Are probes going to use another module slot limiting explorers

We'll see about that, it currently just sounds like trick shots
using the physics of gravitational pull and limpet movement vectors.

I welcome probes to the table, but wish for a fully integrated release,
there is so much stuff i could do with the little sensors as a pirate.

like... scan for cargo, tell em to eject X amount thereof and shoot the target for non-compliance?

By almost listening to the stream it was pretty clear to me that the detailed surface scanner would be the active controller for probe launching, not some other module. Probes sound like they will be handled like limpets, taking up cargo space, lowering jump range due to mass and requiring cargo racks to hold

Nope. Again, probes are ammo for the new DSS and won't take any cargo space. Confirmed on Lave radio.

From what I can remember from the alcohol addled evening at Lavecon...

The DDS drones will not take up cargo space, nor will they weigh anything, presumably they'll be akin to AFMU in those respects and the synthesis materials will be fairly common.

I don't recall if there was going to be any increase in the module size, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for larger ships to be able to equip larger modules.

Last edited:
like... scan for cargo, tell em to eject X amount thereof and shoot the target for non-compliance?

Sounded almost creative :D

Nah, for tracking targets, locating mining operations outside of the in system POIs,
finding landed ships on planets and creating a sensor cascade increasing SC scanner range, as surveillance.

I thought this new DSS would be "shooting" out probes, so maybe it will take up a weapon slot (how many of these are used on Exploration builds!)
They better not.

This is going to become a mandatory module for miners, so putting it in a weapon slot isn't going to work.

Unlike explorers, miners need weapons.

They better not.

This is going to become a mandatory module for miners, so putting it in a weapon slot isn't going to work.

Unlike explorers, miners need weapons.

Having ammo, like the AFMU, doesn't necessarily means it is a weapon, but I agree with you, it better doesn't use a generic slot and goes into a dedicated slot for certain ships :)

As a part timer explorer, generally between large content updates the new probes idea is a great addition. However I already find my choices in the ASP and Conda as an explorer limited. I prefer to be able to take low powered shields or hull repair along side module repair when I'm out in the black. Having shields and hull repair has saved me after planetary accidents a few times.

Are probes going to be yet a new module part? Essentially are explorers now forced to drop either the SRV bay, shields or hull repair options? I mean you need a fuel scoop, two scanners and an module repair unit thats 4 slots already.

Could these probes go on the same slots that heatsinks and shield boosters use to offset this problem? If you take hull repair you need cargo space... should hull repair requite drones moving forward?

Exploration ships will most likely get specific module slots like combat ships and passenger ships.

Exploration ships will most likely get specific module slots like combat ships and passenger ships.

:eek: but that would require that some ships have already been granted specific module slotting, making them specialized...

Hmm, I suppose you're right- some actually DO have such modules slots. ;)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Good news for my CM3. I don't have room for cargo space or another module, at least once i get the guardian booster in there.
And that's yet another module-related problem. My AspX is full. I have no spare slots and I'm unwilling to ditch my Shields, SRV, or AFMU.

FD keeps giving us more stuff we can't use, unless we fly an Anaconda. I hate the limited view from an Anaconda cockpit, so I simply won't fly it.

If FD wants players to fly the other ships, they need to rework the optional module slots, for example, by giving us a slot-splitter or a combined ADS / DDS module. Better still give us a ship's computer with separate slots for hardware and software, to hold ADS, DDS, Docking Computer, Limpet Controller, etc. That would also add gameplay options like disabling an opponent's ship computer with a malware attack. (For details, search the Suggestions forum.)

Last edited:
And that's yet another module-related problem. My AspX is full. I have no spare slots and I'm unwilling to ditch my Shields, SRV, or AFMU.

Don't worry, you can keep your current setup so you can keep doing current exploration, I'm fine with that. I for once embrace the change and will adapt.

FD keeps giving us more stuff we can't use, unless we fly an Anaconda.

Seriously?

Would be nice if they stopped making things "limpet" style and actually offered a module that worked like a drone bay instead with a limited capacity.

You'd still have to replace them (similar to SLF or SRV) but could lead to different styles of probes being available for the future, too.

If they start doing the pre-nerf the explorer thing with this, it will definitely be a reason for me to skip out after Q4.

I think one of the thoughts behind the DSS controlling the drones is that it won't require explorers who are already out in the deep black to return to the bubble to equip new stuff to access the new content, it will be updated with the release and they just need mats to mate new drones.

I think one of the thoughts behind the DSS controlling the drones is that it won't require explorers who are already out in the deep black to return to the bubble to equip new stuff to access the new content, it will be updated with the release and they just need mats to mate new drones.

That would be a really nice little touch for the explorers out there, considering how much love is needed, I'll second this.

FD keeps giving us more stuff we can't use, unless we fly an Anaconda. I hate the limited view from an Anaconda cockpit, so I simply won't fly it.

If FD wants players to fly the other ships, they need to rework the optional module slots, for example, by giving us a slot-splitter or a combined ADS / DDS module. Better still give us a ship's computer with separate slots for hardware and software, to hold ADS, DDS, Docking Computer, Limpet Controller, etc. That would also add gameplay options like disabling an opponent's ship computer with a malware attack. (For details, search the Suggestions forum.)

This actually could be resolved by simply making the probe interface and/or scanning equipment reside in the weapons slots/hardpoints of ships.

Explorers, after all usually don't kit out for "battle" when they're out doing such... your shields are usually minimal, you don't equip much armor, etc.

Sure, it could be problematic with the "I want to be ready for anything!" types- but for the vast majority of explorers, being able to equip specialized equipment in those slots would give us the ability to utilize something we rarely (if ever) use anyway.

I don't disagree with the idea of it... I'm just not a fan of the "limpet" direction.

Explorers, after all usually don't kit out for "battle" when they're out doing such... your shields are usually minimal, you don't equip much armor, etc.

...for the vast majority of explorers, being able to equip specialized equipment in those slots would give us the ability to utilize something we rarely (if ever) use anyway.
That works for me. My AspX has no weapons, not even a mining laser. I have a head sink launcher and that's it.

That works for me. My AspX has no weapons, not even a mining laser. I have a head sink launcher and that's it.

I usually don't equip weapons/armor for long-range Exploration on my DBX, either.

For most Explorers the argument of "kitting for battle to be ready for anything" is akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight and wearing cloth while the other person is wearing body armor. If you're facing an adversary who's in a combat engineered FDL you're almost guaranteed to lose, regardless of your attempt to defend yourself.

Interesting about the ammo for probes. I am pretty sure that whatever shoots the probes will be installed in the hardpoints (cannot give away my source ;) )

Top Bottom