Surface Supercruise!

• Thread starter Deleted member 121570
  • Start date

Deleted member 121570

D
Hit 32,825 m/s on a gravity well dive last night! :)

<span data-offset-key="replyToPost_t3_8pzxep_initial-0-0"><span data-text="true">[video=youtube_share;zbfvmZmj0z4]https://youtu.be/zbfvmZmj0z4[/video]

Anybody gone any faster, under control? (without the beta module bug or that glitch where you get thrown in a mad spin by a station?)

-Sanderling

Awesome, I did 1700m/s high altitude in a T-10 about 6 months ago, didn't risk diving deep into the well. I think you might have hit the speed record.

[video=youtube;v-pCSKy5gL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pCSKy5gL4[/video]

Highest realspace speed I've ever hit was close to 3km/sec, but that was immediately following being clipped by someone else exiting supercruise and was very much uncontrolled.

Since gravity can accelerate a ship beyond its normal maximum speed, careful maneuvering and thruster control can translate your "fall" into forward velocity. Whether it's a bug is debatable.

Yikes. Gonna have to try this one of these days. Right now, I've gone faster in an SRV than I ever have in a ship in normal space.

Deleted member 121570

D
No pips is just due to me powering down the distributor to save fuel on the drop, same with the shields. Neither are gonna help if I ground the ship anyway :D
I'm not sure it's a bug either, but as was mentioned - conversion of the gravitational pull into forward momentum relative to the planet doing the pulling. As Frontier basically sponsored the recent Speedbowl competition with prizes and press; I'm hopeful it's working as intended.
It's far too much fun not to be :)

No pips is just due to me powering down the distributor to save fuel on the drop, same with the shields. Neither are gonna help if I ground the ship anyway :D
I'm not sure it's a bug either, but as was mentioned - conversion of the gravitational pull into forward momentum relative to the planet doing the pulling. As Frontier basically sponsored the recent Speedbowl competition with prizes and press; I'm hopeful it's working as intended.
It's far too much fun not to be :)
i suppose this is working as intended, you are basicly orbiting the planet.

Probably not working as intended, but since you can't really use it in combat (unlike some prior ways to push past counter thrust enforced velocity limits), they probably aren't in any hurry to change things, especially since the fix could easily have more damaging side effects.

Deleted member 121570

D
Probably not working as intended, but since you can't really use it in combat (unlike some prior ways to push past counter thrust enforced velocity limits), they probably aren't in any hurry to change things, especially since the fix could easily have more damaging side effects.

The only use I can see for it in a combat perspective would be, if you somehow managed to be in a combat situation above a high G world in normal space. Then you just drop & go fast and escape. If you're not sure what you're doing, you'll die anyway. Not much different to just flying a fast ship now then :D

I'm sure it is a valid application of the physics engine; it's just using gravity to overcome your thruster limitation (which arguably, is the real bug). Given FDev seems to approve of it too (due to sponsorship of events using it), I suggest that we can consider it a niche activity that's been a known, but rarely used, part of the non-combat game.

I'm sure it is a valid application of the physics engine

So would many things that don't fit their vision, the networking model, or balance.

The physics model is fully Newtonian and only the always on (even if your thrusters are destroyed or your ship has no power) aspects of flight assist give us velocity or rotational caps, or much of the flight model we know.

it's just using gravity to overcome your thruster limitation (which arguably, is the real bug).

It used to be possible to use thrust to overcome thruster limitations and they stomped that out of existence in Gamma, not long after I figured out how to reliably use a 1.5km/s Viper III in combat (though I did file a bug report). The process worked somewhat similarly to how the gravity assist works now, only was much faster and didn't need any external force. You simply applied inputs that produced a thrust vector that was greater than the automatic FA breaking and kept boosting, which increased your velocity faster than the counter thrust limiter could slow you down.

The 'fix' to this is probably what's responsible for the awkward stalling we see some ships do while maneuvering in combat.

It.. it takes.... -hours- !!?!?!?

You have to build up speed a little bit at a time.

Although each ship handles differently in drop, basic (if dated) details to get you started can be found here: https://i.redd.it/35p3tx94tyk01.png

You can also see the recent Speedbowl stuff on this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/422681-Speed-Bowl-Championships-ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks,

Still I must be thick, but I just don't understand how you are supposed to break past your ship's in-built speed limit this way. Even with Fa-Off and freefalling towards the planet you are not supposed to go any faster than a set speed (mostly for networking purpose), and after trying that -40-60° thing I can't say I've seen the ship behave any differently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom