News Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Two - Announcement (28/06/18)

Hello Commanders,

We are pleased to announce that Chapter Two of the Beyond series of updates is nearly here! Take to the stars in the new Challenger and Krait Mk II, and show those Thargoids what it means to be Elite!

As mentioned in our announcement post, this is the first of the two smaller instalments coming as part of the Elite Dangerous Beyond series of updates, with a larger coming in Q4 of this year, bringing Squadrons and improvements to Mining and Exploration, and much more! If you’d like to contribute ideas and find out more about what’s coming in the Q4 update, please check out our Focused Feedback forums here.

Here's a breakdown of what you can experience in the 3.1 update:

Summary of features:

The galaxy servers will be down tomorrow (June 28) from 8.00 AM (BST) for approximately 9 hours. There is a chance that this could run over, so we really appreciate your patience. As usual with these updates we'll keep you as up to date as possible.

While you wait, join us for a pre-launch livestream tomorrow at 12:00 PM (BST) for a Beyond - Chapter Two recap with members of the development team, on YouTube here.

We'll be posting the changelog tomorrow, and update the thread as information comes in.

Keep an eye on our social media channels too for regular updates on the server status. We will try to respond to as many queries as possible, but we will give everyone advanced notice for when the servers come back online, and social media is your best bet for knowing when the servers are back up and running!

Thanks!

Dunno why I read this as: Update will take 9+ hours, after less than half members of the dev team will be lollygaging instead of doing actual work. Meanwhile we won't provide you with a changelog until the following day because, well, we have no idea what this code is or what it's going to do! lol i kid, but seriously. a stream? no changelog till the morrow yet a stream from the devs who should be actively applything this right in the middle of it? Maybe it'd be projected to take less if, ya know, the team actually applied the patch instead of doing a stream?

Just got back from the gym, now time for some Ark Survival whilst I await the servers to come back. :)

I'm waiting for the patch notes. Krait and Challenger will be a fun distraction for a couple of weeks but realistically the game has been in a VERY BROKEN STATE for a long while now.

I think a lot of people here are hoping that the game-breaking bugs are fixed. Severe massacre-mission issues, Piracy mission issues so bad that they're almost impossible to complete even when you ignore the C&P problems they create now. Assassination issues finding and spawning targets, NPC's ignoring module damage in all situations, Mining issues (refinery bugs and limpet bugs).

Something approaching 80% or more of the core gameplay is currently broken in some way; if not entirely broken, at least broken enough to be an annoyance.

IMO the Elite community is far too patient with FDEV for not kicking up more stink about this - Some of these bugs have existed since 2016, only to be briefly fixed before being re-broken. Sure, you can sandbox your way around the game still, but this far into Elite's development, you'd hope (we were promised and sold) more than a sandbox.

Last edited:
Dunno why I read this as: Update will take 9+ hours, after less than half members of the dev team will be lollygaging instead of doing actual work. Meanwhile we won't provide you with a changelog until the following day because, well, we have no idea what this code is or what it's going to do! lol i kid, but seriously. a stream? no changelog till the morrow yet a stream from the devs who should be actively applything this right in the middle of it? Maybe it'd be projected to take less if, ya know, the team actually applied the patch instead of doing a stream?

No idea how the development is done: does part of the team in Cambridge (?) actually write the code, or is it sub-contracted overseas
From the evidence of the quality of the code-patches and game-code in general, the second option would not be surprising. (Disconnect and lag rather than comment on quality of programmers.).
Although I would have thought a sub-contractor would be certified to an appropriate quality standard, which is not apparant in a obvious manner from the evidence of the game.
Interesting.

Last edited:
It seems to be working just fine for me. Perhaps you have overly high expectations or very low levels of skill.

These are mostly known issues in the official 3.0.5 known issues thread that affect everyone, so they can't be working just fine for you.

It seems that you're not interested in the broken mission types, or don't do much combat, which is perfectly okay - but it disqualifies you from commenting about the expectations or skill levels of other people.

Last edited:
Not the size of the update, as much as the complete pointlessness of it. Especially new ships that AGAIN do not approach the OP FDL, which by the way, has always sucked to fly. This for a game which has sadly not been living up to its potential for many years now.

Deleted member 166264

D
The galaxy servers will be down tomorrow (June 28) from 8.00 AM (BST) for approximately 9 hours. There is a chance that this could run over, so we really appreciate your patience. As usual with these updates we'll keep you as up to date as possible.

While you wait, join us for a pre-launch livestream tomorrow at 12:00 PM (BST) for a Beyond - Chapter Two recap with members of the development team, on YouTube here.

We'll be posting the changelog tomorrow, and update the thread as information comes in.

Keep an eye on our social media channels too for regular updates on the server status. We will try to respond to as many queries as possible, but we will give everyone advanced notice for when the servers come back online, and social media is your best bet for knowing when the servers are back up and running!

Thanks!

That was a horrible time to pick to do the server maintenance. Could it not have waited until the CG event was finished?

I hope that's an error in Coriolis about the non-boost speed, otherwise the Challenger's normal thrusters make it slower than an E-rated T-9!

Tiny_Rick

Banned
It seems to be working just fine for me. Perhaps you have overly high expectations or very low levels of skill.

Try using the trade tab for importing/exporting, see if that works for you. While I don't agree with the arbitrary "80%", I will certainly point out that at least one Beyond mechanic is still completely borked.

Deleted member 166264

D
I guess Frontier employees also prefer to work during the day instead of pulling an all-nighter. Weird, isn't it?

So instead of waiting 11 hours before they start the update they wait 24. Either one would have been better instead of during the event.

Top Bottom