David Braben of Frontier @ E3: "No Mods" (PCGamer)

1) Mod support doesn’t really make it harder to update and support the game, that’s a copout reason… When you update a game, its up to the modders to upkeep their mods

2) their reasoning about they can’t update the game because it would trash the mods is a weak argument… Every game out there that has plenty of mods have updates and the developers really don’t care if it breaks the mods

Even without mod support, players are going to MOD the game… The anti-tamper part of the game only protects the executable file… Even the devs of said so themselves when someone asked them on the steam forums about modding the game anyway. The data files of the game can be completely changed if somebody knows what they’re doing..and people are already doing it

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a game has to have mod support, But at least give more believable answers than in that article

I’ve been coding video game since 1986… I can tell when someone is giving a weak answer

Saw this and though people in the JWE forum might like to see it as I can't see it linked here:

"Frontier elaborates on why Jurassic World Evolution doesn't have mod support"

http://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-und...ic-world-evolution-mods-but-theres-a-balance/

thx.

I mean, I suppose I can see it their way, it is annoying to have mods broken by new patches. I suppose I don't really care enough to go either way, but generally I do prefer things being done by the developer. I know for Elite it can be a bit annoying messing with all the 3rd party stuff all the time, but it's simply difficult to not use them since they are generally very good and bring a lot of QoL to the game. Sometimes mods are good enough for me to want to check out, but I don't feel I'll really be missing out on them for JWE.

Last edited:
Mods are not the responsibility of the developer, and all users know that any mod that may break is their own risk. Developers should never have to worry about breaking them and should update as normal. The mod makers can then choose to update the mod to work with the new version, not the other way around. This is a non issue and they know this, having worked with mods before. It is an odd thing to say.

More likely, there is a licensing problem with Universal not wanting the name to be associated with whatever the public wants to use it for, and to keep control of it themselves. If it is that, I don't know why they don't just say that.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom hits cinemas next week, June 22. Braben says JWE will receive its first major update after that.

Also in the article, although a few new dinosaurs will come, I'm also eager to know if within this "major" also new features will be added :cool:

1) Mod support doesn’t really make it harder to update and support the game, that’s a copout reason… When you update a game, its up to the modders to upkeep their mods

2) their reasoning about they can’t update the game because it would trash the mods is a weak argument… Every game out there that has plenty of mods have updates and the developers really don’t care if it breaks the mods

Even without mod support, players are going to MOD the game… The anti-tamper part of the game only protects the executable file… Even the devs of said so themselves when someone asked them on the steam forums about modding the game anyway. The data files of the game can be completely changed if somebody knows what they’re doing..and people are already doing it

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a game has to have mod support, But at least give more believable answers than in that article

I’ve been coding video game since 1986… I can tell when someone is giving a weak answer

So basically Frontier is saying they don't want to mess up the mods and upset the fans of the game and you see this as something negative? Just look at what happened to the GTA games, especially GTA 4. Rockstar did an update for the game just last year after nearly a decade of it being an unoptimized mess they came along and fixed. It basically destroyed a bunch of mods. For a game that old that people won't be updating mods for. The game got negative reviews dumped on it on Steam.

I don't blame Frontier and I don't see it as a copout. It makes total sense if you see what goes on. Maybe when they are done with the game they will allow mods. But I suspect they don't cause they are using Universals intellectual property. People keep talking about Planet Coaster but that game doesn't use the intellectual property of another company.

So basically Frontier is saying they don't want to mess up the mods and upset the fans of the game and you see this as something negative? Just look at what happened to the GTA games, especially GTA 4. Rockstar did an update for the game just last year after nearly a decade of it being an unoptimized mess they came along and fixed. It basically destroyed a bunch of mods. For a game that old that people won't be updating mods for. The game got negative reviews dumped on it on Steam.

I don't blame Frontier and I don't see it as a copout. It makes total sense if you see what goes on. Maybe when they are done with the game they will allow mods. But I suspect they don't cause they are using Universals intellectual property. People keep talking about Planet Coaster but that game doesn't use the intellectual property of another company.

You have absolutely no clue its not their decision its only Universal. Thats why you cant kill them either because they wont allow it. Frontier has to say pretty much nothing they only fullfill the contract they have zero freedom as you can see in the shallowness. (PC proves they could do much better) You could make in PC a better JW then in this JW Games. Sad isnt it.

As a PC player I don't really care for mods a whole lot. From my experience most of them are garbage and don't work. I manage to get very few of them working right. I know that's odd coming from someone who plays games on a PC but that's just the way it is for me. It's not that I don't use mods. I have installed plenty of mod, that's how I know a lot of them don't work. Generally if I install a mod for a game I do it to fix the game. Not really to add a bunch of crazy stuff like a Bat Mobile and the Hulk. I know a lot of people like mods, but I don't care for them myself. I gave up trying to get the graphics enhancer for GTA 4 to work.

I would rather pay Frontier a little bit of money and get working content that looks professional than some garbage from an amateur, something that someone made for fun. I don't care if people use mods, I just don't use them a lot myself.

The mods will probably get slapped with DMCA complaints.
I make them on my Pc i will do whatever i want. How should it affect me explain? juts as an example. Just becauser you dont like mods and cant even run them as you said, you should get a console. Official Mods would SAVE THIS GAME FROM THE DEAD because it will be dead after a month i guarantee.When the hype train rool sof the kids even they will realize how boring it is . (The best graphics in the world cant help without gameplay)

As a PC player I don't really care for mods a whole lot. From my experience most of them are garbage and don't work. I manage to get very few of them working right. I know that's odd coming from someone who plays games on a PC but that's just the way it is for me. It's not that I don't use mods. I have installed plenty of mod, that's how I know a lot of them don't work. Generally if I install a mod for a game I do it to fix the game. Not really to add a bunch of crazy stuff like a Bat Mobile and the Hulk. I know a lot of people like mods, but I don't care for them myself. I gave up trying to get the graphics enhancer for GTA 4 to work.

I would rather pay Frontier a little bit of money and get working content that looks professional than some garbage from an amateur, something that someone made for fun. I don't care if people use mods, I just don't use them a lot myself.

WOW amateurs i guarantee to you that a lot of modders are far more talented then the actual devs of their own games. how ignorant. every game with mods proved this dozen of times. Not to mention the extra content fore free.

More likely, there is a licensing problem with Universal not wanting the name to be associated with whatever the public wants to use it for, and to keep control of it themselves. If it is that, I don't know why they don't just say that.

It'd be neat if they did say that, if that's the problem. It would make more sense and shift the annoyance off of them.

lol this start being stupid.... so mods are bad?

Guys i dont know how old are but mod's its what games made eternal... games like rome/medieval total war, or even paradox games like europa universalis, crusader kings , or the new ones warhammer total war... and so on... the modder community made those games epic.

Logically if you're looking for a GTA mods , where plenty of people without knowldege and respect for the lore of the game upload his mod, then its your problem.... but not the true modder comunity... so please, before talk about how bad are mods, do some research.

It's sad, that this game is closed to modding.

If only there were whole existing franchises that are widely played years after release, kept alive because of the modding available. Maybe a company could allow broad modding as an experiment and see how it goes, like maybe Bethesda or Firaxis might want to try it?

WOW amateurs i guarantee to you that a lot of modders are far more talented then the actual devs of their own games. how ignorant. every game with mods proved this dozen of times. Not to mention the extra content fore free.

Interesting statement... when you actually are ignorant of the talent of devs of a game... your assumption is that what you see, is better than what you don't see... quite an interesting label to call the comment ignorant don't you think?

In the case of FDev... i'd love it if these amazing expert modders, and self appointed experts put their money where their mouth is and wrote their own game engine capable of the things Cobra is... Most of them are actually not capable of it, but still like to talk as though they are the expert that could swoop in and fix all problems if only someone employed them to do so. Same old tired statements get made everywhere... you only have to look around the Frontier forums for about 15 minutes and you will find someone claiming to be an expert programmer in the manner I said there... So much untapped talent apparently? Its likely more true that they represent the coding equivalent of "Someone who could of made it in the NFL, but got a shoulder injury in college"

The actual truth is, that many modders are great at playing with scripts more than actual programming code. There is a difference.
Modding does require a lot of time, effort and sometimes skill, no doubt BUT One does not require more talent than the other but ultimately they are different and drawing such a hard drawn comparison is... as i say... interesting.

Ultimately the reason has likely been already hit... Intellectual property and creative control... they are under contract to protect someone elses intellectual property, and such, allowing mods would undermine that... they are probably under obligation not to give any negetive press to their benefactor too, so arn't going to come out and say "Our hands are tied, they wont let us" as all that'd do is get a bunch of (often childish) gamers on there case.

Last edited:
lol this start being stupid.... so mods are bad?

Guys i dont know how old are but mod's its what games made eternal... games like rome/medieval total war, or even paradox games like europa universalis, crusader kings , or the new ones warhammer total war... and so on... the modder community made those games epic.

Logically if you're looking for a GTA mods , where plenty of people without knowldege and respect for the lore of the game upload his mod, then its your problem.... but not the true modder comunity... so please, before talk about how bad are mods, do some research.

It's sad, that this game is closed to modding.

Just to mention a few others...

Skyrim has great mods.
Battlefield 2 become a game because of Battlefield 1942 mods.
Squad and Post Scriptum is a result of the Battlefield 2 mod Project Reality.
Counter Strike was a mod.
Age of Empire 2 made an expansion Forgotten Empire based on a mod.
Mount & Blade did the same.
Arma has great mods like Dayz and Battleroyal. Which H1Z1 was inspired by then PUBG and Fortnite.
Warcraft 3 with Heroes and Tower defense mods. Extremely popular and also the only reason why I bought WC3 and Frozen Throne

Mods usually enhance the gameplay pretty much it is the only reason why I buy Total War games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom