Banned
HMS Ocean is looking good.

YRQJN25l.jpg

And Hermes looks the part.

[video=youtube_share;hvm-u0BSnaU]https://youtu.be/hvm-u0BSnaU[/video]

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
There's no way it'll happen any time soon if ever, but I'd kill for helicopter ASW operations in DCS.

I doubt that will ever happen tbh.

If you're after that pick up Dangerous Waters; its got ASW action from both MPA, helo and skimmer perspective

HMS Ocean is looking good.

When do they model from ? Launch ? HMS Ocean looks like she has 996 in the model which was replaced with 997 in refit. I went on her at build in Barrow, I cannot believe she has been sold to Brazil .....

Not really played DCS ... But that is about to change, DCS World is coming down at the moment:

dcs_Capture.jpg

Edit: Ignore the question about modelling date. I have found the Hermes model and noticed it is a Community Model!! Which is very impressive and states the date.

Last edited:
I doubt that will ever happen tbh.

If you're after that pick up Dangerous Waters; its got ASW action from both MPA, helo and skimmer perspective

But it doesn't come with DCS rotary physics. That's where I want my Dauphin or my Seahawk. :)

I'll still pick up DW at some point though. Just don't have the required time to invest into it just now.

But it doesn't come with DCS rotary physics. That's where I want my Dauphin or my Seahawk. :)

I'll still pick up DW at some point though. Just don't have the required time to invest into it just now.

Rotary physics? What you need them for when flying over a flat plain of water? Sound physics is what you need. I doubt DCS would be able to simulate proper sonar mechanics. Rotary phsics are for flying urban theater - at 6 feet altitude!

Decided to revisit this, never quite managed to get into it. Downloading as I type. Quick question though, have they massively jacked the prices of the DLC's up? Really don't remember them being that expensive last time I looked.

Leatest news for DCS Steam users:

From the updated FAQ

Q: Will the Hornet also be available on Steam?
A: Certainly, and we plan to release it and the Persian Gulf map for Steam on Friday, the 1st of June 2018.

Please note that they were able to bring you the release earlier, but the discount will only be available to standalone users. If you need the discount, then consider switching to the standalone, or wait for a Steam sale.

due to demand from Steam users they will put F/A just after stand alone :)

Decided to revisit this, never quite managed to get into it. Downloading as I type. Quick question though, have they massively jacked the prices of the DLC's up? Really don't remember them being that expensive last time I looked.

Yeah they announced few months ago that prices will go up.

Last edited:
Iirc yes there was a dlc price increase. That said, know that there are two kinds of DLCs for planes/helos:
- the old "low fidelity" ones, which are all the airplanes from Flaming Cliffs 3. You can get FC3 and have them all, or pick them up individually. In terms of modelling and controls, they're equivalent to the Su-25T that you get for free with the client. They're on the cheap side.
- the other stuff, which aims for as much realism as possible (full clickable cockpits, better flight models, etc) and that is much more expensive

A funny one is the A-10 which comes in both flavours: the A-10A is an FC3 plane, whereas the A-10C is the expensive standalone. Honestly, for someone just getting into it, I'd highly recommend picking up FC3 whenever it's on sale. It's not the same experience as a high-fidelity module, but it'll keep you busy for a while and provide you with plenty of toys to fool around with and do so on a budge. FC3 includes the standard Su-25 too, which is neat if you enjoy old-school ground pounding with cannons, bombs and rockets. The free Su-25T is far more focused on missiles and noticeably heavier.

Once you know you're enjoying it, keep an eye on sales and pick up the high-end module of your choice at a discount. A single module should keep you busy for a long time. Of course, if you're into helicopters, there's no FC3 option, it's straight to the big expensive modules.

Iirc yes there was a dlc price increase. That said, know that there are two kinds of DLCs for planes/helos: - the old "low fidelity" ones, which are all the airplanes from Flaming Cliffs 3. You can get FC3 and have them all, or pick them up individually. In terms of modelling and controls, they're equivalent to the Su-25T that you get for free with the client. They're on the cheap side. - the other stuff, which aims for as much realism as possible (full clickable cockpits, better flight models, etc) and that is much more expensive A funny one is the A-10 which comes in both flavours: the A-10A is an FC3 plane, whereas the A-10C is the expensive standalone. Honestly, for someone just getting into it, I'd highly recommend picking up FC3 whenever it's on sale. It's not the same experience as a high-fidelity module, but it'll keep you busy for a while and provide you with plenty of toys to fool around with and do so on a budge. FC3 includes the standard Su-25 too, which is neat if you enjoy old-school ground pounding with cannons, bombs and rockets. The free Su-25T is far more focused on missiles and noticeably heavier. Once you know you're enjoying it, keep an eye on sales and pick up the high-end module of your choice at a discount. A single module should keep you busy for a long time. Of course, if you're into helicopters, there's no FC3 option, it's straight to the big expensive modules.
Thanks for the overview :)

Just wait for a sale. I’d recommend checking what mission content is available before buying too. DCS can get very stale without good missions, and EAgle Dynamics updates have a tendency to break existing missions and campaigns.

I wrote a Huey Medevac campaign for DCS and jacked it in out of exasperation because of it.

It’s a great flight sim, but they are so hap hazard with their approach to development it can be quite frustrating.

Now I remember one of the reasons I gave up last time.....the ruddy awful default button assignment for X-55/X-56 joysticks.....

Why it insists on binding the same control to the same access on both the throttle and stick is beyond me......

The 2nd reason? Oh yeah, having a helpful plane speaking various warnings to me....in Russian. My English is bad enough and I was dragged up with that!

At least the 3rd reason no longer applies, I didn't have time to persevere past those annoyances, I do now :)

Just wait for a sale. I’d recommend checking what mission content is available before buying too. DCS can get very stale without good missions, and EAgle Dynamics updates have a tendency to break existing missions and campaigns.

I wrote a Huey Medevac campaign for DCS and jacked it in out of exasperation because of it.

It’s a great flight sim, but they are so hap hazard with their approach to development it can be quite frustrating.

How good are the helicopter campaigns?

Top Bottom