it was orbited by a gas giant moon, with its own moons. This one is within a couple of jumps of Rohini, along the Colonia road.

2018-05-16%2000-25-48%20Lysoosms%20OM-W%20d1-52_2.jpg

2018-05-16%2000-29-02%20Lysoosms%20OM-W%20d1-52.jpg

2018-05-16%2000-25-15%20Lysoosms%20OM-W%20d1-52.jpg

Last edited:
I have found this system with an ELW with a landable moon orbiting four stars, in November 2015, and I could never decide if it is worth to post it as a POI in the GMP, but here I do it now. I needed 3 visits (with all my 3 CMDRs) to finally catch these views in November 2016. The system is GRAEA BYIO EP-L B55-0.

Not in Spoilers, that does not work with an Imgur Album, I hope it's okay :)

[imgur]GCP2a[/imgur]

@ Stulli: Given that ELWs co-orbiting four stars are very rare (current total on the ELW list: 20 such ELWs out of 12,689), and it even has a landable moon, I say you should post it on the GMP too.

I'll post a few things here later, just gonna need to gather them first.

An ELW orbiting a T brown dwarf (edsm: https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/24627463/name/Fleckaea+QV-C+c29-0):
it has a 4 day orbit! Not a record-setter but still pretty neat[big grin]
Oh, it's more than pretty neat: Earth-likes orbiting class T dwarfs are incredibly rare. Out of the current 12,689 on the ELW list, only two others have been found. So, congrats on your find! Would you mind it if I added yours as well? Although I'll need a system map screenshot of it, but you can call that up from anywhere.
I'd also recommend posting it on the GMP.

As for an interesting discovery that's not on the GMP, but I still liked: a ringed Earth-like world that's binary paired with a gas giant, in a system that's inside a nebula. Here are a couple of screenshots:

The system is Dryaea Flee PP-E c25-828, not far from Colonia, if you wish to swing by.

It was also memorable to me because of how I discovered it. I planned to swing by the nebula on my way farther out, and then someone asked on the forums about what kinds of systems might have better chances of ringed Earth-likes. I told them that they should look at F and perhaps A, what with the widest habitable zones and the larger available mass in the system. After this, I decided to hang around the nebula a bit, see what I can find. Within half an hour, I find this Earth-like... I hope the other Commander found a ringed one quickly as well! (Although this one's around a G star.)

A similar find that is on the GMP: Dryaea Flee GC-D d12-3089, Regal and Celerity. It's inside the same nebula as well. This Earth-like is the moon of a gas giant, and orbits it very closely: for a good while, it was the record holder of the shortest orbital period for a natural (procedurally generated and not terraformed) Earth-like. Since the giant it orbits is ringed, there'd be some pretty good views down there.
Couple of screenshots as well:

Last edited:
Oh, it's more than pretty neat: Earth-likes orbiting class T dwarfs are incredibly rare. Out of the current 12,689 on the ELW list, only two others have been found. So, congrats on your find! Would you mind it if I added yours as well? Although I'll need a system map screenshot of it, but you can call that up from anywhere.
I'd also recommend posting it on the GMP.
Ah. I knew i'd found something rare, but i didn't quite realize how rare--very cool!

The system is Dryaea Flee PP-E c25-828, not far from Colonia, if you wish to swing by.
I'm heading to Colonia for the CG--i think i'll check it out[smile]

cheers[big grin]

o7

edit: oh, here's a system map cap:

Last edited:
Ah. I knew i'd found something rare, but i didn't quite realize how rare--very cool!
Yup. The thing is, the habitable zone of a T dwarf by itself is too small and close... but if there are other stars nearby, they can help "extend" it, if you will. However, when it comes to dwarf stars, many times the Earth-like will end up co-orbiting the other stars as well. In your find's case, there's only an L dwarf close by: close enough that it helps heat the ELW, far enough that the planet doesn't end up co-orbiting both stars.

Top Bottom