Powerplay When is the Federation having a presidential election????

Felicia Winters for Fed. President!
Okay....I've been playing for approximately 4 years now. And, as yet, NO ELECTION for Federation President? My guess was that the office of President was subject to a 4-year term at which point all citizens of the Federation could vote for the executive in a presidential election. Well — where is it????

I, for one, am tired of Hudson's failed and militaristic policies guiding Humanity. He has no strategy for dealing with the Thargoid threat and the Alliance has been making gains in the past year or so at the expense of the Federation! If that's not a vote of no-confidence in the executive, I don't know what is.

So when can we expect a vote in the Federation?

For that matter, what about the Imperial Senate? And what about the Alliance parliament?

Anyone have any answers on this? My next vote will be going to Felicia Winters....whenever election day comes.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/President_of_the_Federation

Wiki said:
The Federal President is elected for a single term of eight years by the citizens of the Federation.[1] After an election, the president-elect is sworn into office as the President during the Federation Presidential Inauguration.[2] Four years into that term, a Vote of Confidence by the people is automatically held. If the incumbent President wins the vote, then he or she is allowed to complete the term. If they lose the vote, then a new presidential election is held and the incumbent President can be potentially replaced. Presidents cannot serve multiple consecutive terms.

It would be cool if Commanders Allied to the Federation could vote :D

(I'm not one of them!)

For that matter, what about the Imperial Senate?

Elections in an Empire. What a sweet idea.

From the 'Government and Politics in ED' FAQ:

How are Senators selected / appointed?

There are no elections.

A Senator represents a group of Patrons, who in turn represent Clients, and each of those represents a group of Citizens. This representation is public. Anyone can see who is currently supporting each Senator (Patron, Client), and their numbers. There are 1,000 Senators by Imperial Decree, dating back to the first Emperor a thousand years ago. A very popular Patron can petition to become a Senator if he or she thinks they could represent more Citizens than one of the least popular Senators. That less popular Senator the petitioner chooses to target has the opportunity to rally support against the challenger for seven days, but as does the popular Patron, and at the end of that period a decision is made based on their support, and that Patron cannot petition again for 1 Earth year if they are unsuccessful. Similarly a deposed Senator cannot petition to become a Senator again for a year. Posting a petition has a cost (1 Bn CR, paid to the Emperor) to prevent time wasters, which is returned if the petition succeeds.

When a Senator dies or chooses to retire, usually their chosen successor takes their Senatorial seat. Most Senators will have such a chosen successor already working closely in their entourage, and familiar and friendly with their most powerful Patrons so continuity is assured; as a result generally their petitions are unopposed. Sometimes multiple petitions are made for the same Senatorial opening, which can happen when a Senator and their entourage dies in the same event, so this is the nearest the Empire gets to an election, with the most popular succeeding in their petition.

Felicia Winters was the Acting President for early Power Play, after Halsey vanished.

There was a no confidence vote that went against Winters that made Hudson president back in 3301.

Here we go, I found my sources. To follow the timeline, 1.3 and Powerplay went live on 5 June 2015/3301.

On 26 May, President Jasmina Halsey missed a meeting in Saga, and within hours, Secretary of State Felicia Winters was declared acting President of the Federation.

As detailed in GalNet Beacon 0180, Congressional Streamlining, the traditional two four year terms was replaced by a single eight year term, with a no confidence vote after four years.

Then Shadow President Zachary Hudson was building support for a No Confidence Vote against Halsey, and made that call public on 29 May 3301, despite Halsey's disappearance. President Felicia Winters disagreed with Hudson's fear-mongering, but the process allowed for the vote.

The vote occurred on the 1 June 3301, and if you read GalNet, you'll see that both parties were favoured, but one was more favoured than the other, which, honestly, makes no sense, but okay, we'll let FDev have it that way. The next day, it was reported that 66% of Federal Congress voted to remove the Liberal Administration from office.

So, after checking the sources, it appears that my memory has been flawed. Power Play did not have any impact upon the last Federal Election.

The next we see of Hudson in GalNet is the short introduction from the end of the month. Shadow President Winters had her article a couple days earlier. One interesting aspect of that whole Starship One debacle is that Felicia Winters was 3rd in line to lead the Liberal Party at the start of the year. Jasmina Halsey was President, Nigel Smeaton was her Vice President, and after Smeaton died in an 'accident', Halsey couldn't find a replacement VP until Ethan Naylor, the Congressman of Siren, was appointed. Naylor was on Starship One. Those deaths and disappearances left Felicia Winters in charge of the Liberal Party.

While we can mark the date of Powerplay leaving beta and hitting the live server as when Powerplay started affecting the galactic narrative, this is clearly inaccurate, as the Kumo Crew arrived three weeks previous.

So, if you're waiting for a Federal Vote of No Confidence in Zachary Hudson, you have 4 years from 2 June 3301. That will put it at 13 months away.

There is not vote of no confidence in the Emperor.

EDIT: Though it is interesting to point out that the past 4 years have seen the loss of at least 3 Senators, and no announcement of who their replacements are. (Kahina Tijani Loren, Arissa Lavigny-Duval, and Nestor Cartesius)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who responded! This helps a great deal....the next Federation election date is set for sometime in June 3305, by the sounds of it so that answers at least one question. Another was answered about the Empire — sounds like the Imperial Senate has a very complicated setup that could offer plenty of intrigue if a writer wanted to take advantage of it! (Perhaps I will at some point...wonder if my submission would be considered by Frontier?)

The only outstanding authority is that governing the Alliance. This is a bit surprising given the Alliance's heritage as a Parliamentary democracy (like Great Britain, where Elite Dangerous is written). As a Canadian, I'd be particularly in hearing more on this subject if anyone knows anything. The online info I've added to my understanding seems a bit scarce.

For those who care, I've started to summarize what I've learned in a browser-compatible document form here: http://bit.ly/ElitePowers — comments, suggestions and edits are all welcome!

Very gratefully,

Thanks to everyone who responded! This helps a great deal....the next Federation election date is set for sometime in June 3305, by the sounds of it so that answers at least one question. Another was answered about the Empire — sounds like the Imperial Senate has a very complicated setup that could offer plenty of intrigue if a writer wanted to take advantage of it! (Perhaps I will at some point...wonder if my submission would be considered by Frontier?)

The only outstanding authority is that governing the Alliance. This is a bit surprising given the Alliance's heritage as a Parliamentary democracy (like Great Britain, where Elite Dangerous is written). As a Canadian, I'd be particularly in hearing more on this subject if anyone knows anything. The online info I've added to my understanding seems a bit scarce.

For those who care, I've started to summarize what I've learned in a browser-compatible document form here: http://bit.ly/ElitePowers — comments, suggestions and edits are all welcome!

Very gratefully,

Alliance information can be found here, in the link maehara provided.

Each Alliance Member State has a number of Council Members within the Alliance Assembly, based on the size of their respective populations. Some only have one. The Prime Minister is elected by the Members, and it is his or her job to corral them into some sort of consensus; generally a slow process. There is much less tradition than in the other powers, and processes within the Alliance Assembly are still subject to change – generally when arguments break out, as they frequently do. In practice the Alliance is largely run by Civil Servants – salaried officials that look after day to day running of the Alliance, generally not getting involved in the political struggles.
The Alliance Defence Force is run by the six member Council of Admirals, independently from the Council of Members, but reporting to it after the event, to facilitate rapid decision-making. Each of these Admirals is from a key contributing Navy.

In theory the Prime Minister is elected for six years, but disputes within the Assembly have meant that the PM often doesn’t make it that long. They can suffer votes against them, often resulting in resignation, or occasionally votes of not confidence. They can serve multiple terms, but none have manages to do so yet.

Edmond Mahon's first entry in GalNet as Prime Minister dates from 11 March 3301. This does not mean that's when he was elected.

This was great:
· How does the Council respond in terms of political representation, when a member system's Minor Faction flips?
If this happens within a Member State, then depending on the rules of that Member State it could change who represents them in the Assembly – but given that the Assembly rarely gets anything done, it is unlikely anyone will notice.

Essentially, don't think of Edmon Mahon as similar to Churchill or Teresa May, but more like Antonio Tajani or Martin Schulz, Presidents of the European Parliament. The main difference is that Edmond Mahon would be the public face of the entire Alliance, despite his personal responsibilities and power not being very impressive. According to Premonition, we should be assuming that the Prime Minister has some direct authority over what passes for the Alliance secret service, though the only thing that is made clear is that he could pull someone off a deep cover mission and give another mission directly to a single low level Alliance Operative. It's not clear that he controls the entire 'operations branch'.

If we're going by the six year term, and if we're going to guess that 11 March 3301 was early in his term, the Alliance should have an election anytime between now (May 3304) and March 3307.

Of course, aside from former Federation President Jasmina Halsey, a dead Admiral, and Victoria Wolf of player faction fame, there is not another well known member of the Alliance, let alone a member of the Alliance Council of Member States. I guess we do have (burned Alliance Operative) Tsu Annabelle Singh and Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride (presumably of Interpol).

Top Bottom